Discussion Decent multimeter?

lozza_c

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 26, 2020
Probably a very useful bit of kit one should add to the SFF toolbox in general. I'm guessing when dealing with electricity this is one area you shouldn't cheap out, or would a £20 offering from Amazon suffice?

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
Depends what you want to do with it, the $20 Chinese meters tend to be a bit less reliable, but they'll do the job. They often tend to be de- or re-branded, but I'd go for one based on a B-Side or Aneng design.

The Uni-T UT61E at $50-60 is generally considered as a more reliable and better performing bang for you buck meter tho, if you want to spend that little bit extra

lozza_c

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 26, 2020
Thanks, I was thinking it could be useful for troubleshooting builds in general. I've also got an ageing monitor I'd like to check the capacitors on.

The Uni-T is definitely within budget, I was looking at the Amprobe AM-530 and Extech EX330 in the mix as well. The Fluke 115/116 has been suggested, but I'm guessing that's probably overkill for this particular use case.

lozza_c

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 26, 2020
The AN860B+ looked to have a respectable writeup so I went for that in the end, which arrived today.

I am by no means experienced when it comes to the electrical side of things, but thought I'd share some pics of the board in case anyone else was looking at this model.

From what I've read most multimeters at this price point come with glass fuses, which should be replaced with ceramic fuses as soon as you can.

One of the fuses supplied here was 500mA, where the board notes 600mA.

I don't believe that's a massive issue(?) but I'll look to replace it with a 600mA ceramic fuse as soon as I can.

Reactions: BaK