DAN C4-SFX

Daemos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 3, 2017
I think the one thing Dan is really good at is taking feedback from the community and he never stops trying to improve the case design.

I hope he can come up with a case soon that he is satisfied with as I think the SSF community needs more cases and more options so the userbase continues to grow.

Ghillie

Caliper Novice
Feb 25, 2020
Bruh who pissed in your cereal this morning
He's got his main job and he's working on this case on the side, attempting to make a case that takes into account our suggestions and cover a wide range of needs better than large case companies with far more resources. You're telling him to rush the release of his incomplete case to 'salvage his reputation' when that would only make his already stellar reputation worse. Dunno what your problem is, I'm assuming just an overall childish disposition with the resentment of him trying to gauge interest for his product.
I hope he doesn't see this and put stock into anything you're saying, and hope that he's still happy working on the case that a lot of people would enjoy.

Cool9

What's an ITX?
New User
Feb 18, 2020
I'm one of the silent forum users keeping a close eye on the development of this case. I think it looks amazing, especially with the glass side panel. I don't ever plan on stuffing it with the highest possible hardware, as it's out of my price range, but I think it would look excellent in my livingroom with a mid-range CPU/GPU. Should be plenty big to cool those components adequately and look great while doing it. I'd rather get the C4, but I'm also considering the NCase M1, since they're quite similar.

Detonator

Efficiency Noob
Jun 30, 2020
Hi everyone and Dan! I, too, out of the shadow of silence =)
Sorry for my English (actually not mine but Google translate).
First of all, Dan - well done! And a few more quotes from the whole branch that deserve the status of gold:

@dondan: "It should be a case for everyone not only for the hardcore SFF lovers"
@Hoarst: "And i think the cut out doesn't hurt a lot the overall aesthetics, i think cases don't have to look awesome on the backside, I mean all the connected cables hide a lot"
@Bonusround: "Once 'minimum absolute volume' has been set aside as a guiding principle, another 0.3 liters doesn't change the equation. It's an ~11 liter case either way"

I have been fond of assembling compact PCs for many years (I have been using Luna Prime for the last couple of years, be sure to get to know all those who have not seen it, this is a product from Russia, it is interesting and incredibly beautiful and premium), but I don’t like sandwiches because I don’t like water cooling (although it certainly looks fantastically beautiful, but still expensive and troublesome). I was expecting something similar to the Nсase M1, with the classic layout of the video card, but more elegant, beautiful and extremely compact for full-size dual-slot video cards, close-fitting. And 2 days ago, a little rummaging in modern offers, I still decided to buy the M1, because there is nothing more, but in one of the reviews on it, the blogger mentioned the upcoming C4. Need I say how delighted I was! The C4-SFX was perfect. I eagerly read the whole topic, and here is the drama on the last page!
Dan, this product is amazing, do not attach importance to the fact that in the classic layout it showed the worst results, it is generally natural that the results will be different and there will be a leader and an outsider. The classic layout still deserves the right to exist, it will be in demand by some users, not everyone needs the hottest processors and video cards. Enough for many even GTX1650. Also, do not worry about the lack of interest in this case, it has not yet come out, almost no one knows anything about it, I accidentally stumbled upon it. Therefore, listen to the excellent recommendation from @PatRig and just take a break from cats turning off PCs, disputes about the immense volume of 0.3 liters and the beauty of round versus square =)

This is what I wanted to say about the syndrome of the second product =).
And now about the case and my preferences, take this into statistics when you return after rest =)
Why is the classic layout attractive to me? I also belong to those users who simply take these 11 liters and put in there not the most powerful equipment on the planet, and begin to whine that they need a bigger radiator, but the maximum that this case can handle. But besides this, I see one amazing opportunity for me to mod, I want to move the PSU closer to the motherboard, and put such a thing (Procase T2-012-SATA3-BK) in the space formed, with the loading holes oriented upwards. This will allow removing only the top cover to quickly change 2.5" discs.
+1 for front button
+1 for USB-C on the front panel (and more, USB-A), this is mainly necessary to stick a flash drive from time to time, and type C will not yet be in every pocket soon.
+1 Sand Blasted Power Button
+1 slots on top
+1 for the rectangular slots on the rear panel, there are a lot of wires, everyone will still try to hide this part, what difference does it look like. Let there be more effective air conduction
+500 @dondan: "If there will be a logo I will make it removeable"
Logos really often spoil the design than improve.

Well, maybe you can consider changing the mounting of the PSU, so that we can move it by an arbitrary amount towards the motherboard, if this does not cause conflicts with the other goals of this case, this will be a great opportunity for moders.

nabuca

Efficiency Noob
Jul 2, 2019
Moin Dan,

been following this for some time. I own a A4 4.1 and really like it, but I want something a tad larger. I think the classic layout is great and I like having different options to build. Hope you will finish the case.

3dl1r

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 6, 2019
I am currently trying to purchase the formd t1, but if c4 were available, i would have considered it as well. I almost ordered the ncase two weeks ago but they said the formd t1 would be available on 20th june so.... i consider c4 a better choice than the ncase due to gpu maneuvrability. Though, i am sure all these cases are top quality products and worth the money.

3dl1r

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 6, 2019
New Cooler Master ITX case on the way. Seems familiar.

I would not get this case, CM might be a good brand but i prefer phanteks ... i also prefer angled edges present in phanteks designs but i am not that fixated. Don't mind me, these are my personal tastes of exterior designs

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@dondan personally I'm not exactly comfortable with inverted layout as a default, simply because GPU fan on top + gravity will suck dust in even more.

While this is true, its biggest advantage is better temperatures and it requires less high case feets. But I aggree it is a valid point.

hey dan, i am one of those silent readers. To be honest, I found the old design a little better and always hoped for an ssf showcase with water cooling, at best a costum loop.

Do you mean with design the outer look or the layout? The layout of the old C4 is also included in the new one. So with the optional window kit you can have sandwich + window kit also in the new C4. If you mean the outer design something like this could be also possible on the current C4 if the demand is high enough.

Hi everyone and Dan! I, too, out of the shadow of silence =)
Sorry for my English (actually not mine but Google translate).
First of all, Dan - well done! And a few more quotes from the whole branch that deserve the status of gold:

@dondan:
Well, maybe you can consider changing the mounting of the PSU, so that we can move it by an arbitrary amount towards the motherboard, if this does not cause conflicts with the other goals of this case, this will be a great opportunity for moders.

I took some research about these 2.5" hot plug internal case carrier and it looks like you need ~ 25mm between PSU and front plate. Is this true?

Detonator

Efficiency Noob
Jun 30, 2020
I took some research about these 2.5" hot plug internal case carrier and it looks like you need ~ 25mm between PSU and front plate. Is this true?
Yes, I now measured it with my Russian ruler, it turned out 26mm. I also marked with a green frame the plane from which to count, since the parts marked with a red cross will prevent the opening of a 2.5" case. I also tried to depict how the part should look in order to be able to shift the PSU by an arbitrary amount, but if its form is contrary to religion and politics is okay, I just make a spacer there myself.

Reactions: Fitchew

bushonpen

Caliper Novice
May 18, 2020
Yes, I now measured it with my Russian ruler, it turned out 26mm. I also marked with a green frame the plane from which to count, since the parts marked with a red cross will prevent the opening of a 2.5" case. I also tried to depict how the part should look in order to be able to shift the PSU by an arbitrary amount, but if its form is contrary to religion and politics is okay, I just make a spacer there myself.

Although this would be nice for modders, they are a very small part of the community. I think that if the options to move the PSU to different positions will add extra cost or another compromise, it should be made only as an additional accessory that can be bought separately.

Retrias

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 28, 2018
To reiterate my opinion on this:
I am interested in this case as an owner of the ncase because of the following point
1. its DTX compatible, there is currently a lack of dtx compatible case in the premium itx/dtx case space
2.It would allow me to use bigger gpu than the ncase m1, so it would afford me more freedom to choose higher end gpu with better cooling without going into water cooled hardware

thats basically it, there are little sff case that fulfill all these requirement, while the likes of tu150 and that CM cases also fulfill this requirement, I have no interest in those as they are too large for my taste on a DTX/ITX case

Reactions: carpet3

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
When you make a case, you cannot cater to everyone's interests. Some people want giant rad watercooling options, most don't need that much. Others want SFX-L PSU or MicroATX mobo compatibility, but again, most don't want it. The minute you give in to everyone's demands, your case loses identity, and I think it hurts the project and what it could do.

I suggest focusing on just air-cooling or just water-cooling, rather than trying to maximize both. At the end of the day, it is YOUR case so it has to be based on your preferences. If they don't agree with your decisions, maybe some people won't buy your case. But that's okay. You cannot please everybody. Your case doesn't have to be 100% perfect. I think it's fine as it is, minus one or two minor complaints. Because the A4 was such a popular case, the C4 should have no problems selling.

Ghillie

Caliper Novice
Feb 25, 2020
I'm curious, what features of this case attracted you all to it? Personally I love the idea of a case with the air cooling flexibility of an ncase with the much nicer looks of the C4 prototype, and hopefully also better availability since the A4 is one of the only good sff cases I can buy in the UK

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I'm curious, what features of this case attracted you all to it? Personally I love the idea of a case with the air cooling flexibility of an ncase with the much nicer looks of the C4 prototype, and hopefully also better availability since the A4 is one of the only good sff cases I can buy in the UK

I think the unique features are obvious:
- Dual internal layouts, classic & back-to-back
- Dual placement - normal & inverted. On back-to-back layout, having the GPU facing away from you is slightly quieter, or, if you use the glass cover, you can put the case either on the left or right hand side of your desk & still be able to see your $$$$ GPU. On classic layout, having the GPU at the bottom is beneficial for those who don't like dust, while GPU on top is good for those who like to have unrestricted air intake for the GPU.
- Dan's signature quality.

Detonator

Efficiency Noob
Jun 30, 2020
I think that if the options to move the PSU to different positions will add extra cost or another compromise, it should be made only as an additional accessory that can be bought separately.
The proposed idea is just a small modernization of an existing part, it just needs to be improved, I don't think it will affect the price. In the first figure, I was a little mistaken with the shape of the part, it will not allow fixing the PSU, here is the amendment:

It is also worth considering that a symmetrical continuation of this design will be required on the opposite side of the case, but if all this leads to a violation of the author's key ideas, I can offer one more compromise - you just need to add only the mount to this place:

Then, for those who want to make such a mod, it will be enough to purchase the following part:

By adding such a small change, you can open the way for modders who can fit in this space, for example, a pair of 3.5 inch hard drives

Last edited:

Detonator

Efficiency Noob
Jun 30, 2020
The aluminum is too soft and the stripes are too slim so the stripes can bend easily. Therefor I made the decision to go with the round vent hole array for the top panel.
@dondan, You have definitely decided on this decision, Were there any ideas for strengthening? Can a longitudinal stiffener? The stripes at the top look very attractive (this is of course a matter of taste), but they also provide significantly better ventilation. By the way, if you already have samples of the top with stripes, can you conduct a test?
Have you thought about changing the shape of the rectangular window on the side? For my taste, it looks really boring, can you try experimenting with simple or even more complex forms? Or it can create some semblance of a gradient using holes of smaller diameter around the edges. And again, I don’t know how all this affects the complexity and cost of production.
In general, I really like this case even as it is now, and I hope I can buy it. But now it seems to me that he does not look premium, something is missing in him. Nevertheless, although I like the combination of beautiful + functional, when I have to choose beautiful or functional, I choose the second. Please do not take this more than a feature of taste, and if you think it is amazingly beautiful, I can not argue with that

Wildmongoose

Chassis Packer
Nov 14, 2018
As a mostly silent reader I am interested in this case because it is a smaller more modern Ncase. I will be building a new system this fall and would like build in a nice ITX case. I was planning to build in the T1 with aluminum side panels but would definitely prefer the C4 as long as there isn't any branding(unless its a discrete logo) or USB-C on the front panel to ruin the crisp clean aesthetic.

- I would like to suggest instead of having usb-c on the front, just putting a spot on the back of the case where users can add the extra type-c connection if needed. After all this is small itx case that will be sitting on the desk so using the back to connect everything is no big deal. Otherwise, putting the port on the top panel is the move for sure.

For internal layout I am planning on cramming in a custom loop with a 240 rad and prefer the (M1) layout. However I am not using a glass panel so I won't see much after its built so as long as I can fit my loop the internal layout doesn't matter to much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoarst

bushonpen

Caliper Novice
May 18, 2020
As a mostly silent reader I am interested in this case because it is a smaller more modern Ncase. I will be building a new system this fall and would like build in a nice ITX case. I was planning to build in the T1 with aluminum side panels but would definitely prefer the C4 as long as there isn't any branding(unless its a discrete logo) or USB-C on the front panel to ruin the crisp clean aesthetic.

- I would like to suggest instead of having usb-c on the front, just putting a spot on the back of the case where users can add the extra type-c connection if needed. After all this is small itx case that will be sitting on the desk so using the back to connect everything is no big deal. Otherwise, putting the port on the top panel is the move for sure.

For internal layout I am planning on cramming in a custom loop with a 240 rad and prefer the (M1) layout. However I am not using a glass panel so I won't see much after its built so as long as I can fit my loop the internal layout doesn't matter to much.
I don't understand why people think a simple usb-c connector is ruining the cleanness of a case. Personally, having 0 ports on the front will be a huge inconvenience and I am glad the C4 has one.

McPhee

Trash Compacter
Feb 19, 2020
Personally, I don't care much either way. But it could be argued that without is better; it reduces cost, removes a potentially superfluous component (either because someone doesn't need a front connector, or because they can't use USB-C) and improves the look of the case. The inconvenience is easily solved with a USB hub for anyone who cares.

I use the front panel connectors on my M1. But I've removed the USB-C header as my motherboard can't use it (B450). If the case shipped without front I/O, I'd just buy a hub.

Last edited:
Reactions: bushonpen