DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

giraffesinmybalcony

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 15, 2018
just a quick sidenote that the number of available cards on the market for 2070, 2080ti, etc should not dictate the number of slots of the case. instead it should probably be better if it is based on the market percentage by which the cards hold for each category. i.e.: users looking at the rtx2080ti would most likely go for more well known brands such as the Asus Strix ROG RTX2080ti instead of cards like PowerColor or Palit.

Reactions: papsicleboy

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
just a quick sidenote that the number of available cards on the market for 2070, 2080ti, etc should not dictate the number of slots of the case. instead it should probably be better if it is based on the market percentage by which the cards hold for each category. i.e.: users looking at the rtx2080ti would most likely go for more well known brands such as the Asus Strix ROG RTX2080ti instead of cards like PowerColor or Palit.

Nah, it should just be 2 slots, cause this is SFF and sometimes you have to make sacrifices, like not being able to buy a certain graphics card.

If you want to be able to fit any and all GPU's under the sun, NZXT makes a really great micro atx and atx case for you.

giraffesinmybalcony

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 15, 2018
Nah, it should just be 2 slots, cause this is SFF and sometimes you have to make sacrifices, like not being able to buy a certain graphics card.

If you want to be able to fit any and all GPU's under the sun, NZXT makes a really great micro atx and atx case for you.
if that is the reason of justification, then you might as well drop the aio support and reduce the supported gpu length to the typical sff size. just because it is sff, doesnt mean that you should limit it to a certain number of slots when there is still room for the possibility.

and just to be clear that you understand what i'm saying in the previous post, im suggesting that we take a look at what card width is the most popular among users of each of the category and not the most common card width in the market among each of the category. please do not derail the conversation and turn it into a toxic discussion just to further your own agenda.

and emphasis that Asus Strix ROG RTX2080Ti is only mentioned as an example to further illustrate the point

Last edited:

dapperlilsailor

Caliper Novice
Sep 9, 2018
I think someone mentioned this earlier, but I feel like a good intermediate step at this point would be to update the first page with the new directions and details associated with them. We've hit 100 pages and there's SO MUCH information scattered across them. For instance, the new C4 sandwich is 10.3(?) liters and the one, same config, on the front page, is 9.85 liters. I don't even remember where the change is coming from. XD

Reactions: Killinger and BillT

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@dapperlilsailor: I will do it after the survey is done + making the drawings up to date.

@All Slot questions:
Currently we have over 400 votes. With 52,1% for 2Slot, 26,7% 2.5 Slot, 12,6% 2,75 Slot and 8,6% 3 Slot.

Maybe I have a crazy idea. What whould you say if I make everything possible. This means C4 sandwich layout + classic Layout in one case, support for all GPUs up to 3 Slot in classic layout and 2,75 Slot for sandwich layout. Support für big heatsinks like Noctua C14 or U9S and 240 AIOs. This case would have a size of (149 (W) x 237,5 x (H) x 310 (L) = 11L. It would be a exteme flexible case.

Last edited:

Killinger

Average Stuffer
Jun 25, 2018
@dapperlilsailor:

Maybe I have a crazy idea. What whould you say if I make everything possible. This means C4 sandwich layout + classic Layout in one case, support for all GPUs up to 3 Slot in classic layout and 2,75 Slot for sandwich layout. Support für big heatsinks like Noctua C14 or U9S and 240 AIOs. This case would have a size of (149 (W) x 237,5 x (H) x 310 (L) = 11L. It would be a exteme flexible case.

As much as I dislike that the case seems to be getting bigger and bigger, this seems like a great compromise. I would prefer the original sandwich as footprint is personally my biggest concern, but it seems like a good way to make everyone happy. Ill be curious to see what everyone else thinks

Reactions: chyll2

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Last edited:

NIIV3X

Cable Smoosher
Jun 15, 2018
I've made myself a reference out of an A4 piece of paper just now and a width increase to ~150mm I would strongly try to avoid. It would absolutely ruin the aestethics of the case in my opinion as the width/height ratio would near a thick and clunky look instead of the sleek intial design! If I was to answer another survey I'd still go with a max height of 2 slot cards if it kept the width of the case at ~130mm just for the aesthetics sake. The idea of combing both layouts I find attractive as well though and if you deem it a worthy compromise, I personally could live with a case width of ~140mm (Regarding the connector bridge)! Anything larger though and I'd really have to struggle with myself.

BillT

Average Stuffer
Jan 26, 2019
@gotcha43:
I can include them. If I would do it my will be custom one.

@All: Please write what you think about the new idea and don't just press the Like button XD
If you manage to reduce the width to 140mm with those special connectors, this crazy idea will be by far the best mITX case ever.

10.3L, supports both C4 sandwich and PC classic. Supports 240AIO/C14, Up to 3 slot. And with a footprint slightly larger than the C4 sandwich only. Reversible.

That's like Nacse M1 but way more versatile, way more compact and way sleeker looking.

gotcha43

Average Stuffer
Dec 10, 2018
What will then be the max GPU size? Height is clear, but length and width are not clear. GPUs become Shorter, but wider.

DaveMan20

Caliper Novice
May 12, 2018
@dondan I think you should just go with the current design for either the C4 or A4 layout, whichever you decide. There has been to many proposed changes and people are already starting to lose interest. I would just stick with the current design, whilst implementing the survey results and stick to that. You will never be able to please everyone and the current design will look much more aesthetic.

Reactions: papsicleboy

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
@gotcha43:
@All: Please write what you think about the new idea and don't just press the Like button XD
I personally like the flexibility. I dont mind the increase in volume (but it would be good if if you can lower it) but my main concern would be the pricing.

I dont know how the Flexible mounting or layout will be delivered but I am sure it will involve a few parts that may increase the final price.

Reactions: BillT

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@BillT
But keep in mind with 140mm it requires the special 180° PCIe power bridge. Furthermore I have include many of them: 2x 8pin type-A 2x 8pin type-B, 1x 6pin type-A and 1x 6pin type-B, because there are cards with PCIe face in top or buttom direction. Or I made a special extiension cable with a special PCIe male housing.

@gotcha43
Here are the values based on the 149mm thick version.

For the horizontal GPU position it will be:
  • width: 3 Slot (58-60mm)
  • length: 305mm
  • height: Nvidia reference height (from slot bracket buttom to top 126,7mm from PCIe socket buttom to top 111mm [most manufacturer use this value]) so we have 19mm for the PCIe power cables. Some cards have heatsinks or heatpipe bend that are higher than the PCIe power socket. This will work if these zone is not higher than 19mm. So for the height the PCIe power socket is interesting.
For the vertical GPU position it will be:

• width: 2,75 Slot (53-55mm)
  • height: from slot bracket buttom to top 165,7mm from PCIe socket buttom to top 150mm [most manufacturer use this value]
@chyll2:
If we go for 150mm width the price will be similar to old C4.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
+1 for your new crazy idea Dan. The C4-SFX Flexible Edition! Maybe the C4-SFleX...

Although I would prefer a narrow case, for the most minimal footprint on my desk, If you can keep the width down to 140mm I think this will be one of the best possible compromises. 11L is still really small.

Would the Sandwich/Classic layout be one that would need to be chosen initially, with the different versions only sharing a common exterior shell? Or, would the case be able to be reconfigured to either layout at any time?

gotcha43

Average Stuffer
Dec 10, 2018
@gotcha43
Here are the values based on the 149mm thick version.

For the horizontal GPU position it will be:
  • width: 3 Slot (58-60mm)
  • height: Nvidia reference height (from slot bracket buttom to top 126,7mm from PCIe socket buttom to top 111mm [most manufacturer use this value]) so we have 19mm for the PCIe power cables. Some cards have heatsinks or heatpipe bend that are higher than the PCIe power socket. This will work if these zone is not higher than 19mm. So for the height the PCIe power socket is interesting.
For the vertical GPU position it will be:

• width: 2,75 Slot (53-55mm)
  • height: from slot bracket buttom to top 165,7mm from PCIe socket buttom to top 150mm [most manufacturer use this value]
Maybe you can make a lil' compatibility List, when it's time. That would help much.
111mm sound quiete narrow though.

Status
Not open for further replies.