DAN C4-SFX

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
If Noctua won't do it, maybe you should contact Alpenfohn like you did with the Black Ridge

Regardless of who, I would buy that in a heartbeat. It seems like it would have the cooling capacity of a D15, if not better.

Given that Thermaltake has made a copy of Noctua's NF-A12x25 fan, I'm sure they would happily make a Noctua style CPU cooler, especially if they get to strap two of the new TOUGHFAN 12s to it!

Oh, and Noctua did "Like" my Instagram post, so maybe someone there has seen the renders and is at least thinking about it.

Last edited:

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I made the decision to not test a custom loop. I am a bit afraid of disassembly my FE cards. I think this is something for a Optimum Tech video.

If you change your mind and decide to disassemble one of your FE cards, the teardown on Gamers Nexus is good, especially since it looks like it's easy to damage the screw covers if you don't remove them carefully.

There are also many reports of big improvements to the memory temps on the FE cards if you replace the stock thermal pads. If you search for "Thermalright Thermal Pad" on Amazon you'll see most of the buyers have bought them for GeForce 30 series cards.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Noctua saw the rendering before the forum or reddid did because i have a contact person internally. I currently wait for response on thermal simulation results.

That's excellent. Do you know how long that normally takes, and would they let you know the results?

I thought I should clarify this. I understand they will contact you when they have results, what I meant is will they give you specific numbers and/or comparisons with their existing CPU coolers, or just tell you that they have completed the testing without further details.

Last edited:

teodoro

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 8, 2018
I’m not sure if I’ve seen a picture/render with the psu oriented so that its fan faces the back or front of the case, but I thought I saw a reference to that as a feature. In that position, is there room on the side of the case (next to the motherboard) for a 120mm fan? Since exhausting hot air to avoid recycling is one of the thermal considerations, it might be a nice feature to add some mounting holes there if it can fit a slim fan.
bumping my own question since I think it's an even more attractive feature with a 'dual c14' style cooler. to rephrase, the "normal" psu position is adjacent to the motherboard and allows the psu fan fresh air access from the right panel. in a "rotated" psu position (so that the psu sits near the front panel with its fan facing the rear of the case), can a 120mm fan (maybe only slim) be mounted on the right side panel? this would make for a nice left-to-right airflow for the 'dual c14' where the heatsink fans draw air in from the left panel, push air toward the motherboard, and exhaust out the right panel.

I'm pretty sure I've seen fans taped/wedged into this spot in the m1 and nr200, but some proper mounts would be nice. sliger added this feature on their latest itx classic case, though it's a tad wider than the c4.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Today I will get an Thermalrigth Silver Arrow 130. I am interested to see how it will perform next to the U9S.

I created a monster :D Silver Arrow with triple Noctua A9 Chromax. The results are impressive for an air cooler. I will show you pictures and results tomorrow.

Are the fins soldered to the heat pipes on your Silver Arrow...? I seem to recall when the Silver Arrow was first starting to "appear on the scene" that a bunch did not have soldered fins & later batches were supposed to; and then stuff about non-soldered not perfroming near as well as soldered...?

I do recall that the Silver Arrow was touted (by end users) as the be-all end-all solution for air-cooling in the NCASE M1 chassis...?

Intererested to see the results & temps...!

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@Boil:
As far as I know Thermalright does use close fit fins on many products that are not soldered. On my version there is not a soldering hole next to the heatpipe hole so it is impossible that it is soldered.

@SILVER ARROW 130 Test
For the Thermalright Silver Arrow 130 there is one draw back. While the heatsink is specified with 130mm it does not count the fan that will result in 132mm. So with a normal 120mm fan you will not be able to close the side panel. Currently I am in the process of searching for some fans that are specified with 120mm but are smaller on the center areas. Here is what I got so far:

Deepcool MF120

Meanwhile I tested three Noctua A9 Chromas Fans on it. Pulling air from the back to the case. Chinebench + Valley in default orientation does result in 80°C on the CPU. This 7°C better as the U9S. To be fair on the Silver Arrow the first fan will be closer to the back panel so it will pull in more fresh air.
This result is very close to a open case test with one A12x25 installed that peaked out 77°C.

Last edited:

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
I was able to fit a 120mm fan. This is a simple mod that everyone can do with a saw.
The Gigabyte X570 ITX has a very high socket position this is why I have to route the C14 through the rounting hole above the motherboard I/O. (on the final product there will be a correct molding on the c14 connector)

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Yesterday I made a small test to show the differences between a 280 AIO in open bench and inside the case. I installed two 140mm fans @ 900rpm. Here are the results after 30min of chinebench:

open bench: 280 AIO@900rpm = 69°C
classic layout: 280 AIO@900rpm = 74°C

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Are the fins soldered to the heat pipes on your Silver Arrow...? I seem to recall when the Silver Arrow was first starting to "appear on the scene" that a bunch did not have soldered fins & later batches were supposed to; and then stuff about non-soldered not perfroming near as well as soldered...?

I do recall that the Silver Arrow was touted (by end users) as the be-all end-all solution for air-cooling in the NCASE M1 chassis...?

Intererested to see the results & temps...!

I have one in a NCASE M1. It's good. Scary sharp fins, but it keeps my 8086K cool.

C14S, which I haven't tested, would probably be better if you're willing to sacrifice the 3.5 drive mounts.

Ghillie

Caliper Novice
Feb 25, 2020
Dan I noticed that you use a lot of redux noctua fans. Can I ask for your opinion on redux vs classic/chromax fans, value and performance wise? :)

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Hi Ghillie,

I love the look of the Redux fans, this is why I use them. But if you compare a P12 Redux with an A12x25 the last one will be better. But you pay premium for some °C lower temps.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Hi Ghillie,

I love the look of the Redux fans, this is why I use them. But if you compare a P12 Redux with an A12x25 the last one will be better. But you pay premium for some °C lower temps.

I’ll echo that statement as I use Redux fans for a lot of my builds.

Ghillie

Caliper Novice
Feb 25, 2020
Hi Ghillie,

Yeah fair enough, I quite liked their look but I wasn't sure if they would be outperformed by other budget fans from brands like arctic and scythe which come with rubber mounts too. Ta :)

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Yeah fair enough, I quite liked their look but I wasn't sure if they would be outperformed by other budget fans from brands like arctic and scythe which come with rubber mounts too. Ta :)
Redux fans are just re-releases of older Noctua designs with slightly less flashy bundles (no splitters, extenders, low noise adapters, vibration dampeners, etc.). They should perform identically to non-redux fans of the same name, but newer non-redux designs are of course likely to outperform them. An Arctic P12 is likely better than an NF-P12 Redux on a radiator (as the P12 is close to the NF-A12x25 within the same RPM range - but the A12 goes 800rpm higher) dependent on max RPMs of course. They're still really, really good fans though.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Redux fans are just re-releases of older Noctua designs with slightly less flashy bundles (no splitters, extenders, low noise adapters, vibration dampeners, etc.). They should perform identically to non-redux fans of the same name, but newer non-redux designs are of course likely to outperform them. An Arctic P12 is likely better than an NF-P12 Redux on a radiator (as the P12 is close to the NF-A12x25 within the same RPM range - but the A12 goes 800rpm higher) dependent on max RPMs of course. They're still really, really good fans though.

800? P12 goes up to 1800, A12 up to 2000 rpm.