DAN C4-SFX

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
So here is the full answer on the puzzle:

With this hole you are able to mount a 750W Corsair SFX to the front. You need 4x 10mm C6-32 Standoffs. This enables you to mount the new Asrockrack Epyc FAT-ITX board.

A config like this is possible:

64C/128T Epyc
Dual 280er Radiator
Nvida Quadro RTX A6000 48GB

I know the usecase is nearly zero but it will result in an epic/epyc build from Linus. This is why i call the hole LTT.

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
This ’FAT-ITX’ board looks like DTX, just with the board extension coming off a different side.

What are the six headers at the bottom of the pictured board?

Reactions: thelaughingman

DeLarge

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 20, 2020
RE: Creating an icon for DAN..

48 Hours ago..

Current design:
I tried to incorporate the shapes/style of the letters of the existing Dan logo into the design.

GIF

__________________________________________________________________________________
__________________________________________________________________________________

Old/ Scrapped/ Binned designs/ alternatives/ design process:

D,a,n letters are in the logo. becomes too complex when shrunk down (very thin lines). The design is too busy. not stylish enough. Less is more.

I'm trying to build a portfolio of logo/icon designs so took the opportunity to submit my idea..

👀👍👎😰

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
RE: Creating an icon for DAN..

48 Hours ago..

Current design:
I tried to incorporate the shapes/style of the letters of the existing Dan logo into the design.

GIF

Old/ Scrapped/ Binned designs/ alternatives/ design process:

D,a,n letters are in the logo. becomes too complex when shrunk down (very thin lines). The design is too busy. not stylish enough. Less is more.

I'm trying to build a portfolio of logo/icon designs so took the opportunity to submit my idea..

👀👍👎😰
The letters may be a bit too long and hard to see, too. Overall I like the creativity put into this icon! I mean I'm having trouble finding the A in it...

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Thanks for the effort but i do not like the current ideas.

The first one looks like Unreal Tournament logo behind a folder (the focus is too much on the A) and the second one like an aztec symbol. :)

Last edited:

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
Just found out about this case today.

Maybe there should be a logo design contest and the winner gets one of the first C4's or something? Personally, I like the stacked case logo, but I don't see any letters in it. Overall I prefer no text on my cases at all if possible - maybe you could do something like the T1 and machine it into the rear panel, or have the logo there somewhere?

Speaking of the T1 though... I have an E-White T1 pre-ordered for late December and this has got me wondering if I should wait a while longer to build in a C4...

Do we have an ETA on when the C4 will release?

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
A note about prospective/speculative design + branding work—

This almost never works. There are some rare exceptions, when designers + strategists come together under special circumstances (i.e. hackathon-style events for charities)—but individually, there are a few things that cause the process to break down:
  1. Money. Removing compensation from the relationship causes the designer to de-prioritize and/or work more quickly than they ought to, and absolves the client of engaging deeply in the process. Think about what happens when you post something for free on Craigslist—you'll be bombarded with interest, and spend a bunch of your time negotiating a meetup, but because it's a $0 commitment to everyone, there's no consequence for them to bail.
  2. Ideas. Branding is a deeply personal process for the client and designer. It can't be done effectively without frequent, honest, open communication. It also starts with concepts, not art—mark making is absolutely a skill in and of itself, but often is just an artifact of a much longer, considered strategic effort to define the brand's “voice.”
I wanted to flag this before the thread got carried away with concepts. I know how exciting it is to contribute to a project + product like this, but having done this for almost a decade, it felt worthwhile to address some of the pitfalls… and maybe help everyone understand the process outside our little corner of the world!

Edit: Also, re: contests—another thing that routinely fails to produce decent results, and is anathema to the creative process. It's also ethically dubious, because the sponsor of the contest gets, say, ten hours from each participant, but only one participant is actually paid.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018

These are the sort of cables you would need to make them work:

I'm guessing that the Noctua NH-U12S TR4-SP3 cooler would be the best air-cooler option for the board in the case considering the 130mm cooler limit.

Reactions: Bonusround

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
Man I wish U.2 would take hold in the mainstream consumer space. Bigger form factor = room for more NAND chips = higher capacities at less expense AND better cooling. Placement apart from the motherboard means improved system cooling, especially with SFF.

Why can't we have nice things?

Reactions: Aluminyum

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Meassured from the bottom of the PCIe socket to top of the card (default value from the vendors)

max height card itself: 132mm
max power socket height: 117-118mm
max power socket height with 180° adapter : 122mm

The new AMD reference RX 6x00 cards will be the maximum when it comes to power socket height (117mm) and should work with default cables.

Here you can see the power socket is 3-4mm lower than the top side of the card. The total card height is 120mm

Reactions: thelaughingman