DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
On the first view 1 liter more or less sounds much but if you see the case on your desk it isn't that much. I think the biggest factor that would be change on the new layout is that width of the case and this will be a visible factor. I think this is @Tephnos problem.

Last edited:

Tephnos

Average Stuffer
Jul 5, 2017
Yes. Wider cases have a larger footprint by nature. The NCASE is fairly wide, so the C4 being quite a bit thinner was great - and is the biggest benefit to vertical/sandwiched configurations - not so great when it starts getting wider to accommodate horizontal GPUs.

What caused the first increase in volume?

I don't even remember anymore to be honest.

Killinger

Average Stuffer
Jun 25, 2018
Yes.

I accepted a size increase from the original <10L, but another increase is pushing it past my limit. It's no longer the case I was so enamored with originally.

I don't disagree with you, I and a lot of people in here were interested in this case because they wanted to use a 2 slot card with a 240mm aio on a high-end CPU, and in my opinion, the original layout was far and away the best. I do feel that if it was entirely up to me and a few other members on this forum here, we'd be back to the original sub-10L case. However, I've been following this project for a year now and at this point just feel fatigued. Maybe this is an example of too much community feedback ended up changing the original vision of the project, or maybe Dan is getting to the point where he's spent so much time on this project that every time he looks at it, he is looking 2 or 3 revisions ahead. As a fellow creative, I don't blame him in the slightest, overthinking problems come with the territory. Maybe the real solution is to ask @dondan what do you really want for your C4? Were all here because we believe in your designs, maybe you should just build the case that you are passionate about.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@blindphleb:
Here are all relevant designs:

C4-SFX - original v1
  • 1. post of this thread = 9,85L (128*239*322) / April 2018
C4-SFX - original v1.1
  • optimized for better cable management und screw less side panel mounting = 10.4L (130*247*323) /January 2019

C4-SFX - flexible1
  • supporting classic and sandwich layout, fits normal PCIe power cables = 11L (149*237,5*310) / January 2019
C4-SFX - flexible2
  • supporting classic and sandwich layout, includes spec. PCIe Low Profile power cables = 10,3L (140*237,5*310) / January 2019

@Killinger: I worthy follower of the A4. It doesn't matter how long it takes to find it. I don't wan't 10 different cases in every volume class I want only one in every class. For examle one in 0-5L (maybe a future product), one in 5-9L (A4-SFX) and one in 9-12L (C4-SFX).

DKsystem

Average Stuffer
Sep 13, 2016
3 slot width and tight height?
Seems unbalanced to me. Most cards will fit in the vertical layout.
Looks like the only plus for the horizontal layout there is higher CPU heatsink, and that's not a really plus for me when i can utilize a 240 aio.

Last edited:
Reactions: teajanky

BillT

Average Stuffer
Jan 26, 2019
Can't see why anyone would hate on Flexible 2 when it's 0.45L larger and 0.1L smaller than Original 1 and 1.1 respectively. If Dan retains the ability to flip, so the GPU takes in air from the top, GPU temp is easily solved as well.

The only concern is price. But when you have the best possible case for literally every build, the price is easily justified. Like @dondan said, one case for each size class, doesn't matter how long it takes to find it.

If Flex2 can be done, it will be 2.3L smaller than Ncase, much narrower at 140mm vs 160mm, supports sandwich and classic layout, the same cooling with up to 3slot 240 AIO and Noctua C14(next gen version will have even better compatibility), can be flipped, has a sleeker front panel, and has sandblasted anodized finish.

Sounds like a perfect case to me.

DarkForce

Efficiency Noob
Jan 31, 2019
3 slot width and tight height?
Seems unbalanced to me. Most cards will fit in the vertical layout.
Looks like the only plus for the horizontal layout there is higher CPU heatsink, and that's not a really plus for me when i can utilize a 240 aio.

Same, at first looking at the 3 bottom slot compatibility seemed awesome. Then noticed that most GPU that approach 3 slots are also taller than reference. So it's more for those who want to proceed with air cooling.

Still 2.75 slot compatibility for taller GPU mounted vertically is perhaps more than sufficient for most.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@DarkForce:

Prominent 3 Slot cards like ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2080 Advanced or EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC Ultra Gaming will fit.

Reactions: DarkForce

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Can the Flexible 2 still be flipped?

As BillT mentioned, graphics Card/radiator at the top seems like it would result in better thermals.

gotcha43

Average Stuffer
Dec 10, 2018
Yeah, flipping feature should stay to get best flexibility.

Also front instead of sidemounted PSU to deal with compatibility issues of NH-C14 with 140mm fan.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
Can't see why anyone would hate on Flexible 2 when it's 0.45L larger and 0.1L smaller than

I think peoples' concern is not so much the volume increase, but the width increase. It's nearly a half inch wider. It's right on that edge of changing form factor, going from a thicker slim case, to more of a standard width case. You could barely grab a hold of the A4 with one hand before it was so thick, it'll definitely need 2 hands to grab it now more like a traditional case.

Tephnos

Average Stuffer
Jul 5, 2017
I think peoples' concern is not so much the volume increase, but the width increase. It's nearly a half inch wider. It's right on that edge of changing form factor, going from a thicker slim case, to more of a standard width case. You could barely grab a hold of the A4 with one hand before it was so thick, it'll definitely need 2 hands to grab it now more like a traditional case.

This. The width is what kills it for comparatively little gain for everyone who was 100% fine with v1 and v1.1. Then, if we talk the GPU power board extensions, we get into technicals. How well will they be made? How much voltage droop are we talking about from utilising them? If it's bad enough to affect the stability of overclocks, then we have a problem. How much does it add onto the cost to have ones that won't cause issues?

If I wanted a wider case, I'd be looking at what w360 is currently doing. But I'm not a fan, so here I am.

RockZors

Trash Compacter
Aug 21, 2018
@dondan

Do you think we could see a rough render of the size differences side by side of the 4 configurations?
C4-SFX - original v1
C4-SFX - original v1.1
C4-SFX - flex 1
C4-SFX - flex 2

That might help people with the size concerns.

giraffesinmybalcony

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 15, 2018

you're concerned about half inch? assuming you're talking about the change from 130mm to 140mm, that's 10mm. if you calculate the percentage increase in width, that's 7.14% from the original.
say someone is originally 50kg, does an additional 7.14% increase in weight to 53.57kg noticeable? this is definitely not an apples to apples comparison, but it does highlight the fact that your concern of an additional half inch makes little sense. unless of course you have a particularly great set of eyes that a majority of people wouldnt have.

If I wanted a wider case, I'd be looking at what w360 is currently doing. But I'm not a fan, so here I am.
just to recap that the wahaha360's SideArmD has a width of 135mm, while the C4 as of right now is either +14mm or -7mm for all the designs proposed so far. you really have to think if that centimeter would make any difference to the overall aesthetic of the case

Reactions: Talyrius and Hudbox

Tephnos

Average Stuffer
Jul 5, 2017
you're concerned about half inch? assuming you're talking about the change from 130mm to 140mm, that's 10mm. if you calculate the percentage increase in width, that's 7.14% from the original.
say someone is originally 50kg, does an additional 7.14% increase in weight to 53.57kg noticeable? this is definitely not an apples to apples comparison, but it does highlight the fact that your concern of an additional half inch makes little sense. unless of course you have a particularly great set of eyes that a majority of people wouldnt have.

just to recap that the wahaha360's SideArmD has a width of 135mm, while the C4 as of right now is either +14mm or -7mm for all the designs proposed so far. you really have to think if that centimeter would make any difference to the overall aesthetic of the case

It's quite obvious you don't think it does, going purely by the numbers.

I can assure you that in person, it makes a big difference. My standpoint remains unchanged.

Hudbox

Cable Smoosher
Oct 3, 2018
I have no issue with the C4 being 140mm or 149mm I currently have my rig in a Ghost S1 which is 140mm wide and to me looking at that case it's pretty damn slim already, adding 9mm if the C4 is going to go that way is'nt going to make much visual difference.

dapperlilsailor

Caliper Novice
Sep 9, 2018
My main concern is that doing the flex version will compromise the ability to install water cooling in the sandwich layout. With the flex version, the radiator HAS to be on the GPU side of the mobo. One end of the rad will be blocked by the PSU and the other by the hard riser. Maybe I'm missing something but when I lay it out in SketchUp I don't feel confident in my ability to fit the tubes, AIO or custom, into the spaces left.

Status
Not open for further replies.