DAN C4-SFX

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Congratulations Dan on getting it redesigned and back to us.
I was initially disappointed, as I am another one of the people that REALLY liked the original boxy and angular design.
In the meantime, I have bought a used NCase M1, which has been great.
I am wanting to comment now, as I think the alternative power button and IO designs are great; but more importantly, the silver case with a black top looks absolutely amazing!
I can't explain what it has done. For me, it takes the C4 to a whole new level.
I like the last 2 of the 5 designs best on post #48.
Keep it coming

Kundahli

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 29, 2017
@dondan, I personally like the 3rd option with regard to power button layout (from post #59). I feel a clean front face gives the case a sleeker look.

As for the top / side ventilation, I can appreciate the wish to avoid that industrial look. I think the Sliger SM cases look too industrial with their horizontal hole pattern on the side panels.

After looking at the renders further and comparing the holes vs the slits, I think I do like the slits compared to the holes. Do you think one will be quieter or have better cooling than the other?

I agree with the other users comment about the contrasting black top with silver body, it looks excellent!

Reactions: Arboreal

M3g4t0ky0

Chassis Packer
Feb 10, 2020
Hello Dan, I saw your post over on Reddit and I find your design very interesting, nearly the perfect case I'd been looking for. I had a few questions regarding your design though :)

For the PSU, can it be laid flat against the side panel so that it pulls fresh air into through the side panel? I can't quite tell if that is what you are showing in one of your renders or not.

For the panel design (Front and Sides) are you able to utilize the fine mesh that Lian Li was showing off at CES on the LANCOOL II? I would assume that it would allow a great amount of additional airflow in your case and it might open up the front to allow an additional case fan or two.

Lastly for the top panel, can the slit design go from the front IO panel all the way to the rear of the case instead of leaving a gap?

I love the amount of hard work you clearly have put into your case design, keep up the good work!

buma

Case Bender
New User
Feb 10, 2020
This really looks amazing I love the design,
I wish these cases were more attainable for Canadians, it seems everything is for either Europe or America.

haoryouu

Chassis Packer
May 1, 2019
This design looks really good. Love how you can flip it, more ways to test which would be a better setup for the cooling (especially water cooling). The third picture with the IO on top definitely looks the cleanest IMO. Congrats on getting this redesign and hope to see it in production!

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I'm happy to see a new thread started for a new C4.

I really like the slotted top panel, but I think it looks a little strange with the M1 v6 style side panels. I know @dondan has already said he thinks that slots on the side panels would make it look too industrial, but I'd still like to see a render. I think the case would look better with the top slots carried through to the side panels.

As for the front, I really like the plain front with the power button, and any IO on top.

I was wondering if it might look better if the front panel wrapped around to the sides a bit further, so the join between the panels on the side was aligned with the start of the slots on the top panel (A continuation of the first slot down the sides of the case).

I bought an Ncase M1 v6 from the first run last year, but I need to build another PC up towards the end of this year, so I'll be following this thread closely to see how the C4 turns out, and keeping an eye out for the redesigned A4 too.

No Hands 55

Chassis Packer
Feb 11, 2020
In my opinion i think I am leaning towards what AlexTSG is saying too. I personally like the industrial look more, it sets itself apart from the rest. I don't dislike what you have here though either! Would be interested in seeing something other than little hole ventilation side panels if it isnt much trouble. I saw someone mention fine mesh side panels, I thought id hate that on the T1 but i think it looks great and is amazing for airflow too.

My favorite look was the power button on the top panel with no front IO.

I also just really love how you can flip it so the gpu is on top in the traditional layout. with an accelero on the GPU and fans exhausting out the top im very excited at the possibilities of powerful air cooling moving on from an Ncase. Very excited for this!!

teajanky

Chassis Packer
Feb 1, 2019
Hey @dondan, I love the new look. I liked the old one and this is great too. At first I was confused about the slots on the top panel, but they have grown on me in 5 minutes and I love them now. As someone mentioned, it might look good to extend them over the whole of the top panel.
For the I/O, I like your #1 first design best, but would also be fine with #3 top I/O (I thinks its a little empty on the front but I understand why some might prefer that).
I also like the silver case with black top colorway.
For a TG tempered glass side panel I would like a slightly tinted one, hows everyone else feeling about that?

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@M3g4t0ky0 So if I understand it right the panel is a mix out of mesh and solid stamped out of on metal sheet. This could be a problem because this is done by die stamping with a customized die. This is very expansive and requires very high quantities. It would work like for the T1. They used a big pre stamped mesh sheet and cut many panels out of it.

@AlexTSG & @No Hands 55 I will show you a rendering with slot design also for the side panels, but I think it will not look as good as thought.

@teajanky: If there will be window panels I will use tinted ones ;), because this is also my favorite.

M3g4t0ky0

Chassis Packer
Feb 10, 2020
Thank you for your reply @dondan

I didn't realize how cost prohibitive that would be, there goes my dreams of a full mesh SFF to push air through a Noctua U9S from the front. I'm looking forward to the additional renders and and the prototype test results.

Best of luck with your development!

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@Jeydub: I droped the old C4 idea because of problems with cable management. Like the A4 with 92mm AIO or other upcomming well known cases it was very hard and you need basicly custom cables. Furthermore with 10.5L in comparison the new C4 design is much much more efficient.