Power Supply dell 330 brick problems

mijffs

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 20, 2019
hi,
new here just joined as i thought most likely place to find an answer.im running a new hdplex 400 and a genuine dell 330w watt powerbrick bought direct from dell.

my system is basically 8700k + vega 56 both underclocked and undervolted to the point where steadystate gaming in battlefield v is showing 220w occasionally spiking to 240w on a kilawatt plug and after a fairly short period of time i get a hard black screen crash and the brick needs to be unplugged before i can use it again (brick is barely warm at this point and restarts as soon as plugged in again).

im thinking the brick tho brand new maybe faulty as i should have 90w headroom above even the apparent spikes of 240w or is this normal/some sort of vega thing? what sort of wattages do others see?

mijffs

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 20, 2019
Unfortunately not,looks like similar issues but no one talking about wattages . few mention undervolting 1080s by 20% but not how much power that equates to I'm reducing power target by 50% and going 1110mv 1105mv on my vega.will try taking my CPU down further and individually testing in CB and timespy but I'm pretty sure I'm not near 330 atmo unless momentary spikes are huge.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Likely triggering overcurrent protection. If it drops output but doesn't turn on for a while that usually mean it's over temp. If resets immediately then usually overcurrent.

Try using a less powerful gpu. Unfortunately it's a mixed of different components that may work together to create high current spikes.

mijffs

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 20, 2019
Was thinking of going for new GPU,love the Vega for bang for the buck but sucks for v.r, unfortunately not an option atmo

mijffs

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 20, 2019
im seeing about 80 watt total system power on desktop ? 8700k engineering sample at default setting so only 4.3 boost clock, 3.7 all core with multicore enhancements off and 65 watt long and short duration power limits

running cpuz stress test alone its about 140 and timespy graphics test alone peaked at 175 total system power, reporting 80 of that in radeon software for gpu.

run both at once and it crashes almost instantly which doesnt seem too far off as sum of both tasks is 315 watts but surely running both at once there will be some duplication/overlap of tasks and power consumption so the total wont be that high or am i thinking about it wrong?

mijffs

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 20, 2019
well second original new dell brick turned up today,put in an old r9 270 undervolted set multicore enhancements to off and clocks to match 8700t including 35w powerlimit.set cpuz stress test running then started furmark and slowly started increasing gpu voltage in 5% increments and sure enough crashed at around 220 again.

mijffs

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 20, 2019
Been awhile,have been speaking to Larry after buying an Nvidia GPU still same problem removed PSU from system and noticed the PSU circuit board was warped.waiting for a replacement hdplex must be out of stock as apparently a German user is going to send a spare.hopefully getting a tracking number today.

Davitto

What's an ITX?
Jan 10, 2020
I have this exact same issue,
When playing CSGO for an extended period everything works fine. But if i start playing battlefield v or call of duty mw4 my system shuts down and the green light on the powerbrick fades.

Then i have to reconnect the power cable to the brick in order to start the computer again.

Worth noting is that everything has worked fine for 2 years prior to this.

Help appreciated

Nibbler

Case Bender
New User
Jun 29, 2018
There's an issue with the new style jack causing the dell bricks to cut out at 240W discussed here that might be affecting you. If you have an old style jack (shown later in that thread) you could try that.