Not open for further replies.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Survey three reloaded!

Hi there,

this is the third survey for the C4-SFX again. I restarted the old one, because I included a new option and a new voting mechanism. In this survey you will be able to give every design a score. 3 points will be the highest score while 1 is the lowest. The advantage of this mechanism is, that I will also respect your opinion about the other options.

Link to survey:
Google Forms Survey

Thank you for your help!

Chrip

Average Stuffer
Nov 16, 2017
just voted. The 3rd version looks so amazing. Need this case to be in production asap and if possible to include support for a 3.5 drive XD.

Reactions: Metroversal

Mallot

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2017
What about some logo cutout for the tempered glass panel? I can't imagine temps would be good when the card is pressed up against a solid piece of glass.

Chrip

Average Stuffer
Nov 16, 2017
couple of questions

1. Where will the drives be mounted. In one of the pics it looks like it would go above one of the exhaust fans. Would this mess with airflow?
2. Any possibility of 3.5" drive support
3. Any testing done yet on temps? I have never seen a setup with just two exhaust fans, so I'm really curious about temps would look like
4. Any version where the bottom of the chasis, isn't exposing the radiator? like have the top and bottom of the case be the same, so if I flip the case the radiator isn't exposed?

Thanks

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
couple of questions

1. Where will the drives be mounted. In one of the pics it looks like it would go above one of the exhaust fans. Would this mess with airflow?
2. Any possibility of 3.5" drive support
3. Any testing done yet on temps? I have never seen a setup with just two exhaust fans, so I'm really curious about temps would look like
4. Any version where the bottom of the chasis, isn't exposing the radiator? like have the top and bottom of the case be the same, so if I flip the case the radiator isn't exposed?

Thanks

I am pretty sure 3. hasn't been done yet. Since its a concept...

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@Mallot: I will test it. I think the temps will be good because of the airflow through the case generated by the two 120mm bottom fans.
@Chrip:
1. Yes above the fan. Yes it will reduce the airflow. But you can remove the bay install a 2,5" HDD at the front area (behind the front panel) and use a up to 2x M.2 drives on the ITX board.
2. Sorry I am not a fan of 3.5" drives in combination with SFF. So no there is no default support for 3.5" drives.
3. At first I need a sample. I am currently in the design state after that I will order a prototype.
4. If you flip the case you will be able to attach the side panel normally so the radiator will be covered.

Chrip

Average Stuffer
Nov 16, 2017
@Mallot: I will test it. I think the temps will be good because of the airflow through the case generated by the two 120mm bottom fans.
@Chrip:
1. Yes above the fan. Yes it will reduce the airflow. But you can remove the bay install a 2,5" HDD at the front area (behind the front panel) and use a up to 2x M.2 drives on the ITX board.
2. Sorry I am not a fan of 3.5" drives in combination with SFF. So no there is no default support for 3.5" drives.
3. At first I need a sample. I am currently in the design state after that I will order a prototype.
4. If you flip the case you will be able to attach the side panel normally so the radiator will be covered.

Thanks for the responses. I am ok with just going 2.5" XD, especially now that I know I can mount it in the front panel.

What I meant by hiding the radiator is will there be an option to have a panel on the bottom of the case? so that the radiator can't be touched without removing a panel. That way the top and bottom of the case have the same panels? or atleast have a bottom panel like the a4? not sure if that will interfere with airflow or not, just wondering if that was a viable option?

Thanks!

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Ok this is hard to explain because the reason is the construction of the case. Normally if I would make a cover plate also on the bottom the sheet needs bends on each side. On the bottom both bends have to face in the same direction so the radiator must fit between the bends. This would result in a thickness of

Outer Panel left (2mm) + left bend (1,4mm) + 0,5mm puffer zone + 124mm radiator width + 0,5mm puffer zone + right bend (1,4mm) + Outer Panel right (2mm) = 131,8mm

In my design these bends are on the middle plate so I can make one bend facing upwards and one downwards. Furthermore the radiator will not mounted on the middle plate there will be the fans first so you also save a lot of mm:

Outer Panel left (2mm) 2,25mm puffer zone + 120mm fan width + 0,85mm puffer zone + right bend (1,4mm) + Outer Panel right (2mm) = 128,5mm.

Here is fast made drawing to visualize it:

And no mounting the fan on the bottom plate and then the raditor would not work because it is very important that the intace of the fan has no blocking mesh and enough free room to work on max performance. In any other way you will lose airflow.

Chrip

Average Stuffer
Nov 16, 2017
Ok this is hard to explain because the reason is the construction of the case. Normally if I would make a cover plate also on the bottom the sheet needs bends on each side. On the bottom both bends have to face in the same direction so the radiator must fit between the bends. This would result in a thickness of

Outer Panel left (2mm) + left bend (1,4mm) + 0,5mm puffer zone + 124mm radiator width + 0,5mm puffer zone + right bend (1,4mm) + Outer Panel right (2mm) = 131,8mm

In my design these bends are on the middle plate so I can make one bend facing upwards and one downwards. Furthermore the radiator will not mounted on the middle plate there will be the fans first so you also save a lot of mm:

Outer Panel left (2mm) 2,25mm puffer zone + 120mm fan width + 0,85mm puffer zone + right bend (1,4mm) + Outer Panel right (2mm) = 128,5mm.

Here is fast made drawing to visualize it:

And no mounting the fan on the bottom plate and then the raditor would not work because it is very important that the intace of the fan has no blocking mesh and enough free room to work on max performance. In any other way you will lose airflow.

That makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me in such detail. Much appreciated!

omega24

Caliper Novice
Dec 11, 2017
2.5" Drives get pretty expensive for the high capacity versions. Since 3.5" drives provide the best price is there no way you would be able or willing to make a slot for one? Maybe move the PSU down a bit so one could be fit in the top of the case? I guess I'm not super familiar with how you've designed this case so far, just giving some input. I would love to be able to fit one into this case.

omega24

Caliper Novice
Dec 11, 2017
@jtd871 It's mostly games. I have about 3TB of games and programs right now. I could probably uninstall a bunch just to drop that size, but I don't like uninstalling games and then having to reinstall when I want to play them. I'm using a 6TB 3.5" drive.

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
@Hifihedgehog: There are other mITX cases that have ODD support. Here's an older water-cooled FT-03 Mini with a slim ODD in it.
Not to go off-topic, but that’s way too big at 17-plus liters. My 12-liter RVZ02 has slim ODD support and full-length GPU support. I am after a sub-10 liter case with support for a slim, tray loading ODD and full length GPUs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.