DAN C4-SFX

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I was thinking sandwich-layout was my favorite, but now I'm not sure any more ? The classic layout gives more cooling power for the cpu in terms of fans.
I'm not a fan (pun unintended ?) of blowerstyle GPU's, so I am curious about heat dissipation when using an open air cooler. In the A4 it currently works fine for me , but the heat goes out via the bottom (exhaust fans) and top. In the C4 in classic layout I'm hoping the heat can escape via the panel vents quickly enough to prevent build-up.

Still, I like what I see, a lot :-) The flexibility/versatility to try out various set-ups is great.
Thanks for the updates and the time you take to reply to everyone here, Dan!

Same here.

In traditional layout -to prevent hot air build up- I'm thinking to put exhaust fan on the side panel radiator bracket. I wonder if this is a good idea? (I won't use watercooling anw).

Another thing is to have more exhaust holes on the side panels as vast as possible (while still be aesthetically pleasing), all the way reaching/same level to the the GPU heat sink. This will ensure hot air can find exit as early as possible, before it can reach other parts of the build.

I'm a bit confused with Dondan's drawing haha. In traditional layout, for now I found quite a few Nvidia high-end cards that can fit, but for 5700XT, 3 minutes of Google-fu I only found https://www.gigabyte.com/sg/Graphics-Card/GV-R57XTGAMING-OC-8GD/sp#sp

Asus Strix is a bit too close.. Better wait for someone to test :)

Last edited:

blindphleb

Average Stuffer
Feb 7, 2018
If it's anything like the Ncase, which it is (not a dig), the heat will dissipate out the sides and top depending on fan directions, but it will heat up the Mobo/CPU more than if it was exhausted elsewhere. This is one of the reasons the Accelero mod on GPU and exhausting out the bottom is so popular with the Ncase.

I would be curious to know Accelero fit compatibility on this one...
He said he'll be switching to triple slots in the bottom, so I think an Accelero will fit. It would be nice to see that when the new prototype arrives.

blindphleb

Average Stuffer
Feb 7, 2018
It seems like one of the design choices for the classic layout was to be able to use a C14s cooler with the fan between the motherboard and heatsink fin stack. That's a similar setup to what the Ghost S1 accomplishes with the L12, and it seems to result in less fan noise. But the fin stack for the l12 sits right at the side panel. To set up the Dan C4 like this you'd need to reduce heatsink clearance to 115mm +/- a mm or so. But you can't do this without really hurting GPU compatibility, because reference cards are 115mm and you still need to plug them in. So the extra 11mm is for cable room. But we're so close to being able to fit at least 15mm fans on the C14s. Adding 4mm would allow them, and it would allow 130mm wide cards with recessed power plugs like the Asus ROG cards to be used.

Just a suggestion, I'm sure you've already thought about that and have your reasons for the choices you made.

MikeTech

Efficiency Noob
May 8, 2020
Love it. well done Dan, keep up the good work.

Ps: what are multiple AIO options regarding some hybrid gpus (they usually come with a 120mm) ? Are we just then limited to a 120mm for the cpu as well or can a 140 (even a 240) fit somehow?? would love some pics if you can

Harding

Efficiency Noob
May 13, 2020
He said he'll be switching to triple slots in the bottom, so I think an Accelero will fit. It would be nice to see that when the new prototype arrives.

Yeah, I kind of forgot that when looking at Dan's PROTOYPE photo's that we'll have more space at the bottom. (which actually brings me back to my preferred layout: sandwich, where I can put a 240mm AIO with 25mm fans at the bottom and let the openair cooler on the GPU do its thing drawing in air via the side panel and blowing it towards top and bottom. In my mind/imagination there's more space/room for the hot air to disperse this way)

Xoroxronis

Chassis Packer
Jan 7, 2020
@dondan
Maximum height/clearance (in mm) of the rad+fans with the Sandwich layout? With my calculations i get more than 60-62mm, but i'm sure this is not correct because of the PCB based riser.

Also the other dimensions (width, length) for the bottom rad?

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Update:

Some reshots with the Noctua U9S + 2x80mm Noctua Redux at the back panel. So far my favorite build. Very clean cable management with default length cables, and super clean look with the U9S. BTW you see the alternative routing for the power cord to fit 2x 80mm fans.

Also this is the premiere for the third design with power button and USB-C at the front.

At the end the A4-SFX joined in for some shots with the C4-SFX.

Thank you, stay safe
Daniel

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
The contrast with that button does look good, even better than the A4.

Interesting to see 2x 92mm behind the U9S, I didn't see that option.
I'm sure it's useful in certain situations, the U9S is good in my M1.

Reactions: pereval

murC

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 18, 2018
\

Will the case support 4x3.5" HDD in lieu of the watercooling/radiator and swapping to a low profile air cooler?

TheRealGlutenbob

Caliper Novice
May 14, 2020
This case is beautiful. I currently own a Ghost S1, but I would happily migrate to this for my next build due to conventional layout and water cooling support (without top hats). One small design suggestion - is there any way to have the power button directly above or below the usb c port? I'm not a fan of the power button being towards the top of the front panel. I did like the look of the power button being on the top panel though. Very clean.

haroldngkh

Chassis Packer
Feb 9, 2020
Awesome! Would it be possible to have a top grille full of perforation dots? Instead of just in the middle?

Last edited:
Reactions: ignsvn

newzealot

Caliper Novice
Jul 26, 2019
Is Pigtail Style Power Cord standard?

Or do we have a Standard Flush Mount as well? Is the position supposed to be where the fan is blocking it?

XiCynx

Cable Smoosher
New User
Sep 25, 2017
I'm 100% onboard to migrate over to this case from my Sliger Chimera once this is available. I can't wait to see all the different customize options that are going to be available as well. :)

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Awesome! Would it be possible to have a top grille full of perforation dots? Instead of just in the middle?

I agree with more exhaust holes, but I don't think the panels need to be fully perforated. As long as the hot air can find exit as early as possible while still being aesthetically pleasing.

Personally, I'd also consider a perforated front panel, which will help to exhaust hot air from the front side of GPU. For people who live in tropical country (SEA, middle east, Africa etc) , this helps a lot. But I do understand that it may not go well with our friends who stay in cooler climate.

Anw.. Usually we'll only find out more after @dondan do some thermal testings.

PapiJoe

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 21, 2020
Update:
Thank you and Stay safe.
Daniel

Sir. I want a "drop resistant" case. I am always paranoid about my 50 kg CPU cooler ripping free from the motherboard or the 15 ft long GPU tearing the pcie slot from it's solder points.

This case achieves my goal: water cooling block and pci ribon cable to the GPU. I can do that and then upgrade later with a custom loop setup. This. I want this. Thank you. Where do I preorder? I have time, I'm waiting on Zen 3 and Navi 2x.

x111

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
"DAN C4-SFX" looks interesting but it's way to big.
dan a4 case is already big enough !!

I wish "they" could shrink all the hardware into smaller package with identical performance.

'

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
because 2x 92mm rear fans are not supported, only 2x 80mm

Thanks for clarifying that, I think I was fooled by the perspective of the photos and not reading Dan’s text carefully enough ?

That said, I don’t recall seeing the double fan option mentioned before.

Is Pigtail Style Power Cord standard?

Or do we have a Standard Flush Mount as well? Is the position supposed to be where the fan is blocking it?

The pigtail is just for the unusual 2 fan option. As you said, you can see the standard power socket mount at the top on the right.

"DAN C4-SFX" looks interesting but it's way to big.
dan a4 case is already big enough !!

I wish "they" could shrink all the hardware into smaller package with identical performance.

'

The C4 may be too big for you, but everyone has different requirements for a case. The C4 design opens quite a lot more options for hardware and cooling configurations that the A4 isn’t able to accommodate.

Smaller hardware is tricky as the smaller you go, features have to be compromised.
Hopefully the bulky 24 pin power cable will be replaced in time.
Looking at the mini STX format, yes it takes a standard CPU, but there’s no PCIe socket for a GPU, meaning you have to break a limited 4x out from the m.2 socket.

Compared to 10 years ago, what you can get in ITX now is almost miraculous. That’s both in terms of CPU / GPU power and amazing compact cases to put it in.