DAN C4-SFX

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Those esthetics parameters (feet, button visible, etc...) are 100% subjective..:)
Interesting that side fan exhausting the hot air coming from the "passthrough" part of the GPU. On a traditional cooling GPU solution I assume the fan would be better as intake to cool the RAM zone and provide all possible fresh air to the cpu cooler to work with?.
Not really. Similar fan setup with cerberus case family...side exhaust is best solution for GPU temperature..:) (even with standard design GPU - open design)

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
The U9S is configured to pull from the back of the case to the front. So the 140 exhaust GPU + CPU.
Doesn't that mean that the CPU is pulling in air heated by the rear exhaust of the GPU? Not that I have that much faith in the efficacy of the "axial fan blowing into a heatsink and being shunted 90° out a slim opening" airflow design of that part of the GPU, but with a 320W GPU there should be a decent amount of heat coming out there. Just for giggles/science, could you try to rig up some sort of baffle separating the GPU rear exhaust and the CPU intake (if the PC is still in this configuration of course)? Taping a sheet of paper in place should be sufficient to test whether this is pushing heat into the CPU.

Curetia

Chassis Packer
Jan 7, 2021
So in sandwich mode the pump can only be 62mm high, right?
In classical layout with a 30mm radiator and 25mm fans is it the same height for the pump or can the pump be higher in classical layout?

Reactions: BRSxIgnition

xredlinexx1

Average Stuffer
Mar 18, 2019
It's been talked about a few times, but I just want to echo other comments. It would be really really awesome if there was some solution for getting the sandwich style to have 3 full slots rather than only 1 accessible.

I'm thinking of bifurcation possibilities. The sandwich style should easily allow a Bifurcation riser and multiple pcie slots. Obviously that would allow for multiple gpus, and other cool possibilities.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
If you use a custom bifurcation PCB for the C4-SFX just make it this way:

1slot (behind the full accessible slot) = Network card/capture card/ sound card s.o.
2slot (behind the 3/4 accessible slot) = GPU (on a modern GPU like RTX 3080 it would be possible to use 3 DP ports.

gewu

Case Bender
New User
Jan 30, 2021
Maybe i should dev. a special stand for this usecase.
I'd like to see a stand for the A4 as well :)

Reactions: peacecraft_M

Schnaxelhuber

Efficiency Noob
Feb 11, 2020
Can someone explain to me a thing I see very often in m1 and also here in classic layout: building fans directly underneath the gpu with no gap in between. How can that be efficient in any way? Are there any testresults ? because I‘m sure that’s doing almost nothing but adding noise. All I know is that fanblades are basically airfoils and airfoils work really bad in turbulent air.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Try to smell your fart while driving on a bicycle :D

The two fans activly running working like a perfect GPU fan duct. Because of the air stream it is impossible for the GPU to pull in hot air. It has to pull in the fresh air from the bottom fans.

I made a small test one with running bottom fan one with stopped bottom fan:

GPU without bottom fans = 80°C 2500rpm
GPU with bottom fans= 74°C 1650rpm

So yes these fans have a big impact.

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Can someone explain to me a thing I see very often in m1 and also here in classic layout: building fans directly underneath the gpu with no gap in between. How can that be efficient in any way? Are there any testresults ? because I‘m sure that’s doing almost nothing but adding noise. All I know is that fanblades are basically airfoils and airfoils work really bad in turbulent air.
You're thinking about it a bit backwards. GPU fans aren't controlled through how much airflow they deliver after all, but GPU thermals. So if there's a bigger, external fan already feeding air into the GPU heatsink, the GPU fan controller is less likely to ramp up the smaller, louder GPU fans. There's simply less work for them to do. So while you're probably right that the GPU fans do less work per rotation with fans blowing directly into them, the cooling effect is still better as the overall volume of air moving through the heatsink is much higher. You could probably achieve similar results by deshrouding the GPU and making a fan duct from the case fans and onto the heatsink, though it's likely that the GPU fans help a bit in forcing air through dense fin stacks (smaller fans typically have better static pressure specs, and pressure adds up with more fans even if flow doesn't).

Curetia

Chassis Packer
Jan 7, 2021

GPU with bottom fans = 80°C 2500rpm
GPU without = 74°C 1650rpm

This means without the bottom fans the GPU will be cooler and the fan of the GPU will run at lower noise?

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I'd like to see a stand for the A4 as well :)
Remember that you'd need something like 6-7cm added to the bottom for cable routing, unless you want to start hunting for angled connector DP and HDMI cables. 5cm would be an absolute minimum IMO. You'd also be placing the centre of gravity very high in the PC (PSUs are heavy), with essentially a box full of air at the bottom, so stability would be poor. It would work, but it would look significantly bigger, and you'd need to be careful not to tip it over. This all of course also applies to the C4, though its wider stance should alleviate stability concerns somewhat.

Schnaxelhuber

Efficiency Noob
Feb 11, 2020
Try to smell your fart while driving on a bicycle :D

The two fans activly running working like a perfect GPU fan duct. Because of the air stream it is impossible for the GPU to pull in hot air. It has to pull in the fresh air from the bottom fans.

GPU without bottom fans = 80°C 2500rpm
GPU with bottom fans= 74°C 1650rpm

Ok that makes sense.
Wouldn‘t it also be a good idea to use fans that Spin the opposite direction then the ones the gpu uses? I think the Scythe Fuma is using the same concept and it’s working pretty good. Judging by the pictures scythe Kaze fans are spinning clockwise oppose to most other fans including gpu‘s.

Reactions: DrHudacris