DAN C4-SFX

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I made a quick rendering - I love it

Gorgeous!
We could also consider one fan as intake (over cpu) one fan as exhaust (over GPU)...:)

teodoro

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 8, 2018
I’m not sure if I’ve seen a picture/render with the psu oriented so that its fan faces the back or front of the case, but I thought I saw a reference to that as a feature. In that position, is there room on the side of the case (next to the motherboard) for a 120mm fan? Since exhausting hot air to avoid recycling is one of the thermal considerations, it might be a nice feature to add some mounting holes there if it can fit a slim fan.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Gorgeous!
We could also consider one fan as intake (over cpu) one fan as exhaust (over GPU)...:)
Wouldn't the intake fan then just be pulling in the hot exhaust from the other fan? Not entirely, obviously, but roughly half of its air would come from that area.

@dondan Would this design be compatible with other cases, like the CM NR200? Not that I have one, but I would imagine there's a bigger chance of this getting made if it fits more cases.

Reactions: thelaughingman

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
It would help exhaust hot air from pass-through GPU fans.
That's true, but that's more of an argument for setting both fans as exhaust, rather than one of each. If one fan is exhausting not only the CPU's heat but the GPU's as well, there's even more heat that's going to get sucked back into the adjacent intake fan after all. Intakes need to be usefully separated from exhausts, otherwise you're just creating a partial airflow loop recycling hot air.

Reactions: DrHudacris

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
That's true, but that's more of an argument for setting both fans as exhaust, rather than one of each. If one fan is exhausting not only the CPU's heat but the GPU's as well, there's even more heat that's going to get sucked back into the adjacent intake fan after all. Intakes need to be usefully separated from exhausts, otherwise you're just creating a partial airflow loop recycling hot air.
With good ducts anything is possible.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
With good ducts anything is possible.
You'd need to build a duct outside of your case to avoid this. Which kind of ruins the point of an SFF case, no? A huge plate of ... something sticking out perpendicular of your side panel would probably do the trick, but who would want that?

Reactions: DrHudacris

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
You'd need to build a duct outside of your case to avoid this. Which kind of ruins the point of an SFF case, no? A huge plate of ... something sticking out perpendicular of your side panel would probably do the trick, but who would want that?
You are correct... and you’re taking me too seriously. :cool:

Reactions: Valantar

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
I made a quick rendering - I love it

This would be sick! Would a version designed more like the BRv2 be of interest? I only suggest that b/c of potential turbulence. Even if only a 92mm fan could be directly above the CPU block like BRv2, a 120 should be able to easily squeeze under the front section. That could be some pretty spicy thermals for an air cooler!

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Should we make a petition for Noctua to make a dual C14S for the C4-SFX? It must be 10mm lower in height.

I'm going to post the renders on my Instagram and tag Noctua.

If they can make a L12 Ghost S1 edition, then I don't see why there can't be a C14S Dan edition! I'll take mine in chromax black!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I made the decision to not test a custom loop. I am a bit afraid of disassembly my FE cards. I think this is something for a Optimum Tech video.
Especially as watercooling benefits on RTX ampere cards are very low...I really consider GPU watercooling almost useless since Pascal series...:D

Even with Zen CPU, watercooling was not as useful as for Intel "hot" cpu..;) But CPU AIO can be easier to use compared to beefy air cooler...especially on mini ITX motherboard..;)

Thus I really appreciate your focus on air cooling or CPU AIO represent more then 95% of audience..:D

By the way, in sandwich layout, is it similar layout compared to A4? It seems there is some differences..;)
Do you have cpu cooler height please?

Reactions: bushonpen