DAN C4-SFX

Vaux

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2018
@Vaux: No this is classic layout and a sandwich layout. Furthermore, it is 2.75 Slot for classic layout and 3 Slot for sandwich. Why it is less practical?
There are two advantages of two layouts. 1. More use-cases in one product. 2. Every GPU has a different trend. One generation has a standard height while being thick (2.5+ Slot like RTX 20x0) - this is better for the classical layout. The next generation is higher (like GTX 9x0) - better for sandwich layout.
I think it is a smarter way to have all features of other cases in one product + having new features and this is what the C4-SFX is.
Because of that:
"Graphic cards support: 3 Slot GPU up to 300mm length (only I/O port at the first slot are useable)"

And I'm sorry but no, they're no advantage compared to focus to one single layout, I hardly see someone switch between 240mm AIO sandwich to air cooling all the time. You don't have the best of two world, you have a mediocre classical layout (I will admit it have one advantage compared to the ncase, you can flip it to improve temps without it looking stupid) and a mediocre sandwich layout. And for gpu size, in both case you want the sandwich layout because it's 3 slot with more height tolerance.
The old version was a great sandwich, you had 2.5 slot gpu (and you can make it a little bigger for 3 slot) and a full size 240mm AIO, nobody is offering that compared to the new version where they're already two product that are just better (because they offer either more features, or the same features but smaller).

Also, one advice, you should go for mesh panel like the sidearmd, it allows to breath and to filter dust too, I think that should be the go to for all cases (at least as an option)

Speaking for the M1, I didn't want visible screws on the outside. I assume Dan doesn't either, and likewise most people.
The old version had visible screw/magnet, and it looked great. I'm sure they're plenty of viable and good looking alternative to that system.
But yeah if the case is not long enough that maybe not necessary to change it^^

Reactions: muSashi

Kundahli

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 29, 2017
I would like to add to what newzealot said: the slits as top ventilation seems a bit discontinuous given the holes for ventilation on the sides. Do you suspect there will be a cooling or noise advantage to using the slits vs the holes?

I'm looking forward to renders with different top vent patterns.

aleck

Caliper Novice
Dec 8, 2019
I'm a bit confused about the slits at the top. Are they held by orthogonal rails below..?
It does look different but I would consider these, from design perspective:

- top slits go up to 1cm away from the edges
- side panels have vertical slits which are visually continuation from the top one, plus they are also 1cm away from edges
- maybe add few slits to the front, around the USB-C port, to complete the design and make it unique look

Not sure how feasible this is to manufacture, but I think with that it would have its very own distinct look.

Jeydub

Cable Smoosher
Oct 28, 2018
Will the sandwich layout support dual 120mm radiators like the original concept renders did? I know it supports a 240, does that also translate to dual 120s?

Kevin Maestro

Efficiency Noob
New User
Feb 7, 2020
Wow! That is extremely beautiful! I love the top of the case.

The only thing that bugs me is the position of the power button and the USB-C. Would love to have the option to exclude the front USB-C.

HottestVapes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
I'm liking the look of it a lot, only thing I dislike is the placement of the power button. Everything else looks good to me.

That said though, given it's only a little smaller than the NCase M1 and that it sacrifices a lot of the compatibility the M1 has, it would be a very hard sell on me personally since I'd see no need to switch to it. With that out of the way however, I very much look forward to seeing some great looking builds in it and I wish you all the best with getting this to market.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Based on your comments here are some ideas:

Top panel with slots or vent holes:

Different front I/O concepts:

What do you think?

Kevin Maestro

Efficiency Noob
New User
Feb 7, 2020
I personally like the slot design of the top panel, would even love to have it on the side panel, I was thinking it would look good if the same design just ran down on the side panel, it being continuous.

In terms of the I/O I like option 3 the most (I/O being on the top panel), it's subtle. I would still prefer having the option to opt out of the USB-C.

In terms of looks this is the case that I'm looking to for my next build.

HottestVapes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
The third option looks the best, but there's one downside to it. Invert the case and you can't really access it anymore.

Or would inverting the layout still allow to keep the I/O on the topside of the case?

Groschen

Efficiency Noob
Jul 12, 2019
Hi,

I rather like the top panel with slots. As others already suggested vertical slots on the side panel might also look pretty nice. Are slots on the side panel possible?

Regarding I/O options I am fine with the initial suggestion. I would like an option for a power button with LED ring, maybe as an alternative option sold separately.

I dislike the second render with all those connectors on the top front.

The third option looks pretty clean, but I am not sure about USB on top. I usually connect a portable HDD and those have pretty short cables. With my A4 v1 I have the drive sitting on the table, but with a top connector I would need to put it onto those ventilation slots or holes of the case. Might not be the best idea...

I am looking forward to this going to Kickstarter, while expecting it will take some time yet.

Reactions: teajanky

Kapsi

Trash Compacter
Nov 20, 2018
About the I/O options I think you guys are forgetting about the most minimal version of it. The perfect I/O that comes to my mind is the one seen in the K39 v2.

As you can see is on the back of the case and if you think about it is also really convinient, after all we are talking about an sff case which back is easly accessible due it's small size.

I think @dondan should be more open minded about the design, every time a new case (or concept) appears on the market there is a significant amount of people asking for a version without visible ports and due the accessibility of cloud services the need of USB drives is decreasing (I'm not focusing on cameras or charging your phone because most photographers have dedicated USB dongles and because your phone usually comes with it's own charger).

Lastly, I would like to emphasize that people is willing to pay a premium price not only because they want to cramp as much power as they can inside a small footprint but also because they want to have a good looking desing that fits with the aesthetics of their setup and that comes with a price and what could be better than a consistent one color box? Clear example of this is the Louqe Ghost S1. Ok maybe I'm over exaggerating this point. Anyway, sorry if this reads as a rant this are just my two cents I don't want them to sound aggressive.

Vaux

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2018
As you can see is on the back of the case and if you think about it is also really convinient, after all we are talking about an sff case which back is easly accessible due it's small size.
It depends on how you place you case, I have a node 304 (it's basically the same length), I can't easily access the back of it

Reactions: Sh0ckwaveFlash

dss

Efficiency Noob
Feb 8, 2020
Really excellent design. Flexibility is a big plus for me since I'd like to keep my cases for a long time. Heck I am still using an Ncase v1. I've been tempted many times to downsize to a sandwich style case but there's always been one too many limitations. This however, I can see working out. That said, I would like to see at least 2 2.5" ssd slots and 2 usb ports on the front.

Reactions: muSashi

NIIV3X

Cable Smoosher
Jun 15, 2018
I personally like the slot design of the top panel, would even love to have it on the side panel, I was thinking it would look good if the same design just ran down on the side panel, it being continuous.

In terms of the I/O I like option 3 the most (I/O being on the top panel), it's subtle. I would still prefer having the option to opt out of the USB-C.

In terms of looks this is the case that I'm looking to for my next build.

This.

Why in the next built though? Or do you mean the next render, why not try it on the C4, would look awesome!

Reactions: Kevin Maestro

Kevin Maestro

Efficiency Noob
New User
Feb 7, 2020
This.

Why in the next built though? Or do you mean the next render, why not try it on the C4, would look awesome!

I was referring to, whenever I have to upgrade my PC and build a new one. That the C4 seems like it's my first pick for a case.

Reactions: NIIV3X

Magiko

What's an ITX?
New User
Feb 9, 2020
When do you plan to launch the Kickstarter campaign? ( I'sorry for my English.. ) Thanks!

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@All: A German forum member has also a fourth idea for the I/O:

@Kundahli: Sorry but I am not a fan of having slot holes on the sides. It does look to much industrial.
@Jeydub: Sorry no but it is possible on the classic layout.
@HottestVapes: Rotating is also possible on third option. After rotating it you can mount the top panel again on top.
@Groschen: See my answer for @Kundahli
@Magiko: There will be no Kickstarter. I will directly sell it through my resellers.