DAN C4-SFX

Max Fischer

Cable Smoosher
Mar 22, 2020
Of the two, I prefer the square vent holes.

Is it out of the question to incorporate the vent hole design from the top or side panel into the back panel as well? I feel minimizing the number of vent patterns in the case would help create a more cohesive design.

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
I am curious though, how will the 3 slot GPU support happen in the vertical orientation? I see the slot at the top to screw in a 3 slot GPU, but only one slot for the I/O of the GPU

warspitebattleship

Caliper Novice
Mar 25, 2020
Fantastic case.
Currently own louqe, love the size (i move with pc every day) , do not like cpu cooler height limitation and riser.
C4 is 100% hit for me. Will switch asap.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@Navic: This is true. To give the case better stiffness and the fact that on current GPU generation the I/O is on the first slot, I added only one slot. You can install 3 Slot cards without a problem but only the first slot is accessible for I/O. This also means cards with a DVI port on the second slot will not work without modding in sandwich GPU mode, but I don't think this is a problem because DVI is dead.

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
Looking at a lot of current cards from the likes of EVGA, Asus, and Gigabyte, there is another displayport port where the 2nd slot is, but the majority is on the first slot, so I still see your point that only having one slot would be fine. But I still feel like this kills compatibility for certain cards, and also the fact that the tabs at the bottom of the card don't have anywhere to go, so maybe the GPU won't be as secure. I understand that it's for the overall structure of the case, but I feel like there should be a batter way, like changing out the back plate? Or maybe have 2 slots for the I/O, and then a third little cutout for the tab at the bottom of the I/O on the GPU to keep it stable? I'm not sure, but I see your problem.

Reactions: BartHaare

FdeFons

Caliper Novice
Dec 8, 2017
Some customers in a Germany forum does not like the vent hole design on the backside. What do you think?

VS

I like the lines rather than the square holes too,
but why only one vertical graphics card slot?

Sh0ckwaveFlash

Average Stuffer
Sep 18, 2019
Update:

Here are some shorts of the first C4-SFX prototype.

It is very important that you understand that this is more like a prototype of the prototype.

So based on this unit Lian Li and I will see problems that will be addressed for the final prototype. So, there will be some flaws or problems that you will see on this pictures that will be addressed on the next sample. Also things like the visual look of the power button, top vent holes style or the decision - top i/o or front i/o isn’t made.

Thank you, stay safe
Daniel
Fuck, that looks too good.

Edit: I like the square holes in the back.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Looking at a lot of current cards from the likes of EVGA, Asus, and Gigabyte, there is another displayport port where the 2nd slot is, but the majority is on the first slot, so I still see your point that only having one slot would be fine. But I still feel like this kills compatibility for certain cards, and also the fact that the tabs at the bottom of the card don't have anywhere to go, so maybe the GPU won't be as secure. I understand that it's for the overall structure of the case, but I feel like there should be a batter way, like changing out the back plate? Or maybe have 2 slots for the I/O, and then a third little cutout for the tab at the bottom of the I/O on the GPU to keep it stable? I'm not sure, but I see your problem.

Only cards with a DVI port on the second slot will not work. Most card have up to 4x Digial Output on the first slot and a fifth port on the second slot. How needs 5 displays? If this is the usecase you have to use the second layout or cut a hole for the fifth port. It isn't required to have tab holes. The A4 also doesn't have it.

M3g4t0ky0

Chassis Packer
Feb 10, 2020
Hey Dondan,

Love the all black case. I think this looks really good for a prototype of a prototype. For me the aesthetic of the different holes is a bit busy.

I have a crazy probably annoying idea, rectangular cut outs for everything but the top. Rectangles for side panel, rectangles for bottom panel, rectangles for back, rectangles for brackets.

For orientation I would rotate the back and bottom rectangles 90 degrees so it runs with the length of the case instead of the width.

If this idea is horrible I apologize, in my head I think it would be clean, visually interesting and appealing but it might not hold up to a Photoshop or real life.

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Only cards with a DVI port on the second slot will not work. Most card have up to 4x Digial Output on the first slot and a fifth port on the second slot. How needs 5 displays? If this is the usecase you have to use the second layout or cut a hole for the fifth port. It isn't required to have tab holes. The A4 also doesn't have it.
I was looking at current 2080 Ti and there are several with the 2nd HDMI in the second slot and some with the 3rd DP in the second slot. Personally I am using 3 x DP and I am sure there are some using 2 x HDMI.

Killdoc

Trash Compacter
Mar 25, 2020
Hello to all! Longtime lurker, finally registered. In regards to the lack of a second slot for the video card, I would like to make a suggestion. Add the second slot. Since Dan's concern is with regards to stability and strength of the case, accept the fact that you might have to drop the amount of perforations in the back plate, making it more of a solid piece to the outside portion of the slots. This might actually be less harmful to heat retention than expected due to just how well ventilated this case currently appears to be. My only concern would increase noise production with a fan placed in the video slot "window" if you place the video card in the lower, horizontal position.

Reactions: muSashi

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@M3g4t0ky0: For the rectangle vent pattern can you draw a example? Or do you mean similar to the Corsair One? I have the same feelings with the slot vent holes at the top. This is why I also ordered the top panels with the default vent hole pattern.

@muSashi: If you have an argument for me that is more important than structural stability and stiffness of the back side than I will think about it.

@Killdoc: Removing the vent slots will not change the situation that much because these ones have a different orientation (vertical vs horizontal). It would be very easy to mod it:

@NotAnAnimal: No

Reactions: warspitebattleship