DAN C4-SFX

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
Welp. I guess I'll wait for the 3080. Looks like everything is dual-slot, minus the 3090. Thankfully.
Dual slot AND a standard length that most cases support!
I hope that the thermal design isn't hindered in sandwich cases, but it looks very promising for this case, as putting the card vertically next to the side panel or in the standard orientation (connected directly to the MB like in the Ncase) might give it the card the most ATX case like airflow, which is what the thermal design was focused on! Deshrouding looks like it's going to be even better, or worse, who knows, no one!

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
I'm having a difficult time interpreting the 3090... is it supposed to replace the Titan, or the **80 TI? Or both?
They talked a lot about the titan leading up to it's reveal, so I would assume it is a Titan replacement that is mass produced for people that want it.
So, when I put it that way, I would say it is a Titan in terms of being the highest end card, but is essentially a "ti" type card as it is mass produced. It is replacing both, is what I would say.

fish.ch

Caliper Novice
Jan 26, 2020
I'm having a difficult time interpreting the 3090... is it supposed to replace the Titan, or the **80 TI? Or both?
IMO clearly mainly a Titan replacement -- amounts of VRAM that there's simply no use for (for an average consumer) and a fairly small jump in core count over 3080 (+20%), while 2080 Ti to 2080 was 34/23 (47%) jump, largest in original lineup. 3080 to 3070 is the same 34/23 jump (and biggest so far), by the way.
I mean such coincidence might come from somewhere else, but I guess it's safe to say that they've just moved everything tier down in naming.

Deshrouding looks like it's going to be even better, or worse, who knows, no one!
Seems like it's going to be piece of cake, given that Nvidia didn't use glue again.

Ghillie

Caliper Novice
Feb 25, 2020
Imo the insane value of the reference 3070 is all the more reason to be interested in regular 'tower' style cases like the C4 instead of sandwich cases that would plug up the back fan on the card with metal

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
Imo the insane value of the reference 3070 is all the more reason to be interested in regular 'tower' style cases like the C4 instead of sandwich cases that would plug up the back fan on the card with metal

If you like nvidia cards over board partner cards it definitely looks that way. I do prefer the aesthetics of nvidia's disigns. With that said, it seems like the best way to cool your card in traditional style sff layouts is to deshroud it and throw some static pressure fans on it in exhaust (Maybe @dondan can test the traditional layout with a tower cooler in the C4 this way like he did for the sidemounted aio layout). It doesn't look like the 3000 series cards will be as good as deshrouded traditional designs with its large indentations for the fans... imo.

Even though the 3070 has much more reasonable power draw, I'm not sure I'd want a 200w+ gpu funneling hot air into a 130mm or shorter tower cooler :/.

The 3070 looks really tempting from a value perspective, but I'm hesitant on the 8gb of ram. Hopefully RDNA2 comes out strong. Even if you lean nvidia it might force higher vram models out of them if amd gives their cards a vram bump.

Ghillie

Caliper Novice
Feb 25, 2020
If you like nvidia cards over board partner cards it definitely looks that way. I do prefer the aesthetics of nvidia's disigns. With that said, it seems like the best way to cool your card in traditional style sff layouts is to deshroud it and throw some static pressure fans on it in exhaust (Maybe @dondan can test the traditional layout with a tower cooler in the C4 this way like he did for the sidemounted aio layout). It doesn't look like the 3000 series cards will be as good as deshrouded traditional designs with its large indentations for the fans... imo.

Even though the 3070 has much more reasonable power draw, I'm not sure I'd want a 200w+ gpu funneling hot air into a 130mm or shorter tower cooler :/.

The 3070 looks really tempting from a value perspective, but I'm hesitant on the 8gb of ram. Hopefully RDNA2 comes out strong. Even if you lean nvidia it might force higher vram models out of them if amd gives their cards a vram bump.

Good point about a back fan heating up the cpu, but doesn't the 3070 reference have the 2 fans on the same side as usual as opposed to the new weird design of the 3080 and 3090?
And yeah, 8GB of VRAM on a card that is supposed to match a 2080ti in power when that card has 11GB is a bit stingy.

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
Good point about a back fan heating up the cpu, but doesn't the 3070 reference have the 2 fans on the same side as usual as opposed to the new weird design of the 3080 and 3090?
And yeah, 8GB of VRAM on a card that is supposed to match a 2080ti in power when that card has 11GB is a bit stingy.

The fans are on the same side but I think the backplate had an opening for air to flow through the similar to the 3080/3090

Last edited:
Reactions: Bonusround

umberto

Case Bender
New User
Jul 14, 2018
I realy like the idea that, with that enormous power given by the new ampere generation, we can undervolt and downclock the gpu placed in a dan case and still have more power than a 2080 ti.

ez12a

Case Bender
New User
Sep 2, 2020
Joined just to say the case looks great. Will it fit a Apogee Drive II with the side mounted radiator + 25mm fans?

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
Joined just to say the case looks great. Will it fit a Apogee Drive II with the side mounted radiator + 25mm fans?
most likely, but it would depend on the thickness of the radiator if I were to guess

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Update:
After the release of the new RTX 3x00 FE cards I consider to not make the fliped layout (GPU on top) the default layout. It will be still possible to flip the case to get this orientation. As my test shown the best configuration for overall temps is the side mounted radiator pushing air outside the case. With the GPU on top the radiator will source fresh air over the bottom. This is already not optimal because this intace is limited by the case feet height. New founders cards will also push hot air into the radiator zone. This will made the situation more worse. If the GPU is on bottom the radiator will have more access to much more fresh air through the top panel. Maybe I am worng but I will test it with a RTX 3080 FE.

Btw: For me the new RTX cards are a big step forward and it is something like the 8800 GTX in the past.

Last edited:

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
most likely, but it would depend on the thickness of the radiator if I were to guess
True. Furthermore there will be more better alternatives to this with a more low profile based construction.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015

This is true. If you have a high tdp CPU like the 3900X the U9S already have hard times. With a card moving more hot air to it will make it even worth. So for the new Nvidia high end cards (3080 and above) a 240 or 280 AIO is the way to go in the C4.

Fa5en

Trash Compacter
Jan 22, 2020
Sorry if this has been asked before, but is the 300mm max GPU length the absolute max? Seeing the MSI 3080 Ventus 3x is 305mm. Other cards are even longer o_O

dapperlilsailor

Caliper Novice
Sep 9, 2018
Dunno if this is a water cooling taboo, or if it just wouldn't make any sense . . . but I'm imagining a 3080FE, classic layout, top mounted, with side-mounted radiator. The fan closest to the rear IO on the card is pulling from the top and exhausting blower-style out the case. The second fan here is the issue, pulling from the top and exhausting into the radiator's intake zone . . . now this is where things might get stupid . . . what if the rad fan directly below the problem fan on the card was left pushing air out, creating a direct flow, meanwhile the other rad fan is flipped, pulling cool air through the rad and maintaining an overall positive pressure.

ironwilly

Chassis Packer
Mar 15, 2020
Dunno if this is a water cooling taboo, or if it just wouldn't make any sense . . . but I'm imagining a 3080FE, classic layout, top mounted, with side-mounted radiator. The fan closest to the rear IO on the card is pulling from the top and exhausting blower-style out the case. The second fan here is the issue, pulling from the top and exhausting into the radiator's intake zone . . . now this is where things might get stupid . . . what if the rad fan directly below the problem fan on the card was left pushing air out, creating a direct flow, meanwhile the other rad fan is flipped, pulling cool air through the rad and maintaining an overall positive pressure.

I might be mistaken here and talking bullshit, but the fans being switched is not an issue, but I believe static pressure fans, the ones usually used with radiators, are good at pushing air through obstacles, so its usually if you want air in - you put the fans first and then the rad, air out - rad first,then fans. So in a situation where one fan is reversed he would not have the same efficiency as the other so that might lead to questionable results, but again, might be talking out my ass.

Since I was also thinking of gpu on top, my decision was just to have 2 more fans on the bottom either pushing air in or out(in reverse of radiator fans) depending on tests.