DAN C4-SFX

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
Thank you for sharing. The proportions of the vents look great for both patterns. Power on top + lone USB-C in front would be cleanest-looking, IMO.

Reactions: Metroversal

yuserinterface

Chassis Packer
Feb 9, 2020
Don't get me wrong but for myself I would say there is nothing really special on the pro side. Okay you save about 2 liter on the volume size comparing M1 but therefore you could built a system with a small matx board and have 3 pcie slots.

What else makes it way different than the M1?

Owners of a M1 one wouldn't switch in my opinion just for the option of less volume or sandwich.
Targeting current M1 owners is a very niche market. The C4 has wide appeal for newcomers to SFF.

yuserinterface

Chassis Packer
Feb 9, 2020
Is this true? If yes why?
Just an observation on here and reddit.

I don’t understand it either, but if I had to guess… some people really liked the old C4 design. In the mean time, the Ghost and M1 became really popular. Then the C4 got revived and many people think you took the “easy way” out it made a Ghost with an M1 (i.e., traditional) layout.

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
Just an observation on here and reddit.

I don’t understand it either, but if I had to guess… some people really liked the old C4 design. In the mean time, the Ghost and M1 became really popular. Then the C4 got revived and many people think you took the “easy way” out it made a Ghost with an M1 (i.e., traditional) layout.

Interesting if that is the case. I could imagine that Dan, as the originator of the sandwich layout, has set a high bar whereby anything less than as novel as the A4 is then seen (incorrectly IMO) as 'lacking'.

@dondan one strategy to counter such perception by emphasizing the multiple layouts. The first post of this thread does not emphasize this clearly IMO. Lead with the fact there there are two GPU/rad orientations, and then two case orientations on top of that – giving four primary options in total. Depict all of them in a single image, side-by-side.

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
I wasn’t able to fit it without compromises for GPU compatibility while using the classical layout rotated 180°.
I think this is fine, because I know that I and many others wouldn't use the front USB port, because we already have a USB hub somewhere on our desk. Plus, some popular motherboards don't have this connector (Asus B450-I), so it would alienate a lot of people without an adapter of some sort.

Reactions: Sh0ckwaveFlash

DaHans

Average Stuffer
May 11, 2018
Targeting current M1 owners is a very niche market. The C4 has wide appeal for newcomers to SFF.

Yeah Maybe but in the mean time the M1 is still selling to those people who are not waiting for a case which basically has the same inside layout.

Thanks for the reddit hint. Dind't know there are already discussions but I can understand them. If you are a water cooling enthusiast I would rather go the Ncase way for 2 240. If you want a radiator in your sandwich layout, go for the Ghost. Another Case which isn't released yet with a similiar inside to de C4 is the Sidearm T1. Its already tested at the Optimum Tech youtube channel.

There are still layouts who aren't on the market as much as the M1 or Ghost internal designs. I would rather go for those than making a different outside looking case.

Last edited:
  • Sad

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
The first post of this thread does not emphasize this clearly IMO. Lead with the fact there there are two GPU/rad orientations, and then two case orientations on top of that – giving four primary options in total. Depict all of them in a single image, side-by-side.

Maybe you are right. I will take care of it.

There are still layouts who aren't copied as much as the M1 or Ghost internal designs. I would rather go for those than making a different outside looking case.
I could not aggree with any of this, because there are only three layouts sandwich (A4-SFX), classic (IBM) and console/server. So also the cases that you listed doesn't have a uniq layout at the time they hit the market. The advantage of the M1 was beeing smaller at the competitors while having support for water cooling. The advantage of the Ghost S1 was bigger heatsink support and AIO support.

You asked me what does make the C4 special? For me the most important advantages are:

FLEXIBILITY - two layout in one case and rotating feature. Through different hardware generation it will fit your needs. Every GPU generation follow different trends. The current one is thick (2.5-3Slot) the last one has an increased height. Maybe one CPU generation requires 240 AIO cooling while next is more efficient and you use air cooling. Also the rotating feature is very nice, because with a window kit it is now up to you on what side on the desk the case could be to get a view inside.

LOOK - I love the look of the C4. The best featured case doesn't will sell if it looks like garbage.

SIZE - It is smaller than any other competitor in this class. If this doesn't count there is no need for SFF.

DaHans

Average Stuffer
May 11, 2018
Maybe you are right. I will take care of it.

I could not aggree with any of this, because there are only three layouts sandwich (A4-SFX), classic (IBM) and console/server. So also the cases that you listed doesn't have a uniq layout at the time they hit the market. The advantage of the M1 was beeing smaller at the competitors while having support for water cooling. The advantage of the Ghost S1 was bigger heatsink support and AIO support.

You asked me what does make the C4 special? For me the most important advantages are:

FLEXIBILITY - two layout in one case and rotating feature. Through different hardware generation it will fit your needs. Every GPU generation follow different trends. The current one is thick (2.5-3Slot) the last one has an increased height. Maybe one CPU generation requires 240 AIO cooling while next is more efficient and you use air cooling. Also the rotating feature is very nice, because with a window kit it is now up to you on what side on the desk the case could be to get a view inside.

LOOK - I love the look of the C4. The best featured case doesn't will sell if it looks like garbage.

SIZE - It is smaller than any other competitor in this class. If this doesn't count there is no need for SFF.
- A case for Generations -
That sounds like another selling point.

For the "LOOK" I would not go to far with that. People do buy Cases with the same Layout (like the Kolink) just to save some money. In this small group around here, there are only people who know what it cost to produce a case like A4 or a C4 but others do not believe that.

Sorry maybe I spelled that wrong. I ment in the way of layout by volume. So I would rather buy a A4 than a Ghost 1 because of less Volume with the same Layout. Rather a Ncase than a Shuttle case and maybe more a T1 than a C4. There are more projects but I just mentioned serious ones.

Time will tell and you have the better sense as a producer on the market than me as a ITX user.
Fingers crossed! ;)

• Sad

Theai

Trash Compacter
Mar 1, 2020
What about using a square button where you can choose to place a usb, blank, etc. Just like the NCASE M1 ! IMO it gives enough flexibility to each user to use whatever configuration is better for him/her!

Theai

Trash Compacter
Mar 1, 2020
@Theai: Filters will be not included I will ask Demcifilter if they will make it. Can you make a drawing for your squar button idea?
This is what I had in mind

Thattallcarpenter

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Mar 7, 2020
Just made an account to let you know I'm all over this design @dondan ! Purchased the A4-SFX as my first ITX build a while ago and can't wait to jump on this case (figuratively speaking).

While I can't find myself on some comments on this thread I personally believe it'll be a good sell in Europe mainly BECAUSE of the design, the fact that it's produced by LIAN-LI and it seems to be a decent price in the end for what you're getting. Next to that you definitely have home base since neither the M1 nor the Ghost is available over here for the "regular Joe". Don't get me wrong, design wise the C4 wins in my book, but it's also a complete nightmare to get ahold of the mentioned two cases if you're not US based.

I personally would choose USB-A over USB-c since NO AMD board has that particular connector and it seems no board will have that connector for a while at least, useless, was the first thing I pulled out of the A4, but that's just me I guess. Next thing I'm wondering is if we will be getting the glass panels WITH the buy of the C4, instead of needing to buy/design them separately, wich was a total bummer while looking into the A4 in the beginning.

Anyhow, big fan over here, looking forward to the buy!

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
The prototype should be ready in the next 4 weeks so i start planing with the test hardware. Currently I have:

Cooling:

Noctua U9S
Noctua C14S
2x Noctua A12x25
2x Noctua A12x15 Chromax
2x Noctua Redux 92mm
2x Noctua Redux 80mm
2x Noctus Redux 120mm
Asetek 240 OEM AIO

Hardware:

Gigabyte X570 ITX
32GB DDR4 VLP
Corsair SF600 Platinum
GPU ???
CPU ???

What should i buy?

HappyWhale

Case Bender
New User
Feb 1, 2019
The prototype should be ready in the next 4 weeks so i start planing with the test hardware. Currently I have:

Cooling:

Noctua U9S
Noctua C14S
2x Noctua A12x25
2x Noctua A12x15 Chromax
2x Noctua Redux 92mm
2x Noctua Redux 80mm
2x Noctus Redux 120mm
Asetek 240 OEM AIO

Hardware:

Gigabyte X570 ITX
32GB DDR4 VLP
Corsair SF600 Platinum
GPU ???
CPU ???

What should i buy?

i would love to know if the thermaltake water 3.0 Extreme S would fit as an 240mm aio

M3g4t0ky0

Chassis Packer
Feb 10, 2020

Cooling:

Noctua U9S
Noctua C14S
2x Noctua A12x25
2x Noctua A12x15 Chromax
2x Noctua Redux 92mm
2x Noctua Redux 80mm
2x Noctus Redux 120mm
Asetek 240 OEM AIO

Hardware:

Gigabyte X570 ITX
32GB DDR4 VLP
Corsair SF600 Platinum
GPU ???
CPU ???

What should i buy?

My Vote:
CPU - 3950x
CPU Cooler - Dark Rock TF (maybe it will fit with a slim fan?)
GPU - one blower style card and one open air
Power Supply - maybe go crazy and try an SFX-L haha?

Theai

Trash Compacter
Mar 1, 2020

Cooling:

Noctua U9S
Noctua C14S
2x Noctua A12x25
2x Noctua A12x15 Chromax
2x Noctua Redux 92mm
2x Noctua Redux 80mm
2x Noctus Redux 120mm
Asetek 240 OEM AIO

Hardware:

Gigabyte X570 ITX
32GB DDR4 VLP
Corsair SF600 Platinum
GPU ???
CPU ???

What should i buy?
will be nice to see a full custom loop too :-)

McPhee

Trash Compacter
Feb 19, 2020
Next thing I'm wondering is if we will be getting the glass panels WITH the buy of the C4, instead of needing to buy/design them separately, wich was a total bummer while looking into the A4 in the beginning.

Similar thoughts myself.

Picking up on a few of the C4's closest competitors:

The Ncase M1 doesn't do glass (yet). When it does, it'll be $40 + shipping & taxes, and it won't be possible to order with the case (so no combined shipping & fees). So that's $260 + two lots of shipping + two lots of customs fees + tax. Probably £280 ±£20.

Sliger ship their cases with acrylic windows, rather than glass.

Thor Zone Mjolnir has a glass option. But the design is going to mean higher than ideal temps.

Geeeks's cases are all acrylic.

And the other popular SFF cases all lack (official) glass sides.

The C4's (classic) layout should be able to handle a solid side panel without causing too many thermal issues. So shipping the case with a glass panel (even as a separate SKU) seems like a big opportunity. Or, at the very least, ensuring that the panels can be ordered with the case, from resellers.