DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward Hay

Trash Compacter
Aug 5, 2016
The only one I am aware that could tell us that is DAN.

As the thread title states "CONCEPT" and there is no mention of a next phase, I can speculate it could be some time.
Hahaha, yeah, unfortunately we're all gonna have to be patient.

But good things comes to those who wait ;)

Reactions: Arboreal

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
From what I remember, Dan was hoping to have the C4-SFX available this summer.
At least it gives me time to save up for one :D

Edward Hay

Trash Compacter
Aug 5, 2016
What would the possibility of turning the psu 180° around (cables come out top instead of bottom), and moving it closer to the radiator area, so that it would intake from the same vents as before, but now exhaust to the radiator instead of recycling the air?

Edward Hay

Trash Compacter
Aug 5, 2016
What would the possibility of turning the psu 180° around (cables come out top instead of bottom), and moving it closer to the radiator area, so that it would intake from the same vents as before, but now exhaust to the radiator instead of recycling the air?
Or actually, nevermind that, found the answer a few pages back :p

Last edited:

Crysilus

Caliper Novice
Nov 7, 2017
So I'm curious. Those of you who plan on doing full loops in this case. What is the hardware you are considering? I really want to watercool the gpu and show it off with the TG side panel. So what are your thoughts?

ggee

Minimal Tinkerer
Nov 26, 2017
Hello,

Overall, the design of the case is beautiful. However, I have noticed from the pictures that from a left or right side perspective, only one side of the case is perforated for ventilation. I realize the top and the bottom are ventilated. But only one of the "sides" is ventilated. This is obviously due to the fact that the design of the motherboard placement is such that the back-side of the motherboard is placed against one of those sides (effectively walling off one side from ventilation). This means when the graphics card is placed adjacent to the motherboard, only that one side will have ventilation for the cards fans/blower. Would it not be better for there to be a spine, or frame going across the center of the case. In this way, the back-side of the motherboard can be place against this center spine/frame (with the cpu side facing outward). Therefore the case will have two halves - one for the motherboard, and one for the graphics card. In this way, now both sides can have perforated sides for even more ventilation, in addition to the top and bottom. The best way to describe this is to take a look at only the inside of the Louqe case.

Additionally, from an aesthetics point of view, now the motherboard is viewable from one side, and the graphics card is also viewable from the other side. For gamers, with RGB tastes - the insides are much more viewable. This is especially true if tempered glass sides are used, and ventilation can still be present on each of the sides. This can be possible if the dimensions of the tempered glass is purposely made small than the full dimensions of the side case walls. In other words, the glass is fitted into cut-outs on the side case (rather than a full top-to-bottom glass side). In this way the area around the glass can be perforated. Or the glass can sit on top of spacers so that it does not sit flush against the side case, allowing for an air gap around the whole edge of the glass (acting as ventilation).

Of course, if the whole design and look is so that it does not resemble anything else (like the mentioned Louqe), than I can understand that as well. If that is the case, than why throw a monkey-wrench into things at this point. In any event, I will be following the progress of this case and look forward to seeing it come to production. It is very nice.

Thanks for all you efforts.

omega24

Caliper Novice
Dec 11, 2017
@ggee

If I understand the design correctly, the motherboard faces the GPU to allow the use of a hard riser instead of a flexible riser like on the dancase A4. This orientation also probably allows easier routing of the AIO Cooler tubes, but that's just speculation.

heckinwoofer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 14, 2017
@ggee

If I understand the design correctly, the motherboard faces the GPU to allow the use of a hard riser instead of a flexible riser like on the dancase A4. This orientation also probably allows easier routing of the AIO Cooler tubes, but that's just speculation.
But it also makes accessing CMOS jumpers more difficult.

Crysilus

Caliper Novice
Nov 7, 2017
Hello,

Overall, the design of the case is beautiful. However, I have noticed from the pictures that from a left or right side perspective, only one side of the case is perforated for ventilation. I realize the top and the bottom are ventilated. But only one of the "sides" is ventilated. This is obviously due to the fact that the design of the motherboard placement is such that the back-side of the motherboard is placed against one of those sides (effectively walling off one side from ventilation). This means when the graphics card is placed adjacent to the motherboard, only that one side will have ventilation for the cards fans/blower. Would it not be better for there to be a spine, or frame going across the center of the case. In this way, the back-side of the motherboard can be place against this center spine/frame (with the cpu side facing outward). Therefore the case will have two halves - one for the motherboard, and one for the graphics card. In this way, now both sides can have perforated sides for even more ventilation, in addition to the top and bottom. The best way to describe this is to take a look at only the inside of the Louqe case.

Additionally, from an aesthetics point of view, now the motherboard is viewable from one side, and the graphics card is also viewable from the other side. For gamers, with RGB tastes - the insides are much more viewable. This is especially true if tempered glass sides are used, and ventilation can still be present on each of the sides. This can be possible if the dimensions of the tempered glass is purposely made small than the full dimensions of the side case walls. In other words, the glass is fitted into cut-outs on the side case (rather than a full top-to-bottom glass side). In this way the area around the glass can be perforated. Or the glass can sit on top of spacers so that it does not sit flush against the side case, allowing for an air gap around the whole edge of the glass (acting as ventilation).

Of course, if the whole design and look is so that it does not resemble anything else (like the mentioned Louqe), than I can understand that as well. If that is the case, than why throw a monkey-wrench into things at this point. In any event, I will be following the progress of this case and look forward to seeing it come to production. It is very nice.

Thanks for all you efforts.
Like was pointed out the mobo actually faces the GPU. This is done by design for a couple of reasons, one of which is to use a hard pci-e riser vs the flexible ribbon. This in turn cuts down on costs and manufacturing for the case.

The layout you describe is similar to Dan's first case the A4-SFX. This is his second case design and it is meant to be larger than his first to incorporate AIO's and in general have air flow moving top down which is believed to be sufficient for thermals which will be tested at a later date.

Mallot

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2017
But it also makes accessing CMOS jumpers more difficult.
I'd say it's easier this way, in other cases the GPU and CPU cooler is in the way, so all you can do is try to pull it on/off with your fingers... In my experience it's nearly impossible to do.

heckinwoofer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 14, 2017
I'd say it's easier this way, in other cases the GPU and CPU cooler is in the way, so all you can do is try to pull it on/off with your fingers... In my experience it's nearly impossible to do.
Yeah it will be better than layouts without a riser (like SG13 for example), but I was comparing to ggee's suggestion of both mobo and GPU facing outside (like the Ghost S1)

renecop545

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 2, 2018
Why the air cooling principle of the C4-SFX will be better as the principle of the A4-SFX:

The first thought of many users that take a first look on the layout of the C4-SFX is:

“The CPU cooler will be choke behind the GPU!”

The case is designed around the idea of using two 120mm fans in the bottom area. This means any use-case without case fans in the bottom is not supported. The case fans will generate a continuous airflow between GPU and motherboard. Because of the small size of the C4-SFX the heat exchange will be very fast also on low fan speed. The main advantage of this concept is the fact, that there will be not left hot air inside the case. This is a huge advantage against the A4-SFX. A continuous airflow will reduce M.2 SSD, motherboard components and GPU backside temperature.

For extreme hardware constellations like Hex/Octacore CPU’s and GPU’s like the 1080 Ti the exhaust temperature of these components are very high. For the A4-SFX these components will increase the ambient temperature inside the case, so motherboard components and SSDs become very hot. Inside the C4-SFX the heat will be move out very quick.

Some of you may think:

“The CPU cooler will get a lot of hot air from the backside of the GPU”

The continuous airflow of fresh air inside the case will feed the fan of the PSU and also the fan of the CPU heatsink. A part of this air will also travel the backside of the GPU and will be heated up by it. With airflow the increase will be very low, because the air will pass the GPU backside very quick so there is no chance to warming it up to a level that will be negative for the CPU heatsink. Also hot air that will be generated by the CPU will not be recycled by the CPU fan because the bottom fan sucks it away.

A second interesting option for customers that are planning to use big heatsink’s like the Cryorig C1 or Thermalright AXP200 is the SEMI-PASSIV cooling mode. If you mount the heatsink without the included fan and rotate it in this way that fresh air from the topside can easily pass through the heatsink it will work. Connect the bottom case fans with a Y-cable to the CPU fan port of your motherboard so it will act like CPU fans. Now they will spin faster if the CPU temperature will be higher and sucking more air through the heatsink. This will allow much bigger heatsinks and will be in interesting alternative to water cooling setups.

The cooling concept is very similar to a rack mounted server with the advantage of using bigger case fans for lower noise.

I hope this drawing made it clear:

Summary:
  • no left hot air inside the case
  • no recycled hot air for the CPU heatsink
  • CPU heatsink will be inside a cooling tunnel so a semi-passive mode is possible
  • much better temperature for motherboard components, backside of the GPU and M.2 SSD

Feel free to ask questions if something is not clear.

Ok I found the post. It looks as though the case is designed only for fans mounted on the bottom, which confuses me since I think Dan said in the opening post that the C4 can be flipped. In that case, wouldn't the fans be switched to top exhaust? That might work for water cooling, but how would that impact air cooling since it looks like there's not as much space for the bottom air intake in that case?

Status
Not open for further replies.