DAN A4-SFX v4.1

evertec

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 26, 2021
Here is a preview of the A4-SFX gpu_bracket to install bigger GPUs without the side panel. I do not have a 3D printer so maybe someone can test it?

-Just clip in the Slot distance part
-Remove the riser stand offs
- Screw in the right side riser holder with one of the old riser screws
- shift the left side riser holder on the riser itself
- move the riser inside the right holder
- Screw in the left side riser holder with one of the old riser screws
- Use the GPU slot cover to press in the GPU.

Download: https://dan-cases.com/downloads/gpu_bracket.STL

Thanks for the stl file. I printed it out, and the clips for the riser work well, but the slot spacer I had to cut off the tabs on the top in order to get them in. Not sure if there's another material that would flex more, but PLA doesn't flex nearly enough to get the tabs in.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Thanks for the stl file. I printed it out, and the clips for the riser work well, but the slot spacer I had to cut off the tabs on the top in order to get them in. Not sure if there's another material that would flex more, but PLA doesn't flex nearly enough to get the tabs in.

I changed the slot spacer can someone test it if it will now fit?

Download: https://dan-cases.com/downloads/gpu_bracket.STL

swooby

Caliper Novice
Mar 2, 2021
I have two A4 cases, v1 (SN 00392) and v2 (SN 02330), that are both Intel installs (i7-6700K and i7-7700K).
The i7-6700K build will turn 5 years old this year and I am itching to update it soon to a recent AMD Ryzen CPU.

Both cases have RTX 3080 w/ 10mm standoffs and bottom mounted NF-A9x14 fans sucking cool air from the outside and blowing it over the GPU rear and PSU (the cases are suspended under a desk with good airflow on all sides...best on the bottom).

Because of the GPU airflow setup, I am thinking that a simple air-cooled CPU would be best, mostly because putting an AIO where the NF-A9x14 is will probably make the overall case hotter and harder on the much more expensive and harder to replace GPU.

I've quickly scanned this thread for mentions about Ryzen and haven't found anything both recent and obvious about the highest end air-cooled Ryzen thermals that the A4 can accommodate.

Any suggestions on the current/mid-2021 highest end safely air-cooled AMD Ryzen CPU + motherboard + fan combo in an RTX 3080 w/ SF750 PSU setup?

I take it there is no way that a Ryzen 9 5950X under high load can be air-cooled in this case! :)

Thanks!

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020
I have two A4 cases, v1 (SN 00392) and v2 (SN 02330), that are both Intel installs (i7-6700K and i7-7700K).
The i7-6700K build will turn 5 years old this year and I am itching to update it soon to a recent AMD Ryzen CPU.

Both cases have RTX 3080 w/ 10mm standoffs and bottom mounted NF-A9x14 fans sucking cool air from the outside and blowing it over the GPU rear and PSU (the cases are suspended under a desk with good airflow on all sides...best on the bottom).

Because of the GPU airflow setup, I am thinking that a simple air-cooled CPU would be best, mostly because putting an AIO where the NF-A9x14 is will probably make the overall case hotter and harder on the much more expensive and harder to replace GPU.

I've quickly scanned this thread for mentions about Ryzen and haven't found anything both recent and obvious about the highest end air-cooled Ryzen thermals that the A4 can accommodate.

Any suggestions on the current/mid-2021 highest end safely air-cooled AMD Ryzen CPU + motherboard + fan combo in an RTX 3080 w/ SF750 PSU setup?

I take it there is no way that a Ryzen 9 5950X under high load can be air-cooled in this case! :)

Thanks!

Eco mode makes anything possible! The question is how much performance you’re ok losing

swooby

Caliper Novice
Mar 2, 2021
Eco mode makes anything possible! The question is how much performance you’re ok losing

Enough to justify the cost of the hardware.
If one has to cripple a R9 5950X to be the performance of a R7 3700X, then they might as well have just bought a 3700X.

I'm new to AMD hardware, so specific proper "Eco Mode" features and heck even the model numbers and chipsets are new to me.

I am sure I can downtune/underclock, and sure I don't want to run at the redline thermal limit from day one and would like a **little** headroom in my hardware if I do want to boost it a tiny bit in the future, but I'd rather focus on the more practical empirical TDP limit of what can reasonably run near the air-cooled limits of the A4SFX case as designed and not attempt to throw a Lambo in it and run it like a Yugo.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@swooby: Here is a german site that tested it: https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Verm...vs-3900X-vs-10900K-5950X-Benchmark-1360653/2/

All test was done 720p where the CPU impact is higher. So if you play in 1080p, 1440p or 2160p the performance lost is even lower.

Here are also some application benchmarks: https://www.computerbase.de/2020-11/amd-ryzen-5000-test/5/#abschnitt_multicoreszenarien

There are two ways to activate the "Eco Mode (TDP 65W)".

1. Ryzen Master Software
2. UEFI - Search for ECO-Mode or PPT (Power Plan Tracking)

With PPT you can change the TDP to a level you like. Keep in mind this value isn't 1:1. The factor is 1:1,35 so if you like to have a 45W CPU you have to setup the value 45*1,35 = 61

PS: For Heatsink get one of these:
- Noctua L9a with fan duct (3D Print files from dan-cases.com FAQ)
- Thermalright AXP90 copper with Noctua A9x15
- Black Ridge with Noctua A12x15 an VLP RAM

With best regards
Daniel Hansen

• Love
Reactions: PantherB and swooby

ZTylerDurden

Trash Compacter
May 31, 2020
RTX 3080 compatibility list:

too bad that there are so many cards more that Dual-Slot. So there are only a few cards that will fit:

CardA4-SFX
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080not fit
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 OCnot fit
ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3080not fit
ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 OCnot fit
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 Gamingnot fit
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gamingnot fit
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Black Gamingfit
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Gamingfit
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra Gamingfit
Gainward GeForce RTX 3080 Phoenixnot fit
Gainward GeForce RTX 3080 Phoenix GSnot fit
Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 3080 Masternot fit
Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 3080 Xtremenot fit
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 Eagle OCnot fit
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 Gaming OCnot fit
INNO3D GeForce RTX 3080 iCHILL X3not fit
INNO3D GeForce RTX 3080 iCHILL X4not fit
INNO3D GeForce RTX 3080 Twin X2 OCnot fit
MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Gaming Trionot fit
MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Gaming X Trionot fit
MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3Xnot fit
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Editionfit(rotate PSU)
Palit GeForce RTX 3080 GamingPronot fit
Palit GeForce RTX 3080 GamingPro OCnot fit
PNY GeForce RTX 3080 OC XLR8 Gamingnot fit
PNY GeForce RTX 3080 OC XLR8 Gaming Epic-Xnot fit
Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Trinitynot fit
Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've checked up here. I've got a V2 dan case and wanted to confirm this list is still up to date? Thanks!!

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
You can add Gigabye and Asus RTX 3080 Turbo cards.
If the 3080 Ti is also an option than this card could be a very good option INNO3D GeForce RTX 3080 Ti X3

Kapsi

Trash Compacter
Nov 20, 2018
Hi, custom cables question: The A4-SFX FAQ says:

"The optimal cable lengths depend on your motherboard!

Here are some example lengths that will work on many boards:

ATX 24pin cable - 160 mm
EPS 8pin/2x4pin cable - 240 mm
GPU 6+2pin cable - 210 mm
SATA 5pin cable - 150 mm"

Anyone who has made their own cables or ordered them from a vendor, could tell me if the cable measurements are End to End (Including the connectors) or if they are just the measurements that the cable should have, without taking into account the size of connectors?

In advance, thank you very much :)

mangusid

Cable Smoosher
Jul 1, 2020
If the 3080 Ti is also an option than this card could be a very good option INNO3D GeForce RTX 3080 Ti X3
According to this
It's 300mm in lenght so It won't fit A4 I suppose

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
The maximum internal size is 303mm. Maybe it requires to unscrew the connection between top and front to get some milimeters for moving it inside.
The 295mm from my website is for easy installation.

Reactions: mangusid

swooby

Caliper Novice
Mar 2, 2021
Hi, custom cables question: The A4-SFX FAQ says:

"The optimal cable lengths depend on your motherboard!

Here are some example lengths that will work on many boards:

ATX 24pin cable - 160 mm
EPS 8pin/2x4pin cable - 240 mm
GPU 6+2pin cable - 210 mm
SATA 5pin cable - 150 mm"

Anyone who has made their own cables or ordered them from a vendor, could tell me if the cable measurements are End to End (Including the connectors) or if they are just the measurements that the cable should have, without taking into account the size of connectors?

In advance, thank you very much :)
They are measured end-to-end.

Correction: I received my CableMod order and can confirm CableMod measures terminal inside-to-inside, not terminal end-to-end.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Kapsi

hengster

Caliper Novice
Jan 4, 2020
The maximum internal size is 303mm. Maybe it requires to unscrew the connection between top and front to get some milimeters for moving it inside.
The 295mm from my website is for easy installation.
confirming the Inno3D 3070 Ti/ 3080 Ti X3 fits (same cooler for either card, I have the 3070 Ti), see picture of my setup here:

additional pics of it in operation with fans spinning and no issue, still a 1-2mm gap remains after squeezing in all that GPU. other side of the rig too to complete it.

Last edited: