DAN C4-SFX

Paullawr

Chassis Packer
Feb 28, 2020
Ab
Update:

Today I got some more pictures of C4-SFX samples. Also these samples are not final.
There a still parts that are missing and needs to be optimised.

I also got some pictures of the window kits.

Edit more pictures:

Thank you, stay safe
Daniel
absolutely loving silver and black

Reactions: Arboreal

DhruvK

Efficiency Noob
Feb 18, 2020
Latest prototype images look great. Torn between this and a FormD T1 for my first foray into high-performance SFF - starting to slowly stockpile the components to downsize my 9900k/2080ti rig into ITX. Will likely pull the trigger on whichever of the two options has better availability, but love the flexibility and design language of the C4!

Spd2Last

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 2, 2020
Short story, and my first post on this forum... My current PC was put together in 2013 using a Fractal Node 304 as host. I've always been fascinated to build small, powerful, and quiet using air cooling, and I've been getting the itch to build a new, smaller, faster PC than what I have now. I don't want to make sacrifices in performance to fit a smaller case, but most current sff cases besides the NCase M1 have insufficient space (<=70mm) to attach a decently sized air cooler. And although the M1 is a highly rated case, I wanted something smaller...

So I decided to give it a shot myself. I fired up Fusion 360 to mock up computer components, and I tried many different positions and orientations of the components to optimize all available space. I kept thermals well in mind as I would be air cooling my system. I finally settled on a design, and drew up a theoretical case around it.

Unrelated, I find a post on Reddit mentioning a Dan C4 prototype, and searching that lead me to this thread. I come to find that my rough design and the Dan C4 are within a few mm of each other. Wow! Most everything is laid out in the exact same way with the exception of the ability to mount the GPU sandwich style. I had even accounted for a max GPU length of 300mm (based on average lengths for the 2080Ti), and incorporated 2 80mm fans or a single 92mm at the back (though my designs started with a single 140mm exhaust in a vertical orientation).

So I was very pleasantly surprised to find my same idea in the layout of these components in a case that's less than 11L. I'm aiming to build my PC sometime next year, and I cannot wait to see further developments on this case. I felt I would be "settling" for either the FormD T1 or Ncase M1, but THIS is what I was looking for! Keep up the great work and looking forward to it!

bubumac

Cable Smoosher
Apr 19, 2020
1st post in this forum too. Waiting for the Ryzen 4000 and this would also be my 1st ITX build.

The latest prototype looks amazing. I'd been looking for an in between the FormD T1 and M1, I want a sandwich but I also want I/Os and a slightly bigger frame for fans. Then finally, I chance upon the C4. Will likely go for the sandwich and flipped build (exhaust). Just wanna check on the followings, please...
(1) I read that there's a 46mm clearance at the top (when flipped). What about the bottom? Any space for slim fans?
(2) A pity to have missed the survey, I really like the 2nd render with the I/Os. Is there any chance the front panel could be customised/ purchased as an add-on like the M1?
(3) The C4 accommodates 3 x2.5" drives, are they mounted behind the front panel? I suppose 3.5" drives wouldn't fit?

Thank you for making the C4 a reality. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Update:

The work on the prototypes is nearly done. The following parts are missing:
• Logo silk screen printing on some panels
• USB-C front I/O cable
• Some Power button sample with different surface finish (sand blasted, circular brushed, linear brushed)
• Case feets

In the meanwhile, I thought about two changes. Increase the case height to 238mm. This will result in a case volume of 11,1L. It will be possible to have 3 Slots in classical hardware layout and will give support for 240AIO + normal thick fans (25mm) instead of slim ones (17mm) in sandwich layout. Furthermore, I added a small cutout that will let you access a DVI or Displayport port on the second slot if the sandwich layout is used.

What do you think should I made these changes?

Thank you, stay safe
Daniel

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@bubumac:
1) In default oriantation bottom would be top like on the picture above. There is only 10mm above the motherboard so there is no space for slim fans.
3) You can mount one drive on the front plate and the second and third drive at the bottom under the GPU. This will be not possible in sandwich mode.

tsmax

Caliper Novice
Nov 20, 2019
In the meanwhile, I thought about two changes. Increase the case height to 238mm. This will result in a case volume of 11,1L. It will be possible to have 3 Slots in classical hardware layout and will give support for 240AIO + normal thick fans (25mm) instead of slim ones (17mm) in sandwich layout. Furthermore, I added a small cutout that will let you access a DVI or Displayport port on the second slot if the sandwich layout is used.
Definitely cool with increasing the height 6mm for a full 3 slots or thicker fans, adds a lot more compatability for a small volume increase. I'd prefer if the DVI/DP cutout wasn't there aesthetically, and I'm not sure if too many people would use it, but i may be wrong on that.

sdbruder

Cable Smoosher
Mar 20, 2020

Amazing. 2,5-3 slots GPU's are becoming the prevalent / common format and that change is really welcome addition so it's possible to use 3 slots GPUs in both positions now?

Hoarst

Efficiency Noob
Apr 15, 2020
It will be possible to have 3 Slots in classical hardware layout and will give support for 240AIO + normal thick fans (25mm) instead of slim ones (17mm) in sandwich layout. Furthermore, I added a small cutout that will let you access a DVI or Displayport port on the second slot if the sandwich layout is used.

Great changes, this improves the usability a lot without giving up a lot in size. When you flip the case you can get a lot of air out of the case with those thicker fans. And i think the cut out doesn't hurt a lot the overall aesthetics, i think cases don't have to look awesome on the backside, I mean all the connected cables hide a lot.

happa

Cable Smoosher
Apr 15, 2020
I'm a fan of the change to make it slightly larger, given how much more compatibility is opened up. Now something like the Accelero III should fit in the traditional layout, right?

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018

Thank you, stay safe
Daniel

This is an excellent change, making both layouts nearly (entirely?) equivalent from the GPU and AIO perspectives. With that symmetry the layout choice now hinges only on preference and aesthetics, unless one prefers to air-cool their CPU.

Well-done, @dondan. Certainly worth the small volume increase IMO.

Be well and safe yourself. Cheers.

Killdoc

Trash Compacter
Mar 25, 2020
Update:

The work on the prototypes is nearly done. The following parts are missing:
• Logo silk screen printing on some panels
• USB-C front I/O cable
• Some Power button sample with different surface finish (sand blasted, circular brushed, linear brushed)
• Case feets

Thank you, stay safe
Daniel
Literally, had to spin my current PC case around to see how it will work for me! The answer is "Awesome!". The I/O slot makes it much more likely that I will not have any issues with meeting my monitors/ VR Headset hookup needs. Thank you, thank you, thank you. It might not be a major issue for others, but it was one of my concerns with this case. Again, thanks.

With regards to the increase in height, I strongly feel that a lot of the questions coming from posters are regarding whether X or Y radiator will fit. Increasing the height and allowing the option of using 25 mm fans can only help open up cooling for all. I just deeply worry as to what @fabio is likely to do with that extra headroom. Be afraid...... ?

• Haha

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
I'll be the contrarian here and say I'm against increasing the volume. 3 slots GPU is already supported in the sandwich layout. 2.75 slots for traditional layout is generous enough. Since I prefer air cooling, thus traditional layout, as the total volume approaches the M1, the less appealing the case becomes for me.

Reactions: Shinken1