DAN C4-SFX

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Top mounted fans:

This is only a nice bonus not a feature that will work for all use cases. For example. If you mount the PSU normal you can't mount a fan above it because it will collide with the power plug.if you mount the PSU on the LTT Position you can mount the fan but a big part will be covered by the PSU.

Above the motherboard the fan is required to be sit directly on the ram ports, because it will fit that close. Maybe on some board with very high ram pos it will not fit. If I would add mounting holes on the other side it will be impossible to move the fan on its position because there is no free movement are. Also mounting the fan first and after that the board will not work. Trust me a fan attached by two screws will stay in position.

I will check this with the prototype and if it will work out better than expected and I am wrong with my last concern. I will add mounting holes for the final product on both sides.

Aluminyum

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 3, 2019
And as for abandoning the idea: again, why? Why do several people here keep arguing that it's better to not have an option at all than an imperfect one? Am I completely crazy for thinking that that is just ... stupid? I mean, come on! You don't have to use it if you don't like it, rendering the removal entirely meaningless, so how can you justify arguing for the outright removal of the option for people who would want top fans and don't mind fastening them on one side? As I've said several times above: this is an incredibly weird subject on which to make a principled stance. If "symmetrically attached fans or no fans at all" is an important principle for you ... why? What's it to you if other people want the option for an imperfect fan mount? As long as the option doesn't hurt anything else (which we know it doesn't, as that's the entire reason for the asymmetrical mount), why argue for removing it? That just makes no sense.
I can't help but feel you're a bit too... passionate about this. Did something bad happen this morning?
I mean, I get wanting the fan mount to be symmetrical, but is this really a debate worth having?
That's a good question — considering you're the one who turned this into a "debate" in the first place.
There are always compromises in any design, and SFF cases are the perfect example of this. Nothing has everything perfect.
And your ultimate argument is a thought-terminating cliché... Heh. Anyway, this is going nowhere fast.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I can't help but feel you're a bit too... passionate about this. Did something bad happen this morning?
Wow, good one dude. Ad hominems and belittling people disagreeing with you as irrational and (over)emotional are always classy tactics.
That's a good question — considering you're the one who turned this into a "debate" in the first place.
Uhm, what were you doing in the first place then? Did you not expect or want responses to your posts? You raised a question and argued for a stance in regards to that question. (Never mind that the question was already asked and answered earlier in the thread.) Yet I ... "turned this into a debate"? Again: please quit it with the derailing tactics. If you have actual counterarguments, I would love to hear them, but this ... no thanks.
And your ultimate argument is a thought-terminating cliché... Heh. Anyway, this is going nowhere fast.
No. I was pointing out that one has to accept compromises when designing a product; that at some point, one has to accept that something is good enough. Not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good, and all that. It should be plenty clear from my posts that I did not mean one should always accept compromise, in every situation, and never question them, as your reading seems to think I meant (this is already a design with very few compromises overall!), but I have argued explicitly for how and why this specifically is a reasonable and potentially necessary compromise (and how not accepting that compromise could likely lead to other, more detrimental compromises). I mean, it's not even an intended feature of a case, but something added on because it was possible. And to remind you, that was directed at you actively arguing that no fan mount at all was somehow better than an imperfect one. Which either speaks to a staggering inability to see beyond your own wants and needs, or, as I instead chose to see it, a rather oddly chosen principle to adhere strictly to.

If this is how you respond to people presenting on-topic arguments against you ... please take a breath.

Aluminyum

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 3, 2019
@Valantar First of all, I wasn't "belittling people disagreeing with [me]"; rather, I just didn't like your fiery attitude. To recapitulate it...

I questioned the decision of adding a half-baked feature to the case, and you responded in a somewhat emotional manner, beginning your message with a loaded ellipsis (and so on). Incidentally, that's what I would call the beginning of the "debate". Nonetheless, I clarified that I suggest doing it properly instead of abandoning the feature altogether. Meanwhile, @BRSxIgnition proposed a possible solution which you vehemently opposed, even though @dondan, the actual designer of the case, later confirmed that there is a chance of implementing the feature in question properly. There wasn't much to argue over at that point, and I probably shouldn't have posted what I did.

Lastly, believe it or not, my question about a possibly bad morning was semi-serious, since I don't recall seeing you act this way before. In any case, I didn't intend to insult or belittle you.

facepalmjohannes

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 24, 2020
Hey guys I don‘t really want to interrupt or anything as I am kinda new here. But this discussion does not seem to contribute to the case (hehe). Might as well just use PM‘s as we all are just waiting for Dan to release any news so we shall collectively throw our money at him. Not that discussions could not be useful but this seems rather personal. Sorry if this comes off as rude

definelicht

Caliper Novice
Sep 24, 2020
I personally would prefer either no screw holes, or at least two diagonal screw holes per fan (of course more options for fan placement and layout are always nice if they don't compromise performance, just look at the tricks we have to do for the 30-series FE cards, which we had never imagined going). Part of what makes a case feel premium is when it feels like no corners were cut :-)
It might also be confusing for people building in the case who didn't RTFM, since they'll think they are doing something wrong.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
@definelicht
Sorry but I like to have "halve baked" features in my product if these will result in advantages for some users.
IMO that's a very good approach as long as it doesn't impinge on other, more "mainstream" features. If a few small features can afford alternative uses, hacking, modification or other optimizations for those who want them, that's always a valuable addition. And for an enthusiast(ish) product IMO it's perfectly fine for these to not be 100% perfectly implemented. I mean, the LTT PSU mount is a pretty great example of that.

Ghillie

Caliper Novice
Feb 25, 2020
Donald Glover Pizza GIF

*Checking the C4 thread after leaving it for a bit

Ghillie

Caliper Novice
Feb 25, 2020
Looks like some good developments from Dan, pictures look great. I was waiting for ages for Noctua to release the U9S in Chromax in preperation for the C4, it looks a bit swamped in my TU150 😅

• Haha
Reactions: Arboreal

Questors

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 28, 2018
@AlexTSG: @Arboreal is right these notches are for the two lashes. Theses lashes will increase the stiffness of the part and keep some distance for screw heads if you mount a radiator on the bottom and flip the case.

The AC power socket will be some mm closer to the I/O shield to give enough space for side mounted 280radiator with 25mm fans.
First reviewers will be Optimum, Linus and Computerbase (Germany)

Pushing the envelop was my favorite I will hornor @Arboreal in the manual "Special Thanks" section.

@BRSxIgnition I made the decision to add them only on one side. It will be enough to hold the fans in place. On the other side they will hurt assembly experiance for other stuff.
Make sure Optimum actually does a review and not a biased, "Why I like it" video. His reviews are left wanting for actual details of why something it good, bad or indifferent, in favor of why he personally likes it or not. The T1 he loved didn't even fit together correctly and he was drooling over it because it was small-er. That is hardly objective reviewing.
I do like Optimum Tech's channel, the guy appears genuine. In my estimation he gets too caught up in the enjoyment of "smaller yet" and leaves objectivity out of the equation at times.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@Theai: Should fit in both configuration sandwich and classic. It will be also possible to run a deshroud mod on the x3 in both layouts.

Theai

Trash Compacter
Mar 1, 2020
@dondan thank you :-). How many more months before been able to order one? It maybe too early for answer that question, but a rough estimate will be very helpful :-)

Reactions: DrHudacris

Buddhaben

Case Bender
New User
Jul 9, 2020
Whats is the height clearance between the motherboard and the gpu when in sandwich layout? How much clearance is there for CPU blocks or riser cards like the m.2 expansion card on the Asus Crosshair Impact?