DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
nothing fills that market gap atm, except maybe the ghost, but I hate the top hats.

Right!?!
I don't get it! Why is everyone okay with this weird, hackish, bolt on design?
I get that it's a little cheaper, and still pretty small, but as far as I'm concerned, it's completely devoid of character and the bolt-on top hats seem cheap and hacky.

Khaledious

Trash Compacter
Apr 28, 2019
Right!?!
I don't get it! Why is everyone okay with this weird, hackish, bolt on design?
I get that it's a little cheaper, and still pretty small, but as far as I'm concerned, it's completely devoid of character and the bolt-on top hats seem cheap and hacky.

Agreed, I get they were trying to go for versatility, but it gives it a very DIY look.

I agree Dan's design is more aesthetically pleasing and I do appreciate him as a designer, But the reality is whom ever releases first will fill in that gap first and without any ETAs or updates on the C4 it's hard to make a decision. If I knew for sure that case "A" comes out in 2 weeks, and case "B" comes out in 1.5 months, then my preference would definitely outweigh the wait time, but unfortunately this isn't the case. And like you said even if they were both available at the same time, it wouldn't be an easy choice, they are both great in their own way. So the fact that they aren't available or at least announced within a similar time frame makes which ever one comes out first the winner by default.

My opinion mostly comes from the fact that I sold my system in anticipation of the Ryzen 3000 CPUs and am looking to build a system ASAP. Personally I'll just grab which ever case is available at the time, I may even just go for the NCase if neither are available within a reasonable time frame. I'm happy to support Dan or w360 alike, they both seem like great people, and i really appreciate their hard work.

schn1tt3r

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 24, 2018
Did you guys know about the
Sidearmd T1
I just found out about it and it looks promising as hell!

Yes, someone here mentioned that case to me and it does look great. OP and page 94 C4 looks better though. Glad Sidearm guy decided to make single color an option as that will make it look good. More importantly, sidearm thread isn't stuck in limbo like this one.

EDIT: and as for the Ghost S1, yeah that was what I was going to buy even though top hat looks ugly (was gonna put it on the bottom even if worse temps), but then they decided to up their price by over 50 euro with no explanation as to why? No thanks, don't like being taken advantage of just because there are no other options right now.

Last edited:

Khaledious

Trash Compacter
Apr 28, 2019
Yes, someone here mentioned that case to me and it does look great. OP and page 94 C4 looks better though. Glad Sidearm guy decided to make single color an option as that will make it look good. More importantly, sidearm thread isn't stuck in limbo like this one.

EDIT: and as for the Ghost S1, yeah that was what I was going to buy even though top hat looks ugly (was gonna put it on the bottom even if worse temps), but then they decided to up their price by over 50 euro with no explanation as to why? No thanks, don't like being taken advantage of just because there are no other options right now.
Yep, lack of competition isnt healthy :(

Aviswa

Trash Compacter
May 24, 2019

Where did you see that sidearmd will have the single color option? If that’s true, that would be awesome, but was that ever confirmed?

schn1tt3r

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 24, 2018
Where did you see that sidearmd will have the single color option? If that’s true, that would be awesome, but was that ever confirmed?

Color option hasn't been finalized, but on his thread he mentions he is open to having a few color options

FunkEngine

Trash Compacter
Mar 4, 2019
So, based on previous designs, what are the chances of having room for a pump for a custom loop? A monoblock on x570 would be nice to eliminate the chipset fan.

schn1tt3r

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 24, 2018
So, based on previous designs, what are the chances of having room for a pump for a custom loop? A monoblock on x570 would be nice to eliminate the chipset fan.
Where there is a will, there usually is a way... however, seems there is no will left for this project to continue. It's been over a month since last update.

FunkEngine

Trash Compacter
Mar 4, 2019
Where there is a will, there usually is a way... however, seems there is no will left for this project to continue. It's been over a month since last update.
True. And its actually been like 2 since we got the renders coming soon update. I don't think it would take 2 months to do a render, but hey I'm hardly an expert. So I'm hoping that the comment about him deciding himself on the layout is indicative of him taking back control of the project and that we might just see a kickstarter or something as our next update. That said, a quick "hey still alive" post here and there would be nice.

Regardless of how the design turns out, I just want to know what its going to be so that I can decide to wait for production or to move on.

Reactions: ToutNoir

wykydtronik

Trash Compacter
Jun 26, 2018
True. And its actually been like 2 since we got the renders coming soon update. I don't think it would take 2 months to do a render, but hey I'm hardly an expert. So I'm hoping that the comment about him deciding himself on the layout is indicative of him taking back control of the project and that we might just see a kickstarter or something as our next update. That said, a quick "hey still alive" post here and there would be nice.

Regardless of how the design turns out, I just want to know what its going to be so that I can decide to wait for production or to move on.

A4 revision, full time job, new born, all the bickering that went on in this thread... I'm sure Dan has his plate full.

arkitec

Cable Smoosher
Apr 27, 2019
Dear Dan,

This question may already came up but was wondering if this C4 case allow back to back layout?
I meant same orientation as A4? Back of MOBO and GPU are facing each other.
Thank you,

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
I suspect it's difficult to be in Dan's shoes. How does one proceed when the <10L competition is talking up an adjustable, sandwiched, CNC'd case for release this year at US $200? Focusing on the A4 makes sense, especially if there's demand. Unless the C4 can offer meaningful improvement over other efforts then perhaps it's best to focus on the ~7L niche.

NIIV3X

Cable Smoosher
Jun 15, 2018
I suspect it's difficult to be in Dan's shoes. How does one proceed when the <10L competition is talking up an adjustable, sandwiched, CNC'd case for release this year at US $200? Focusing on the A4 makes sense, especially if there's demand. Unless the C4 can offer meaningful improvement over other efforts then perhaps it's best to focus on the ~7L niche.
What brings me back personally and probably others too is the simplistic yet elegant design combined with the small itx form factor on top of a choosable hardware layout. Something I have yet to find elsewhere.

schn1tt3r

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 24, 2018

I see your point, but I'd get Dan's C4 on page 94 or page 1 just because it looks better. I don't care a little increase in size, I just really really like how the C4 looks. I'm sure I am not the only one.

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
Same, I just want to be able to see the parts I paid 1000s for without also cooking them, or under-voting etc. Just want a clean TG SFF system, with regular boost clocks (Don't need an OC) , nothing fills that market gap atm, except maybe the ghost, but I hate the top hats.

Like a lot of people in this thread I've been looking for this and weighing the sidearm as a potential option was well. I think however, the og sff case, the m1 is getting overlooked. It can provide what you are looking for with some interesting pros/cons vs the sidearm and c4.

It was floated in the m1 v6 revision thread it may come with a full tempered glass panel option (rather than a window within a frame) as well as a grey colour (anodized) which is popular these days. Given where the case market is today and that @Necere and @Wahaha360 seem pretty in tune with it, the the full tg panel seems highly likely.

An m1 with a tg panel an a d9l, u9s, atlas or probably several other coolers is not just capable of hitting the boost clocks but even some decent (but not extreme) overclocks. The m1 also carries the advantage of those two fans right below the GPU. While the peak performance from comes from swapping an accelero for your gpu's heatsink (and voiding warranty) one can just remove the shroud and fans from their GPU and get a pretty significant increase in cooling from the fan upgrade (and thus hit those boost clocks on their GPU more often). If you need warranty support just screw the fans/shroud back on. If going this route it is important to either have the fans right against the heatsink or to make a shroud to funnel all the fan's airflow through the heatsink. Some really great results have actually come from running these bottom fans as exhaust and gets excellent airflow going through the case.

While I could be wrong, I imagine the majority of buyers would get much more benefit out the m1's decent cpu cooling and superior GPU cooling than a c4/sidearm with decent GPU cooling and superior cpu cooling.

I'm still somewhat on the fence and awaiting some thermal tests for the sidearm, but at this point I'm leaning toward the m1. I've seen a few threads either discounting the m1's cooling potential or not even considering it, but I think a lot of that comes from a lack of awareness of the different ways in which the m1's airflow can be configured. There's a lot of other pros/cons I've weighed but at this point my post is is pretty long winded, so I'll leave it at this for now and await the @optimumtech video testing the sidearm.

Shinken1

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 3, 2019
Like a lot of people in this thread I've been looking for this and weighing the sidearm as a potential option was well. I think however, the og sff case, the m1 is getting overlooked. It can provide what you are looking for with some interesting pros/cons vs the sidearm and c4.

Ncase is a proven case and good to see it's getting improvements, I just do not think it looks very pretty - maybe its the angled front panel & the front / IO.
For me I want a small & good looking case, Sidearm, C4 & Mjolnir seem to fit the bill but do not actually exist yet

Status
Not open for further replies.