DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@Bonusround No the PSU bracket is not rotateable. So if you flip the case that the radiator is on top the PSU will exhaust over the bottom.

I admire how the top cover now drops down over the edges onto the left and right sides – the single piece is seamless, with fewer lines. Very nice.

In a similar vein, would you consider removing the bottom flange and extending the side panels flush to the bottom of the case, similar to the sides on the A4? The single-piece sides of the A4 give it such a clean look

Sorry but I don't get it. In the first quote you wrote that you like the flange and in the second one you ask to change it. Nevertheless the flange is necessary to give the part structual stiffness. On the bottom side there is no internal structur where the outer panel can rest because there is the radiator. If I now remove the flange the panel will bend.

@All: I will check sandblasted finish with Lian Li.

Tephnos

Average Stuffer
Jul 5, 2017
Glad to see the mass support. w360 mentioned that it would be too costly to do on the NCASE due to lack of volume by having it as an optional side panel kit.

Integrating it as a primary finish of the case should solve that volume issue I would think, which would be perfect.

dapperlilsailor

Caliper Novice
Sep 9, 2018
I'd like this to be my last case for quite a while, so I'd be DELIGHTED to pay extra for blasting. I mean, I feel like this is a premium case, and since SFF often means compromise in many other areas I think it makes sense to go all the way in this respect.

Arrandale

Trash Compacter
Jan 14, 2018
Sandblasted Aluminium looks worlds more clean and high-quality than brushed. I would totally accept a price increase if thats necessary.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Hurdles for the secondary operations (bead blast / anodize / etch ) are increased MOQ, increased scrap rate, etc. The consumer price increase will likely be orders of magnitude (4 to 5x) higher than what it costs LL to do.

blindphleb

Average Stuffer
Feb 7, 2018
@Maniac: You are right with the GPU above the motherboard. It will be 54mm + 5mm (Backplate GPU Zone) for the pump. Normally the backplate is 3mm, so you have 57mm of total space for the pump. Default Asetek AIOs need 40-45mm and the NZXT X52 53mm.
That's a major bummer. I don't see any significant benefit of placing the GPU above the motherboard besides slightly better custom watercooling routing. That is a benefit most won't use as most will just use a 240AIO and an air cooled GPU.

Was it a significant cost savings compared to the A4 configuration?

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
In the first quote you wrote that you like the flange and in the second one you ask to change it. Nevertheless the flange is necessary to give the part structural stiffness. On the bottom side there is no internal structur where the outer panel can rest because there is the radiator. If I now remove the flange the panel will bend.
Ah, I think my explanation was misunderstood – apologies. Let me respond later with a picture to better describe this.

No the PSU bracket is not rotatable. So if you flip the case that the radiator is on top the PSU will exhaust over the bottom.
Hm, that seems sub-optimal. If the PSU exhausts downward, won't the fans then pull that hot air back up through the case?

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@blindphleb: As I mentioned before I thinking of doing a survey/poll to answer if we should go with GPU above motherboard (current C4) or behind motherboard (A4 like). The main dissadvantage of GPU behind motherboard is the need of an flexible riser cable. Currently no PCIe gen4 hardware exists but it can create problems on cheaper a flexible riser that are in the same class as an hard/pcb based riser.

Furthermore the Window Kit will be more expansive because I need to made it for left and right panel.
Also it can creates problem for dual 120mm AIO usage because tubes routing will be hard and ugly.

@Bonusround: In every constalation a part of this heat will go through the radiator, also if you can rotate it.

Reactions: Talyrius

seamon

Caliper Novice
Mar 9, 2017
@blindphleb: As I mentioned before I thinking of doing a survey/poll to answer if we should go with GPU above motherboard (current C4) or behind motherboard (A4 like). The main dissadvantage of GPU behind motherboard is the need of an flexible riser cable. Currently no PCIe gen4 hardware exists but it can create problems on cheaper a flexible riser that are in the same class as an hard/pcb based riser.

Furthermore the Window Kit will be more expansive because I need to made it for left and right panel.
Also it can creates problem for dual 120mm AIO usage because tubes routing will be hard and ugly.

@Bonusround: In every constalation a part of this heat will go through the radiator, also if you can rotate it.

Isn't PCIE 4.0 same as PCIE 3.0 electrically so the slot should be exactly the same so the current should work no problem.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@seamon The slot is not the problem. The data signal speed can create problems. With PCIe gen4 and higher we will have crazy signal speeds and less tolerance for signal delay. For the 3M riser i don't see problems because it has a very good twin axial shielding but on other risers this speeds can create more cross talk between data wires. Also the cable length will increase the delay.

On a short PCB based riser you will not have these problems. You will have short signal ways and a ground layer between each signal wire (like Twin Axial).

Keep in mind I never tested PCIe gen4 so I could be wrong and many flexible risers does not have any problems with it. But there will be speed in a future that you can't send over current flexible solutions.

Irvine

What's an ITX?
Jan 23, 2019
Oh, this case still not out yet? Basically, you cant see both sides of the case at the same time and no one gonna put pc case on a spinning showcase while using. In my opinion, within a sff case, cable management and aio tube is pain, with one side panel, you can still hide the cable somehow, but with both, they are all exposed. Double panel is expensive and redundant. What's more, if you put gpu behind the motherboard, the m.2 slot on the back of pcb is not usable anymore because of the high temperature and lack of a heat sink compared with the other one on the front. Personally, current C4 design is just perfect for me once flipped :D, just want to buy one asap.

david.giessing

Trash Compacter
Jul 3, 2018
Oh, this case still not out yet? Basically, you cant see both sides of the case at the same time and no one gonna put pc case on a spinning showcase while using. In my opinion, within a sff case, cable management and aio tube is pain, with one side panel, you can still hide the cable somehow, but with both, they are all exposed. Double panel is expensive and redundant. What's more, if you put gpu behind the motherboard, the m.2 slot on the back of pcb is not usable anymore because of the high temperature and lack of a heat sink compared with the other one on the front. Personally, current C4 design is just perfect for me once flipped :D, just want to buy one asap.
I do not understand your comments on the backside m.2 slot: The backside m.2 is always sandwhiched between the mobo and the mounting plate, in a single chamber design as well as a dual chamber.

Flotsch

Minimal Tinkerer
Jan 24, 2019
I do not understand your comments on the backside m.2 slot: The backside m.2 is always sandwhiched between the mobo and the mounting plate, in a single chamber design as well as a dual chamber.

That would be true for most cases. If you take a look at DAN's first renderings though, you can see that there isn't much of a mounting plate - it's basically a giant hole. So a m.2 SSD in the back of the mobo would actually face the perforated side panel directly.

david.giessing

Trash Compacter
Jul 3, 2018
That would be true for most cases. If you take a look at DAN's first renderings though, you can see that there isn't much of a mounting plate - it's basically a giant hole. So a m.2 SSD in the back of the mobo would actually face the perforated side panel directly.
Just went back and looked at it. It indeed seems to be like you say.
@dondan can you confirm that your current design still features the large motherboard cutout?

DaveMan20

Caliper Novice
May 12, 2018
@dondan Looking forward to the survey/poll for the A4 layout. It seems the majority of the community prefer the A4 layout, but it would be interesting to see the poll results. I can't pass up on the A4 layout simply because I could have a glass panel and also a vented panel for the GPU.

Tephnos

Average Stuffer
Jul 5, 2017
So if I'm not going crazy, earlier on in the thread you mentioned about experimenting with using an array of magnets in the frame to help hold the TG side panel on, right?

Would you also be able to use these magnets to employ the use of a magnetic side intake filter (for the GPU) much like how the NCASE uses its side bracket to affix one? The aftermarket magnetic filters people use for the M1 are no good IMO, the mesh is far too dense. The magnetic one that comes with the NCASE is a nice compromise I believe and if we could get that working in the C4 as well that would be excellent.

Would be a nice addition for those of us who don't care about TG and just want the best thermals.

Status
Not open for further replies.