DAN C4-SFX

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
...your statement of "So you want a slower interface, a larger physical drive, and two extra cables in your system; all for twice the capacity & a 33% price drop...? Pass..." is totally wrong.

But if it is MY statement, pertaining to MY world view on SFF storage, it can inherently only be correct...! ;^p

The year is 2037 and a M.2 NVMe SSD on PCIe Gen69 has 420PB of storage for the low cost of only 27 Simoleons...!

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
But if it is MY statement, pertaining to MY world view on SFF storage, it can inherently only be correct...! ;^p

The year is 2037 and a M.2 NVMe SSD on PCIe Gen69 has 420PB of storage for the low cost of only 27 Simoleons...!

Again: U.2 is the best of both worlds. The physical area of 2.5” (greater capacity at lower costs) + the speed of NVME + the flexible placement (and improved thermals) of external drives.

The solution exists. Pity it’s only widely adopted in the enterprise.

Reactions: Revenant

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Again: U.2 is the best of both worlds. The physical area of 2.5” (greater capacity at lower costs) + the speed of NVME + the flexible placement (and improved thermals) of external drives.

The solution exists. Pity it’s only widely adopted in the enterprise.

Six Slimline PCIe 4.0 x8 for U.2 connections on that Epyc Deep ITX mobo...?

I envision a C4-SFX XL, about 20mm or so wider, with the additional width behind the mobo tray & mount locations for six 2.5" U.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 SSDs...!

Add the 10mm or so height to allow for 25mm thick intake (normal mode) / exhaust (inverted mode) fans, should still be 15L...!

64-core / 128-thread Epyc CPU
Up to 1TB RAM
4TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 x4 Sabrent Rocket Q4 SSD
Six 2.5" U.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 x8 SSDs (nearly triple digit TBs total?)
Radeon Pro W6900 (80CU / 32GB GDDR6 @ 18Gbps)
Corsair SF850 SFX PSU (850W / Platinum-rated)

280 AIO for CPU
GPU deshrouded / defanned, dual NF-A12x25 PWM fans added for exhaust in inverted mode

That would be a whole lot of compute power in a 15L package...!!!

Last edited:

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
@Boil I've been wondering for a while now... do you have a thing for ellipses?

I just feel regular punctuation is kinda crowded on the end of a sentence...! ;^p

That's a very valid concern but... have you asked yourself how many MP and charisma stats that awesome beard adds? That I want to know 😛

I am not at liberty to reveal the full extent of my power(s), but the stats your a curious about are well over 9000...!!! ;^p

• Haha
Reactions: SiKiaTriK

Aluminyum

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 3, 2019
I just feel regular punctuation is kinda crowded on the end of a sentence...! ;^p
Heh...
That's a very valid concern but... have you asked yourself how many MP and carisma stats that awesome beard adds? That I want to know 😛
Asking the real questions.
Okay, so this thread has somehow turned into an M.2 vs SATA SSD debate.
Actually, it's about ellipses and beards.

Joking apart, back on topic...

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Six Slimline PCIe 4.0 x8 for U.2 connections on that Epyc Deep ITX mobo...?

I envision a C4-SFX XL, about 20mm or so wider, with the additional width behind the mobo tray & mount locations for six 2.5" U.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 SSDs...!

Add the 10mm or so height to allow for 25mm thick intake (normal mode) / exhaust (inverted mode) fans, should still be 15L...!

64-core / 128-thread Epyc CPU
Up to 1TB RAM
4TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 x4 Sabrent Rocket Q4 SSD
Six 2.5" U.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 x8 SSDs (nearly triple digit TBs total?)
Radeon Pro W6900 (80CU / 32GB GDDR6 @ 18Gbps)
Corsair SF850 SFX PSU (850W / Platinum-rated)

280 AIO for CPU
GPU deshrouded / defanned, dual NF-A12x25 PWM fans added for exhaust in inverted mode

That would be a whole lot of compute power in a 15L package...!!!

Joking apart, back on topic...

I was trying to bring it back on the topic of the C4-SFX (albeit with feature creep / volume inflation), but then was ambushed by the Punctuation Police...! ;^p

• Haha
Reactions: Aluminyum

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
Why is ATX PSU support needed? Surely most hardware can run on current 750w SFX PSUs and upcoming 850w+ PSUs?
1. Lower price (SFX PSUs are expensive, sometimes even scalper prices)
2. More wattage (For special use cases, but again it's still an option)
3. Always in stock (High wattage SFX PSUs are out of stock most of the time)

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Dan,

I know you've shown prototypes made out of metal, but I really need you to sculpt it out of marble. I would settle for granite but it needs to really draw out the character of the rock. Additionally, I need a small zen garden integrated into the top of the case. A water feature would be nice but not mandatory.

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
Dan,

I know you've shown prototypes made out of metal, but I really need you to sculpt it out of marble. I would settle for granite but it needs to really draw out the character of the rock. Additionally, I need a small zen garden integrated into the top of the case. A water feature would be nice but not mandatory.
Umm... Do you mean a case made of MARBLE? Completely unfeasible because
  1. It's hard to carve marble
  2. It's brittle and easy to break
  3. You can't settle for thin marble... You have to make it like 20mm thick for it to work
Or do you just mean a solid block of marble with nothing inside?

Last edited:

Ghillie

Caliper Novice
Feb 25, 2020
Umm... Do you mean a case made of MARBLE? Completely unfeasible because
  1. It's hard to carve marble
  2. It's brittle and easy to break
  3. You can't settle for thin marble... You have to make it like 20mm thick for it to work
Or do you just mean a solid block of marble with nothing inside?
This man is clearly an idiot, ignore his attention seeking on this sensible and mature thread
What you REALLY want are perforated 530 karat diamond side panels. I've recently learned that diamond is an incredibly versatile and strong substance that can easily be hammered into solid blocks and even shaped into useful tools like pickaxes and offensive weapons like swords. Imagine the durability and look of a bright blue mineral case!!!1! Dan do your research asap

Reactions: Revenant

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Hi all, a reminder not to stray too far from the original topic. Light banter & meaningful jokes are always fun, but personal attack in any form is not. Debate about the idea, not the person. As always, sarcasm & troll are best ignored.

I already explained why I need additional slots for 2.5" drives. I am completely OK & understand if Dan decided to stick with 1 (the current revision). Obviously not a reason to start a forum war.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
There should be ATX PSU support... According to dimensions it should fit, but cables should be harder

Keep in mind, there is a main power plug sticking out one end, and then al the cables out the other... SFX-L is supported, but recommended against for cable clearance issues, going full ATX will only make that much much worse....?

Why is ATX PSU support needed? Surely most hardware can run on current 750w SFX PSUs and upcoming 850w+ PSUs?

Don't forget the Silverstone 1kW SFX-L PSU...!

1. Lower price (SFX PSUs are expensive, sometimes even scalper prices)
2. More wattage (For special use cases, but again it's still an option)
3. Always in stock (High wattage SFX PSUs are out of stock most of the time)

The quality SFX PSUs are Platinum-rated, so worth a little bit more...? But I feel the "scalper prices" is more a supply & demand thing right now...? Not a lot of supply because of the global pandemic, but when the supply chain is back on track, pricing should return to normal...?

Most SFF is ITX & single GPU, so wattage is not a huge issue; but we have 750W Platinum SFX, rumors of a 850W Platinum SFX, and the 1kW (that's 1000W...!!!) Platinum SFX-L PSUs...

Plenty of power for the most demanding of SFF rigs...?!?

Differentiating that higher-wattage PSUs are out of stock really isn't saying anything, those are the PSUs folks want, so of course the lower-wattage units are in stock, no one needs them...!

All in all, right now is kind of a bad time to be a SFF Enthusiast, due to uncontrollable supply issues & massive demand for components...!

Aluminyum

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 3, 2019
Am I the only one who's disappointed by the 132mm limit of the traditional layout? Personally, I can't stand both AIO coolers and PCIe risers, so I wish there were support for cards at least 135mm tall.

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
Am I the only one who's disappointed by the 132mm limit of the traditional layout? Personally, I can't stand both AIO coolers and PCIe risers, so I wish there were support for cards at least 135mm tall.
In classic layout cases, the GPU cooler height is around case width - 20mm. In the C4, The estimated GPU cooler height would be 151mm - 20mm = 131mm, which is quite accurate. This goes for almost all cases, so 135mm and up can be implemented at the current dimensions, although it would suggest some changes (1mm steel, low profile motherboard standoffs required, etc).

@dondan, what is the height of the motherboard standoffs?

Last edited: