DAN C4-SFX

warspitebattleship

Caliper Novice
Mar 25, 2020
C14 if far from D15. Even u9s is a bit better than C14.
If somebody wants D15, Lian Li tu150 will save money. Also it has cool handle and TG side panel.

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
I apologize to say this but having a logo on a PC is hideous. It takes away the novelty item look and makes it look like cheap industry produced. Ghost had a smart way of incorporating the logo on its grill top tab, so it was removeable if wanted.

It looks like a tramp stamp on C4.

Reactions: Bonusround

kamiKAZIK

Cable Smoosher
May 7, 2020
@jaeparku

Define perfect SFF size. Each person has it's own. For some, the perfect SFF size is 17L, for others - 4L. There are as many different tastes as there are many different people. To me personally, the original idea of 10.8L was perfect, but increasing it to 11.1L is no big deal, the 0.3L will make almost no difference. In my opinion, having alternative to M1 will be good for competition and variety. Is there another case that can support 10-11 cm tower air cooler and full length triple slot GPU in 10-12L segment, apart from M1 of course? I might consider it when going to shop for parts. So far I have found no alternatives, on top of that, this damn corona doesn't make things any easier for shopping.

I remember people also screaming about the Kolink rocket, that is basically a clone of A4 and nobody needs it. Few months later, SFF reddit is full of builds done in that case. There is also another paradox. For some reason people are fine with buying the gazillion of various knock-offs from Taobao. Life is strange, go figure.

max1c

Efficiency Noob
May 8, 2020
I can see why people want 280mm radiator support. Improved cooling support is never a bad thing. But 9.85L to 10.8L to 11.1L to 12.2L is quite the size creep. That's a 24% increase in volume from the original concept. And where does it end?

This is what really bothers me. When it was just 10.8L I was hoping it was a perfect replacement for the Ncase M1. But at this point it's basically an M1 or the S1 with a top hat. It's quiet disappointing to see this happen.

happa

Cable Smoosher
Apr 15, 2020
This is what really bothers me. When it was just 10.8L I was hoping it was a perfect replacement for the Ncase M1. But at this point it's basically an M1 or the S1 with a top hat. It's quiet disappointing to see this happen.

You guys act like you would even notice 6 millimeters if it wasn't put side by side with the old model for comparison. Allowing for better GPU or CPU cooling depending on your configuration is something I would gladly take the increased size for. The amount of people that use a top hat with their Ghost tells me that it's something that many others would gladly take as well.

SFX vs ATX PSUs as an example of compromise is a terrible comparison to make. SFX PSUs up to 750-850W are out in the market, which is more than enough for even a dual GPU Threadripper system, and is more than enough for 99% of people. Plus, they're great quality and are practically silent. However, compromising cooling is something different, as it's to the detriment of increased heat and noise. Telling someone to accomidate for only 1 model of their GPU (when it's not even the best one) is silly.

max1c

Efficiency Noob
May 8, 2020
You guys act like you would even notice 6 millimeters if it wasn't put side by side with the old model for comparison.

Of course, I would prefer it to be even smaller and be able to support the cooling capability of the M1. Why replace the M1 with this if it already does this at basically the same size? You're right. I won't notice it. Just like I won't notice 1.5 liter difference between this and M1.

Allowing for better GPU or CPU cooling depending on your configuration is something I would gladly take the increased size for.

Great. So we agree. M1 already does this.

kamiKAZIK

Cable Smoosher
May 7, 2020
I hope that Dan is not getting discouraged by the arguments made here and will put this prototype into production sooner than later.

All this fuss about similarities to M1 is getting a bit over the top. Why make VW Polo, when you could buy Golf or Micra, or any other car of similar size. It will drive, it will get you from A to B, right? The answer is quite simple - one size doesn't fit all.

I would like to see even more alternatives in this segment that can support hardware in traditional layout. So far we have 1 option, the M1, great, but... oh yeah, no shipping options... XD

Reactions: teajanky

jpsjam

What's an ITX?
New User
Apr 25, 2020
Hi Dan, my congratulations for the great design.

C4 has as good specs as Ncase and it looks as good as a ghost, please take my money.

Glass side panel would be a great option, if you manage to do it, even if it would be expensive.

Again, congrats and good luck for the future.

happa

Cable Smoosher
Apr 15, 2020
Of course, I would prefer it to be even smaller and be able to support the cooling capability of the M1. Why replace the M1 with this if it already does this at basically the same size? You're right. I won't notice it. Just like I won't notice 1.5 liter difference between this and M1.

I think this incorporates some interesting features that while not really super impactful on their own, do make it stand out. Being able to do either sandwich or normal layout means better GPU compat than the M1, seeing as it is basically S1 + tophat or an M1 based on your configuration. Being able to flip the case for better cooling is also a option that is nice to have. And on top of that, it's still a smaller than an M1 for efficiency nuts, as well as (IMO) looking a bit better than it, taking designs from the S1.

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
You guys act like you would even notice 6 millimeters if it wasn't put side by side with the old model for comparison. Allowing for better GPU or CPU cooling depending on your configuration is something I would gladly take the increased size for. The amount of people that use a top hat with their Ghost tells me that it's something that many others would gladly take as well.

Look. 6mm may seem small, but keep in mind that a raised height means all 4 corners of the case are raised, which raises volume by quite a bit. In SFFPC, every mm counts.

When I went from Ncase M1 to Ghost S1, I only went from a 12 L case to a 8L case. But those 4 L felt huge in real life because it was almost a 33% decrease.

Going from 9L to 11L may not seem like a big difference, but trust me, it's quite noticeable. I'm all for the increased CPU cooler height since it's hard to find cases around this size that support big coolers. But 3 slot GPUs? no one needs that.

Reactions: max1c

happa

Cable Smoosher
Apr 15, 2020
When I went from Ncase M1 to Ghost S1, I only went from a 12 L case to a 8L case. But those 4 L felt huge in real life because it was almost a 33% decrease.

Going from 9L to 11L may not seem like a big difference, but trust me, it's quite noticeable. I'm all for the increased CPU cooler height since it's hard to find cases around this size that support big coolers. But 3 slot GPUs? no one needs that.

Of course going from 8 to 12L is very noticeable, but 10.8 to 11.1L is less than a 3% increase in volume for (IMO) great compatibility increase with 3 slot GPUs or the use of full size fans with a 240 rad.

I think what Wahaha did with the T1 did was a good execution of compromise, where the only 240mm AIO that it fully supports is arguably the best one on the market. I would have still preferred to have added ~5mm instead to allow use of any 240mm AIO that happens to be on sale (and not inevitably wait weeks to months for a single model to restock), but that's just me.

On the subject of adequate GPU cooling, I think the amount of existing aftermarket cards that bridge 2.7 to 3 slots beg to differ. Something so hot as the 2080Ti needs all the help it can get. You can also now use the Accelero 3 or other large air cooling options.

But as thelaughingman said, it's a moot point as the change had already been decided. I look forward to this case being produced.

Prothea

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2018
I still feel like the M1 comparison isn't all that big a deal, since it's still smaller than the Ncase but has 3 slot compatability in both configurations and allows for small tower coolers as well.

Why get the Ncase when you can get this, while allowing for the flexibility to switch between sandwich or traditional layout, or even flip the whole case for alternative airflow?

McPhee

Trash Compacter
Feb 19, 2020
Look. 6mm may seem small, but keep in mind that a raised height means all 4 corners of the case are raised, which raises volume by quite a bit. In SFFPC, every mm counts.

6mm is small. It results in a 0.3L (<3%) increase in volume.

Not really sure where 9L is coming from? Even the original concept design was 9.85L. So the increase between then and now is 1.25L, not 2L. And the difference between a Ghost and an M1 is 4.5L, not 4L. The right numbers frame the situation a bit differently, don't they?

I'm not really sure why you keep bringing up the long dead C4 concept though? It's irrelevant. Long gone. This is the same case in name only.

Last edited:

warspitebattleship

Caliper Novice
Mar 25, 2020
Well, if 3 slot card design is approved.
I have one ask :
please add holes to mount 3 slot motherboards like maximus xi gene. Add holes to mount psu over mb on left side of the case if this deep motherboard conflicts with psu in front position.

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
Of course going from 8 to 12L is very noticeable, but 10.8 to 11.1L is less than a 3% increase in volume for (IMO) great compatibility increase with 3 slot GPUs or the use of full size fans with a 240 rad.

I think what Wahaha did with the T1 did was a good execution of compromise, where the only 240mm AIO that it fully supports is arguably the best one on the market. I would have still preferred to have added ~5mm instead to allow use of any 240mm AIO that happens to be on sale (and not inevitably wait weeks to months for a single model to restock), but that's just me.

On the subject of adequate GPU cooling, I think the amount of existing aftermarket cards that bridge 2.7 to 3 slots beg to differ. Something so hot as the 2080Ti needs all the help it can get. You can also now use the Accelero 3 or other large air cooling options.

But as thelaughingman said, it's a moot point as the change had already been decided. I look forward to this case being produced.

you are right. Mind has been made. I'm just saying it's unfortunate.

Did Dan say he will keep the logo on in the final product? The slightly increased size is fine but the front logo is probably gonna stop me from purchasing it..

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Wow so many new messages here i will response to them later today. I still waiting on some hardware parts for prototype testing but i throw in my current hardware i can say: wow this case is awesome. The quality is so good and assembly experience much much better than on the old C4.

I will show you some pictures later.