DAN C4-SFX

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
So I had written off this case as not fitting my needs months back when it only supported a single radiator, and had more or less settled on getting a CM NR200 despite it not being that small. Now all of a sudden I see this has grown just a tad, and suddenly it's looking pretty close to the perfect case!

Just to confirm, @dondan: I have an EK PE 240mm (38mm thick), an Aquanaut CPU block+pump, I'll likely be getting some form of Radeon RX 6800 (XT?) with whatever water block lets me fit that in a single slot, and I'll be wanting to add a second 240 or 280mm rad. Am I right in thinking I could make this work, with my PE 240 in the bottom with 15mm fans, and a < 30mm 240 or 280 on the side? And will there be room for QDCs in there too?

If this is right, I'll be wanting to buy one of these at some point in the future. Likely won't have the budget for it until close to the summer, though given the lack of any availability date that doesn't seem like it would be an issue.
based on the last compatibility post and this post by Dan, your build should work if the side rad is a 240mm. What I would suggest is to have the EK PE rad on the side (since the it can support max 38mm rad + 25mm fan), then you can have another 30mm thick 240/280 rad at the bottom with full size fans and NOT have to use slim fans.

sharing your sentiment on the case - did not have any reason to move on from the T1 to the prototype C4. but now the case support dual 280mm rads at just 12L, that's plenty good reasons right there

Last edited:

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Update:
After the release of the new RTX 3x00 FE cards I consider to not make the fliped layout (GPU on top) the default layout. It will be still possible to flip the case to get this orientation. As my test shown the best configuration for overall temps is the side mounted radiator pushing air outside the case. With the GPU on top the radiator will source fresh air over the bottom. This is already not optimal because this intace is limited by the case feet height. New founders cards will also push hot air into the radiator zone. This will made the situation more worse. If the GPU is on bottom the radiator will have more access to much more fresh air through the top panel. Maybe I am worng but I will test it with a RTX 3080 FE.

Btw: For me the new RTX cards are a big step forward and it is something like the 8800 GTX in the past.
my thinking is that flipped layout would be best for a fully WC build (both CPU & GPU) - the bottom rad will become top rad and handle exhaust, the side rad still intaking. and then fan at the back helps with intake - I assume there is still 80/92mm fan mount there? basically it's a chimney-ish airflow, similar to dual rad builds in the T1. look forward to your testing though!

Ricky

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 23, 2016
I could’ve sworn I had this thread on my watchlist, but apparently I didn’t? Well that’s been corrected. Love the work going into this Dan, I’m enjoying catching up and reading about the ride; I can’t wait for the eventual release, as I think I’ve finally found my case.

mstrex

What's an ITX?
New User
Nov 1, 2020
Looking good!

I can't quite figure out which Noctua heatsink that is being used in the 2nd image. Is it just something custom made for the render?

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Very nice I hope the C4 will be available by 2021 :).
IMO no chance this will be available to order in 2020 given that Dan would likely want to be hands-on with prototype of the new version (12L), thus Q2 2021 is most likely (excluding the holiday periods - Dec for Westerners and Jan/Feb for Chinese/Asians)

Last edited:
Reactions: Valantar

Ald0s

Cable Smoosher
Nov 6, 2020
Hi guys,
I've been following this thread for what seems like years! Interested in jumping on the case when it's ready but I have a few questions.

Firstly, can I mount 2x 1 slot GPUs? I'd love to put in a pair of the EK/Asus waterblock RTX3090. I'm had a look at most of the updates and I'm fairly sure they'll fit inside the case, I'm just not sure if the alignment works out with all the other components in there. I work in VFX and often need to bring a live editing rig onto set - my MBP isn't cutting it in Resolve any more.

Ideally I'd like to have 2xGPU and mount another 1xslot (small) card in there that I use for outputting SDI video. It's the size of a wireless / antenna card, needs 4x1 PCI and I'd probably connect it using an M2 adapter.

Jovogdiar

Caliper Novice
Apr 29, 2018
*Long sigh*

FINE.

You'll have my money.

I have a Dan A4 but current GPUs made it clear that there is no way forward for it if I want a higher powered GPU as well as good air cooling without compromise on RAM.

This is exactly what I was looking for. I wanted a case with the most compact standard layout possible so I could fit a tower cooler on the CPU and without compromising too much on my choices of GPUs.

And I wanted it to be reversible because my computer has to be placed to my left at a 45° angle and I like seeing the insides.

YOU WIN. Again. :p Congrats again on the perfect design.

I prefer perforated panels to slits though. That would be my only complaint about it.

Last edited:

Harte 12345

Case Bender
New User
Nov 12, 2020
Hi, I'm lucky to have DAN A4 SFX, however I had to install external watercooling system to cool down my hardware :p I'm really happy to see that DAN is still working on his new C4 project and that it will suppport 280 mm rads it would be really amazing. Thank you DAN for your efforts and very good job with the previos case.

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
The new Sliger case seems like competition for this case:

S610
Dimension: 13.57" x 5.96" x 10.08" (344mm x 151mm x 256mm) [LxWxH]
Volume: 13.3 Liters
Motherboard: Mini-DTX, Mini-ITX
Graphics Card: 3-Slot GPU support
Storage: 2x 2.5" drive mounts, optional brackets for additional 2.5" and 3.5"
Air Cooling: Air coolers up to 128mm tall
Liquid Cooling: 120mm, 240mm, and 280mm radiator support
Power Supply: SFX
MSRP: $229 with free US shipping

These new cases eating up the 11 - 13 L market share while it takes years for C4 to come out...