DAN C4-SFX

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@ignsvn: Yes it can hold 3 slot cards. Max GPU size is 62*115*305 (Thickness*Height*Length). The 115mm height limit is from the bottom of the PCIe Port to the top of the power ports. So if the power ports are lowered the card could be 128mm in height. If you use low profile 180° angle power pcb's the max height for the power connector could be increased to 120mm.So a RADEON VII or Asus 5700XT Strix will fit.

@jaeparku : I use a 120mm Noctua Sterox but a 140mm will also fit. The case is designed for different configuration so moving the PSU closer to the motherboard to make the case more short will remove 240 AIO support.

@Xoroxronis: I will make that picture if I show 180° flip mode in the next days.

@Spd2Last: The Gigabyte X570 ITX is maybe the worse board for using the Noctua C14S because the socket position is on a very high spot. If you install the C14S in normal orientation (heatpipe bends facing the backside of the case) it will not fit in this case on this board. So I mount it 90°+ clock wise. In this orientation the heat pipe bends are very close to the backside of the GPU. Because of the installed bottom fans it wasn't possible to move the GPU more down so I used a small plastic sheet to be on the save site. I know Noctua does not recommend this use-case, but the heatsink has sinter ones that can works against gravity so the C14S performs only 2-3°C worse.

@warspitebattleship: The front is mounted with screws from the inside.

McPhee

Trash Compacter
Feb 19, 2020
If you use low profile 180° angle power pcb's the max height for the power connector could be increased to 120mm.So a RADEON VII or Asus 5700XT Strix will fit.

Typo? Did you mean 130mm?

If so, that's really good. More than it looked in the pictures.

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
@dondan

can we move over the mobo closer to the PSU to make space for two backpanel fans? Is it a possible configuration? Because your original C4 design included 2 case fan support for the back.

Last edited:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Typo? Did you mean 130mm?

If so, that's really good. More than it looked in the pictures.

Yup perhaps a typo?

And @dondan, can I double check - by "low profile 180° angle power pcb ", do you mean something like this https://www.moddiy.com/products/GPU...80-Degree-Angle-Connector-Adapter-Board.html? So in traditional layout, using that 180° PCB + provided the GPU power socket is recessed, we can use GPU up to 128mm tall?

(I wonder whether that PCB will clear cards with back plate. Anyone used it before?)

But sad to see many GPUs are now like 135mm tall ?

I guess I'll just wait for GPU compatibility list :)

Last edited:

imode

Chassis Packer
Nov 28, 2018
With the GPU in sandwich layout is air-cooling the CPU still possible or does it require water cooling?

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
Ok I was wrong. After seeing the C4 pictures a lot, I change my mind. The top power button does look better than the front one. Especially since the front one is awkwardly placed near the top area.

I repent guys. Take me into the top panel button club.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I don't see any mention of this, but I really like the "bar" style feet.

Are you going to get samples in various heights to check the differences between cooling performance and aesthetics?

It looks like with this style it will be easy for people to mod their own feet if they do want to change the height.

I don't have a cat, so I'm in the top panel button club. Undecided on the front logo, although I generally prefer things to be unbranded.

Reactions: Arboreal and ignsvn

fatpolomanjr

Caliper Novice
Aug 20, 2019
@dondan

can we move over the mobo closer to the PSU to make space for two backpanel fans? Is it a possible configuration? Because your original C4 design included 2 case fan support for the back.
Not sure how you can move the motherboard closer to the psu without compromising on the length of compatible graphics cards, since the pcie slot is in a fixed location on the motherboard. It looks like the Ncase allows enough room for the rear fan by having a larger width.

McPhee

Trash Compacter
Feb 19, 2020
Did the case fan compatibility listed in the OP get dropped or something?

Traditional Layout
Graphic cards support:
2.75 Slot GPU up to 300mm length (only 2 Slot bracket)
Motherboard support: Mini-ITX, DTX
Power Supply support: SFX, SFX-L
CPU Heatsink support: Up to 126mm in height.
Case Fans: 2x 80mm fan at the back, or 1x92mm at the back, 2x120mm at the bottom
Water cooling support: up to 240mm radiator with 120x120x25mm fans

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@McPhee:

@McPhee & @jaeparku It is possibe to install 2x80mm fans or 1x 92mm at the back. The Gigabyte X570 does not have enough fan headers so i didn't installed it.

@imode You can but you have only 65mm for the heatsink.

@AlexTSG Yes I will test it.

Last edited:

Harding

Efficiency Noob
May 13, 2020
Been lurking in the shadows for some time now, (literally years ?) and have been watching this development. (I'm thinking of 'upgrading' my kickstarter A4v2 and the C4 would seem like a logical step) so I'm looking at this case in great detail. I like it a lot already.

I've got a question regarding the riser/bracket for the GPU in sandwich-mode: Seems like it would block a lot of airflow of the fan beneath it? Will this be perforated? Or maybe a cutout where possible in the PCB and bracket (the integraty/sturdiness of the bracket should not be impacted that way I think)?

Just thinking out loud. No idea if a cutout would make for a more or less noisy fan underneath.

Keep up the good work, Dan!

Erasmo Jardim

Case Bender
New User
Apr 16, 2020
I finally declare my interest, thus I'll be camping here, just in case :)

Anw, I'm in the same group who wish the front panel to be clean from any logo. Don't get me wrong, it's really a badge of honor but I'd prefer to have it somewhere low-key, unassuming. Like the back side perhaps.

Also, I personally prefer alu instead of TG. No fuss & easier to carry around.

Some questions & opinion @dondan (sorry I didn't really follow from the start, please bear with me if some questions were already asked before):

1. I'm slightly leaning toward power button on top - but front side is OK as well, not a deal breaker. Will you be using vandal or custom button? (I personally prefer vandal.. easier to replace if something goes wrong).
2. Would love to have I/Os on one of the side. But again, not a deal breaker.
3. What is the distance from the bottom panel to the surface (like, desk)? I just want to know how easy / hard to get fresh air down there.
4. On traditional GPU layout, how many 2.5" drives can be used, and where are they located?
5. Is this the current dimension? Case Dimensions (H x W x D): 232 x 148 x 315mm, 10.8L

Thank you!
I totally agree with you! it's a privilege for us to have a Dan case, however, I believe the front panel should be clean from any logo.

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
I can't speak for everyone, but I'm willing to spend $250-300+ for this case if it has the sand blasted anodized panels like seen in Ghost case. The finish is extremely premium.

McPhee

Trash Compacter
Feb 19, 2020
€185-€225 looks like an amazing price point to me. Right now, at European retailers, that buys you a Dan A4, Streacom DA2, Kolink Rocket, Inwin A1 or Lazer3D LZ7. Sliger's SM570 is more comparable on features, but it's €265 + config options + shipping.

Last edited:

Harding

Efficiency Noob
May 13, 2020
Update:

240 AIO in classic layout with two powerful Noctua A12x25. Very easy to build no problem with cable management. Also a very nice build experience.
[...]
Thank you, stay safe
Daniel

I was thinking sandwich-layout was my favorite, but now I'm not sure any more ? The classic layout gives more cooling power for the cpu in terms of fans.
I'm not a fan (pun unintended ?) of blowerstyle GPU's, so I am curious about heat dissipation when using an open air cooler. In the A4 it currently works fine for me , but the heat goes out via the bottom (exhaust fans) and top. In the C4 in classic layout I'm hoping the heat can escape via the panel vents quickly enough to prevent build-up.

Still, I like what I see, a lot :-) The flexibility/versatility to try out various set-ups is great.
Thanks for the updates and the time you take to reply to everyone here, Dan!

darksilver

Cable Smoosher
Sep 10, 2019
I was thinking sandwich-layout was my favorite, but now I'm not sure any more ? The classic layout gives more cooling power for the cpu in terms of fans.
I'm not a fan (pun unintended ?) of blowerstyle GPU's, so I am curious about heat dissipation when using an open air cooler. In the A4 it currently works fine for me , but the heat goes out via the bottom (exhaust fans) and top. In the C4 in classic layout I'm hoping the heat can escape via the panel vents quickly enough to prevent build-up.

Still, I like what I see, a lot :-) The flexibility/versatility to try out various set-ups is great.
Thanks for the updates and the time you take to reply to everyone here, Dan!

If it's anything like the Ncase, which it is (not a dig), the heat will dissipate out the sides and top depending on fan directions, but it will heat up the Mobo/CPU more than if it was exhausted elsewhere. This is one of the reasons the Accelero mod on GPU and exhausting out the bottom is so popular with the Ncase.

I would be curious to know Accelero fit compatibility on this one...