DAN C4-SFX

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
How about making top panel cutout smaller, so power button and USB port end up in it's center?
That probably would require making power button smaller, but that's better as well IMO -- there's way too little of visual padding from the edge.
^ A second to this suggestion.

Please adjust the button + port placement to be visually centered within the cutout.

As currently depicted it looks like a mistake…

Mitohondri

Caliper Novice
Dec 14, 2021
@dondan can you clarify one more thing.

On first page its stated: "Two 120 or 140mm fan mount points at the top of the case allows for indirect GPU cooling if you remove the preinstalled GPU fans."
but the picture shows GPU that is not deshrouded with installed fans on top.

Does GPU need to be deshrouded or for some GPU models fans can be installed without removing GPU fans?

Thank you in advance

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
The GPU Zone is ~ 65mm so you have following options:

- 2 Slot cards add 120/140mm standard fans on top
- 2.5 Slot cards add 120/140mm slim fans on top
- 2.75 Slot cards there is not enough room to install fans on top so keep the card as it is ore desroud it and use your own fans.
- 3 Slot cards there is not enough room to install fans on top so keep the card as it is ore desroud it and use your own fans.

BennyBait

Caliper Novice
Jun 12, 2019
Hey, so i just found out to use C14s cooler in this case, I need to remove the bottom plate which exposed a big opening in the bottom of the case. Is it possible to somehow not have a big hole on the case… the feeling of bare tower cooler without some kind of protect frame isn’t great. Also I can’t use C4 for traveling as carry-on in airport because there’s a big hole that is not safe. AIO cooler is not an option because it has liquid in it.

On a side note, I currently have a Dan A4 with a liquid AIO and use it for travelling as carry on luggage with no problems.

Regarding the cut out for the c14, I too find it a little disappointing that it's not fully supported as I was planning to use this as a bigger A4 (the A4 gets rather hot under load) for travelling, but I guess it's better than no compatibility. Or I just end up using an AIO.

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
On a side note, I currently have a Dan A4 with a liquid AIO and use it for travelling as carry on luggage with no problems.

Regarding the cut out for the c14, I too find it a little disappointing that it's not fully supported as I was planning to use this as a bigger A4 (the A4 gets rather hot under load) for travelling, but I guess it's better than no compatibility. Or I just end up using an AIO.
As Daniel has mentioned, it is for certain motherboards only. For a truly "removable plate-less" compatible case, case will have to be 1+ CM taller (0.5L+ larger).

Slediee

Cable Smoosher
Feb 28, 2022
Here are all PSU positions:

The first 2 allows for SFX and SFX-L the last one is SFX only.
The first and last one allows for RTX 30x0 air duct. With this ducts and a 280 AIO no air of the GPU will be recycled by the radiator.

Hi @dondan , love your work on the case and I cant wait to order it once it is released! just a quick clarification. On post above you mention that the FE air duct would only work in position 1 and 3 (first and last). I understand how that would work but in the next CAD drawings (below) seems to say that only position 3 would allow for the duct?

Or is this only for when a DTX motherboard?

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
If you mount the PSU exhausting through the front it will be the best fit for the FE air durct. This psu position is new and no other M1 style case has it. It does make psu wire handling very easy but it requires SFX none L. Nice to know: It will also clear the bottom 140mm fan of the Noctua C14S

If you mount the PSU exhaust through the bottom (classic M1 style case psu mount position) the FE air duct will also fit but psu wire handling will be much much much more harder. It does also require SFX none L.

Last edited:

Slediee

Cable Smoosher
Feb 28, 2022
If you mount the PSU exhausting through the front it will be the best fit for the FE air durct. This psu position is new and no other M1 style case have it. It does make psu wire handling very easy but it requires SFX none L. Nice to know: It will also clear the bottom 140mm fan of the Noctua C14S

If you mount the PSU exhaust through the bottom (classic M1 style case psu mount position) the FE air duct will also fit but psu wire handling will be much much much more harder. It does also require SFX none L.
ahh okay! thanks for clarifying :)

bushonpen

Caliper Novice
May 18, 2020
I just want to say that I love the new revisions, especially the air duct and the fact that you can mount fans for up to 2.5 slot GPU without "Ghetto" modding. Although I am unlikely to use the highest-tier hardware, I appreciate the changes that will make the C4 a much better performer compared to the previous reiteration without any significant sacrifice to the overall size and aesthetic. Given that the Corsair SF750 and Seasonic SPX750 are SFX, I don't really see a reason for anyone to get an SFX-L power supply unless they already have one, so the new PSU position is great.

I only have two questions and I apologize if those have been answered previously:
1. Will the air duct be beneficial to non-FE GPU or it is best to remove the air duct for those?
2. Will the case be available on Caseking or another EU distributor like the other Dan cases; is there a plan for multiple runs or it will be just one?

Thank you for the hard work!

Reactions: Arboreal

RoxasForTheWin

Efficiency Noob
Feb 16, 2022

C4-SFX Power Week - Update

Here are the first changes and some nsights in the thermal concept:

Looking great, excited to hear more about US pricing and availability in the future!

I'm trying to spec out a potential air cooled build in here and would like some idea as to what the best airflow game plan would be. I'm using a FTW3 like in the renders and if I'm following the diagram right the FTW3 should fit without any issues and be able to get fresh air whenever it needs.

I'm more curious about the CPU side of things. If I was using something like an L12S (or similar air cooler) would it be better for temps to have the fans as exhaust like in the AIO diagram or all of the fans set as intake? Since most of the GPU exhaust is handled in the upstairs chamber I wonder if all the negative pressure would still be needed, but I also don't think a 92mm fan would be up to the task of kicking out all that air coming in.

Cheers!

Vlad Dracul

What's an ITX?
New User
Oct 12, 2018
I don't know if this has already been discussed, but wouldn't it look better in the sandwich layout? Which of the two layouts would give a smaller liter capacity? Using the Cooler Master NR200 as a reference as it has both layouts (the classic on the NR200 and the sandwich on the NR200P Max), something like the great Lian Li x Dan Cases A4-H20 with sandwich layout and support for 280mm radiators . The A4-H20 is a masterpiece, I would love to see a version of it with support for a 280 radiator, if it worked on the NR200P Max, why wouldn't it work on it?

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
The previous design iteration was classic and sandwich, but Dan found in testing that there was no benefit to the sandwich option.
That is why the current design is inverted classic, as it is the best for cooling.
Read the thread history, and it is all in there…

ranewu

Case Bender
New User
Mar 4, 2022
^ A second to this suggestion.

Please adjust the button + port placement to be visually centered within the cutout.

As currently depicted it looks like a mistake…
How about raising the on/off button + IO area so that it is flush with the top panel?