DAN C4-SFX

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Like the Strix I think this card will only fit in sandwich mode. I need a card that fit in both modes.

Reactions: muSashi

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Here is a list of some cards that i am interested in and that will fit in both modes (sandwich / classic). Now ineed to decide.

MSI GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Ventus OC
  • 2.5 Slot
  • There are lips that can collide with case fan for indirect cooling after removing default fans
  • The cards looks very nice for product pictures

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming OC
  • 2.5 Slot
  • removing fan is easy
  • no lips above the heatsink after removing default fans
Gainward GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Phoenix GS
  • 2.5 Slot
  • removing fan is easy
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Black Gaming
  • 2 Slot
  • There are lips that can collide with case fan for indirect cooling after removing default fans
Nvidia RTX 2080 Super FE
  • 2 Slot
  • Removing the fans is nearly impossible
  • The cards looks very nice and is well known for product pictures

Last edited:
Reactions: Dapoktan

Paullawr

Chassis Packer
Feb 28, 2020
This is exactly what I want in a case. I’m upgrading from my l7z and really want the dan case but. . . A 3850 simply isn’t going to work. Shame as the case is minimalistic and beautiful to look at.
I also love the look of the loque ghost but buying one in the UK is hard work.
So if dan can come up with a hybrid design and modular config at around 200 euros. Count me in.

all I want to know is will overclockers stock it and when can I get my paws on it.

Reactions: Sh0ckwaveFlash

Paullawr

Chassis Packer
Feb 28, 2020
Indeed.

I understand what you mean, but progress cannot be fueled by praise alone.

Fair enough. I just think that a purpose-built case would be a better idea than such a "jack of all trades". That said, I'm not a case designer, and if you're sure that you know what you're doing, I wish you good luck with the project. Just one advice: if you expect the case to last through multiple generations of hardware, you should consider using steel threaded inserts, as aluminium threads are unlikely to survive for long.
I quite like the “jack of all trades” approach. Flexibility is a modders dream.

Look what has been achieved in SFF cases thus far. Creating workstation class machines in sub 15 litre capacity is incredible engineering. Not least flexibility in those designs to achieve this.

What we have here are the hallmarks of the next level of customisation. Rather than provide a solution to something that doesn’t exist. Create a solution to something that will absolutely exist the moment it’s put in the hand of the consumer.

Roll on release!

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018

It's all a matter of degree. A true purpose-built case looks more like the Corsair One, or even the Mac Pro. Does Corsair sell that case separately? They do not. Has the PC world adopted Apple's quad-slot fanless air-cooled GPU design? No.

There are some rather restrictive SFF cases available that represent very opinionated designs. The Ghost is one, the Circle Pro, Wahaha's T1, and of course Dan's A4.

The passage of time, and continuing colonization of slot space by GPU manufacturers, has made the A4 seem even more restrictive than when first introduced. I see the C4 as a natural response to that trend. If you want a more "purpose-built" case then the A4 and others are waiting for you. But there's no shame in creating a second offering that is less- or differently-opinionated than the first.

Paullawr

Chassis Packer
Feb 28, 2020
It's all a matter of degree. A true purpose-built case looks more like the Corsair One, or even the Mac Pro. Does Corsair sell that case separately? They do not. Has the PC world adopted Apple's quad-slot fanless air-cooled GPU design? No.

There are some rather restrictive SFF cases available that represent very opinionated designs. The Ghost is one, the Circle Pro, Wahaha's T1, and of course Dan's A4.

The passage of time, and continuing colonization of slot space by GPU manufacturers, has made the A4 seem even more restrictive than when first introduced. I see the C4 as a natural response to that trend. If you want a more "purpose-built" case then the A4 and others are waiting for you. But there's no shame in creating a second offering that is less- or differently-opinionated than the first.
Exactly.
I really disagree with the jack of all trades master of none.
For one, the case isn’t built yet. Secondly when (if) it does go G.A. then the flexibility in design will help reduce constraints imposed by a hunger of higher processing desires which in turn create more heat and occupy more volume.

There are plenty of options for those wanting quiet small desktop units offering mediocre performance levels but few offerings providing a balance of both.

Dan should definitely go for it with this case as the design looks exactly what we have come to except in a high quality SFF design with both a level of transformation and modulisation.

Aluminyum

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 3, 2019
I merely expressed my opinion earlier, and I didn't even intend to return to this topic; the only reason I responded is to clarify the part @Paullawr seemed to misunderstand.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Here is a list of some cards that i am interested in and that will fit in both modes (sandwich / classic). Now ineed to decide.

MSI GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Ventus OC
  • 2.5 Slot
  • The cards looks very nice for product pictures

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming OC
  • 2.5 Slot
  • removing fan is easy
Gainward GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Phoenix GS
  • 2.5 Slot
  • removing fan is easy
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Black Gaming
  • 2 Slot
Nvidia RTX 2080 Super FE
  • 2 Slot
  • Removing the fans is nearly impossible
  • The cards looks very nice and is well known for product pictures

So if no one like to join a discussion for the perfect GPU for the prototype tests i will decide it by myself. I will use the Gigabyte card.

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Update:
I made the decision to make more frequently small updates (maybe weekly) that give you more information about the current project status.

Lian Li is working intensely on the prototypes and will send me first pictures in the next 7 days. I also finalized my hardware setup for the prototype test.

Keep in mind if you have questions or ideas belongs to the project or compatible hardware feel free to ask it in this thread.

With best regards and stay safe
Daniel

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Update:

Here are some shorts of the first C4-SFX prototype.

It is very important that you understand that this is more like a prototype of the prototype.

So based on this unit Lian Li and I will see problems that will be addressed for the final prototype. So, there will be some flaws or problems that you will see on this pictures that will be addressed on the next sample. Also things like the visual look of the power button, top vent holes style or the decision - top i/o or front i/o isn’t made.

Thank you, stay safe
Daniel

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Daniel, that's amazing!
Brilliant to see your latest efforts realised in metal. A bright spot in a dark world and being stuck at home keeping safe.
Good luck with snagging all the flaws and getting to the next stage towards production.
It's been a long haul, and somewhat a rollercoaster ride; I hopw it goes smoothly from now onward.

Fliege97

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Mar 25, 2020
Wow that looks like the perfect case to me! Very compact with capable air cooling possibilities, 3-slot gpus and even without riser cable; nice!

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Some customers in a Germany forum does not like the vent hole design on the backside. What do you think?

VS

Reactions: Fliege97