DAN C4-SFX

Sh0ckwaveFlash

Average Stuffer
Sep 18, 2019
The prototype should be ready in the next 4 weeks so i start planing with the test hardware. Currently I have:

Cooling:

Noctua U9S
Noctua C14S
2x Noctua A12x25
2x Noctua A12x15 Chromax
2x Noctua Redux 92mm
2x Noctua Redux 80mm
2x Noctus Redux 120mm
Asetek 240 OEM AIO

Hardware:

Gigabyte X570 ITX
32GB DDR4 VLP
Corsair SF600 Platinum
GPU ???
CPU ???

What should i buy?
I would recommend the 3900X instead of the 3950X as the 3900X is usually just as hot if not hotter than the 3950X due to the difference in binning.

Reactions: teajanky

Thattallcarpenter

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Mar 7, 2020
Similar thoughts myself.

Picking up on a few of the C4's closest competitors:

The Ncase M1 doesn't do glass (yet). When it does, it'll be $40 + shipping & taxes, and it won't be possible to order with the case (so no combined shipping & fees). So that's $260 + two lots of shipping + two lots of customs fees + tax. Probably £280 ±£20.

Sliger ship their cases with acrylic windows, rather than glass.

Thor Zone Mjolnir has a glass option. But the design is going to mean higher than ideal temps.

Geeeks's cases are all acrylic.

And the other popular SFF cases all lack (official) glass sides.

The C4's (classic) layout should be able to handle a solid side panel without causing too many thermal issues. So shipping the case with a glass panel (even as a separate SKU) seems like a big opportunity. Or, at the very least, ensuring that the panels can be ordered with the case, from resellers.

Personally i couldnt care less if the window(s) are made from glass or acrylic but it would be (really) nice if we can buy the case in seperate (complete) options. for example:
* C4-SFX-ST (standard, no windows)
*C4-SFX-A1 (one window)
*C$-SFX-A2 (window on both sides)

Its just like you mentioned, needing to buy them apart will really drive the costs up. But needing to find some third party to design and make them (even though the designs are on the Dan site) will lead to people simply not buy the case because its just too much fuss to get some windows.. just my €0.02.

Reactions: muSashi

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
Everybody has a right to an opinion of course. Choosing to share that opinion, without interrogation and on the maker’s own thread, seems a bit discourteous.

Reactions: Sh0ckwaveFlash

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@Aluminyum It is 1.5 times bigger as the A4-SFX to fit a 240 AIO + Triple Slot GPU. If you now argument that there are cases that can do this with less liters you never build in such a case. Yesterday I build just for fun in my old C4 sample (9.8L) and I give up in the middle of assembly because it is a pain in the ass to cramp all the wires in this. It is like building the A4 with 92mm AIO it doesn't make fun. I think it is important to have a good balance between size and assembly frindlyness. Yes custom cables are a solution but how many customers will do this maybe 5% or less!

@Thattallcarpenter Sorry for product registration it is too hard for me too sell the C4-SFX in different version. It is much easier to sell the window kit seperate. But I can say it will not cost that much if I do it with acrylic. Maybe 20-30$.

@Sh0ckwaveFlash But the 3950X does look better in the specs?

Or, at the very least, ensuring that the panels can be ordered with the case, from resellers.
I will take care on this.

Last edited:

DaHans

Average Stuffer
May 11, 2018
Assembly friendlyness is a good point. But in point of SFF you throw this away.

Example what I did at the last weekend:
I took your A4 v1 this weekend and put 4x 15mm 5 TB HDDs, a 7mm SSD and a GTX 1050 in there and still have room left for a SSD in the front. Everything with standard SF450 sleeved cabels from corsair and a 30mm length custom black riser for Bifurcation. Yes it is a pain in the ass but thats why we are doing SFF. I want it even smaller but there is nothing better than your A4.
I do always miss the MI6 production batch and shipping + Customs is horrible but nowhere is a case like that.

So your target customer is someone who fits all of the following:
- 2,5 to 3 Slot GPU or/and 240mm raditor (or 2x120mm)
- has no ncase yet or wants to save 2 liters
- doesn't like much cramping in a case (Assembly friendlyness)
- wants to spend around 225 Euro inkl shipping/customs (EU Customers)
- wants a better design like other cases
- love building quality of Lian Li

Optional:
- want to have USB-C on front
- is new to SFF
Edit: - has a ncase and wants to try something new.

For this thread: This are just my opinions.

Last edited:

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
But in point of SFF you throw this away.

If you build the A4-SFX with normal hardware like 2 drives, 2 Slot GPU and Noctua L9a I would say this is very user friendly while beeing SFF. I want to have the same or a similar level with the C4-SFX. It should be a case for everyone not only for the hardcore SFF lovers.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
- wants to spend around 225 Euro excl. shipping/customs

For Europe customers more like 200-220€ inkl. customs if you buy from my EU based resellers.

PS: Add to your list: has a ncase but wants to try something new.

Aluminyum

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 3, 2019
Choice is a great thing :)
Indeed.

Everybody has a right to an opinion of course. Choosing to share that opinion, without interrogation and on the maker’s own thread, seems a bit discourteous.
I understand what you mean, but progress cannot be fueled by praise alone.

@Aluminyum It is 1.5 times bigger as the A4-SFX to fit a 240 AIO + Triple Slot GPU. If you now argument that there are cases that can do this with less liters you never build in such a case. Yesterday I build just for fun in my old C4 sample (9.8L) and I give up in the middle of assembly because it is a pain in the ass to cramp all the wires in this. It is like building the A4 with 92mm AIO it doesn't make fun. I think it is important to have a good balance between size and assembly frindlyness. Yes custom cables are a solution but how many customers will do this maybe 5% or less!
Fair enough. I just think that a purpose-built case would be a better idea than such a "jack of all trades". That said, I'm not a case designer, and if you're sure that you know what you're doing, I wish you good luck with the project. Just one advice: if you expect the case to last through multiple generations of hardware, you should consider using steel threaded inserts, as aluminium threads are unlikely to survive for long.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
The prototype should be ready in the next 4 weeks so i start planing with the test hardware. Currently I have:

Cooling:

Noctua U9S
Noctua C14S
2x Noctua A12x25
2x Noctua A12x15 Chromax
2x Noctua Redux 92mm
2x Noctua Redux 80mm
2x Noctus Redux 120mm
Asetek 240 OEM AIO

Hardware:

Gigabyte X570 ITX
32GB DDR4 VLP
Corsair SF600 Platinum
GPU ???
CPU ???

What should i buy?

I think I will go with an Gigabyate RTX 2080 Gaming OC and an AMD 3950X or do you prefere a different GPU?

M3g4t0ky0

Chassis Packer
Feb 10, 2020
I think I will go with an Gigabyate RTX 2080 Gaming OC and an AMD 3950X or do you prefere a different GPU?

I think both of these max out this case correct? Also I just noticed that it said only first slot io only, is there a structural reason why your case doesn't have 2 expansion slots? Or was that a typo.

Sh0ckwaveFlash

Average Stuffer
Sep 18, 2019

@Thattallcarpenter Sorry for product registration it is too hard for me too sell the C4-SFX in different version. It is much easier to sell the window kit seperate. But I can say it will not cost that much if I do it with acrylic. Maybe 20-30$.

True, however I think the 3900X competes evenly with the 9900K in most minds and using an RTX 2080 Ti instead of the 2080 should be more important.

Reactions: riba2233

Thattallcarpenter

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Mar 7, 2020

Hey, if you indeed can ensure that the panels can be ordered with the case, I'm a happy camper! Was just thinking out loud (sort of speak).

Saw a post earlier that you're planning to get some prototypes? What happens to those eventually, showcase them at home or are they open for sale? Highest bid takes one, for example ?

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@M3g4t0ky0 I also had the Strix in my mind but I am unsure the card will fit because it looks like the overall height will collide with the plastic clips.
@Thattallcarpenter Sorry I do not sell prototypes.