DAN C4-SFX

bwjohnson0

Chassis Packer
Apr 10, 2020
Ahem. Not chain mail cable, but yes, there are other alternatives to solve this problem, namely detachable cable or wireless headphones. And naah it's not a first world problem. Broken cable is quite a headache for many.

Anyway, let's take a chill pill & relax. Difference in opinion doesn't have to be something tense. Light hearted opinion & candid suggestions are also effective feedback, for example:

"Hey @dondan , just want to say this is the reason why I prefer the USB-C jack to be somewhere at the side"

And yes I'm going to hell for this ?

Am... I... alone... in liking the minion layout? I imagine I prefer this over any of the alternatives.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@jaeparku I can tell you more after my testing. But I think the C14S offers a better cooling perf. I do prefer the U9S because of the look with two 80mm back fans and the easy installation :)
@murC No sorry this case does not have support for 3.5" HDDs, because it is a pure gaming workstation case not a case for a gaming NAS use-case.
@haroldngkh Sorry I do not like a full perforated top panel. The "Pigtail Style Power Cord" is not the standard. You have to use it if you use 2x 80mm fans at the back panel.
@x111: The supported hardware does give the size limitation not the case ;)
@carpet3 If there will be a logo I will make it removeable.

What's the reason behind the lack of support for slim fans at the top? it looks like it's should be enough space.
The impact on cooling would be significant, especially in the case of air-cooling.

There is only 10mm free space over the motherboard. A 120mm slim fan requires 18mm - yes also the Noctua A12x15. While I agree that it can help on temperatures I do not think it is worth supporting it:
If you search for a perfect air cooling configuration the best setups would be U9S/C14S on CPU and a GPU with "Ghetto mod" or ARCTIC Accelero. Furthermore, for overall best balanced temperatures I think would be a setup where all fans are pushing outside the case.
For a configuration with C14S + Ghetto mod it would mean "bottom", "back" and upper left side are exhaust zones while all other zones are for intake. For a configuration with U9S + Ghetto mod it would mean "bottom" and "back" are exhaust zones while all other zones are for intake.

@M3g4t0ky0 Yes, I will show it after I god a GPU ready for Ghetto mod

Xoroxronis

Chassis Packer
Jan 7, 2020
Maximum height/clearance (in mm) of the rad+fans with the Sandwich layout? With my calculations i get more than 60-62mm, but i'm sure this is not correct because of the PCB based riser.

Also the other dimensions (width, length) for the bottom rad?

@dondan
Sorry for repeating myself. In my opinion, is important for some buyers to know the exact dimensions for the bottom rad compatibility in mm.

Example#1, the XSPC EX240 + normal fans (35.5mm+25mm= 60.5mm), will it fit?

Example#2, the EK-CoolStream PE 240 has a width of 130mm, will it fit with the lian li clips in place?

Example#3 with the length of the crossflow/x-flow radiators, the XSPC EX240 Crossflow V2 has a length of 292mm, will it fit?

Uruk-Kay

What's an ITX?
New User
May 14, 2020
I have been a huge fan of the Dan A4, but the C4 would allow for a build without consessions! Looking good so far!! At this moment I use my PC for gaming next to my TV. When I look at the design it would be well suited to put the case on it's side in the traditional internal layout (motherboard on the bottom). Allowing it to fit into a standard TV shelf or cabinet. I am wondering if this is something you might consider? Of course I am no expert and not familliar with the considerations, but I would personally really like the option.

Reactions: sasankc

bushonpen

Caliper Novice
May 18, 2020
Hello, so far it looks great and I enjoy the clean look of the case. Although I would enjoy a perforated front as the default or an option, I realize how that might not be so appealing or necessary. My question is, is it possible to fit two 120mm fans (low profile or not) under the GPU in the classic layout? I believe that will help GPU thermals a lot and with a 240mm AIO on the side panel for the CPU, thermals should be amazing.

bushonpen

Caliper Novice
May 18, 2020
Hello, so far it looks great and I enjoy the clean look of the case. Although I would enjoy a perforated front as the default or an option, I realize how that might not be so appealing or necessary. My question is, is it possible to fit two 120mm fans (low profile or not) under the GPU in the classic layout? I believe that will help GPU thermals a lot and with a 240mm AIO on the side panel for the CPU, thermals should be amazing.
Sorry that I am writing two comments in a row, but I am unaware on how to edit my previous comment and I forgot to ask something. Is it possible to go for 2x80mm fans on the back with the 240mm AIO on the side panel, or it is possible to have 2x80mm only with a U9s?

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
Guys I'm currently running a Ghost s1 case with L12 + 2x 120x25 mm tophat fans.

The C14S with this case should beat my current temps in performance right?

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016

Bases on the mass of the CPU cooler alone, most likely yes.

But how big is the difference, we don't know yet. Also, obviously there are other factors as well, like air flow design. I think it's better to wait for the thermal test before jumping to any conclusion.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Thanks Dan. Please update us this week on the progress of the preparations

What do you mean with preparations?

My question is, is it possible to fit two 120mm fans (low profile or not) under the GPU in the classic layout? I believe that will help GPU thermals a lot and with a 240mm AIO on the side panel for the CPU, thermals should be amazing.
Sorry that I am writing two comments in a row, but I am unaware on how to edit my previous comment and I forgot to ask something. Is it possible to go for 2x80mm fans on the back with the 240mm AIO on the side panel, or it is possible to have 2x80mm only with a U9s?
Yes two 120mm will fit under the GPU. It depends on your GPU slot height if you can use slim or standard ones. Furthermore it will be possible to do a "Ghettomod". For this you remove the default fans on your GPU and replace them with the two 120 case fans. This will result in better temps, noise and overall temps.
I do not see the advantage of haveing 2x 80mm fans together with the 240 AIO but if you use slim ones it should fit.

Noctua L12 = 413g (w/o fan)
Noctua C14S = 820g (w/o fan)

The C14S is double in weight! So yes it will be better.

Lordsteven

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 18, 2020
This case looks perfect. I am personally a fan of the front panel with the power button at the top, but would not mind having it on top as I do not have cats.
I read that you said that fans would not be supported at the top of the case, however I was wondering if in the flipped orientation if there is enough room to place the fans in that area unmounted. It is not the most important thing, I am just thinking ahead on how to get airflow in the case if glass panels are ever offered for it.

Great work Dan, keep it up

zakijesk

What's an ITX?
New User
Apr 16, 2020
I myself prefer the traditional layout but I love the idea of making both traditional and sandwich layouts possible in one case it's always good to have more options

sdbruder

Cable Smoosher
Mar 20, 2020
I really like the current idea / size of C4 and probably will go with tradicional layout to have more clearance for CPU cooler, but personally I still want to see that idea of a maxi-mini itx case (which C4 is already a great implementation of) but using the A4 strategy, ie, a bigger A4 (with the GPU parallel to the mboard but in the other side with separate ventilation to get smaller CPU - GPU temperature interference. Oh well. perhaps a future B4? :-)

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
does anyone know if you can put 2x 120 / 25 mm fans (not slim) under the GPU if it's a 2 slot GPU?

here you go

@thelaughingman: You are right! In SFF every millimeter count, but if you check out 6mm on your ruler you will agree that this could be worth for getting these features. Also, on air cooling you will have more options like:

GPU indirect cooling (Case fan, GPU heatsink, default GPU fan removed)
  • 2 Slot with 35mm thick case 120-fan
  • 2.5 Slot with 25mm thick case 120-fan (Arctic Accelero)
  • 3 Slot with 17mm thick case 120-fan

GPU air feeding (Case fan, GPU fan, GPU heatsink)
  • 2 Slot cards with 25mm thick case 120-fan
  • 2.5 Slot cards with 15mm thick case 120-fan