DAN A4-SFX v4.1

peacecraft_M

Trash Compacter
May 30, 2019
Question about A4 v4 Black

Starting to see some wear and tear on the side panels. on the sides and on the inner sides of the holes. I imagine its that black coat wearing down.

• Is there anything outside of painting myself that can be done?
  • Does dondan do spares or replacement parts on request?

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Hey everyone, I have a question about the 3M pci riser and the Dan folks seem like a good bet to ask it to. The shielding of the riser appears to be made of metal and is conductive. Are both the motherboard and GPU isolated from the riser to prevent the riser from shorting anything? Or am I mistaking and is the riser non conductive?

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@robbee
The shield is none conductive. There is a thin transparent none conductive layer around the aluminum shield.

@peacecraft_M
The side panels are anodized. While painting adds a new layer anodized converts the outer layer of the material itself. The advantage of anodizing is that it is more scratch resistant than painting. If you handle the case with care and follow the "advice" section in the manual it is hard to get wear and tear marks on the outer panel.

- transport the case with care
- don't touch the case with sweaty fingers (the acid in sweat can burn in finger prints)
- remove finger prints
- don't use too much force on screws (you can sand down anodize layer, strap the paint of the screw and destroy screw thread)
- In Germany we say "Nach fest kommt ab" --> "tight is followed by broke"

Solution: A good trick for covering marks is paint pen/paint stick.
RMA: If your case does come with marks I will replace these parts. Every self-inflicted mark is not covered by the warranty. DAN Cases does not sell spare parts.

Last edited:

bakes0310

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 7, 2021
Whats the best air cooler you can fit in this case that doesnt compromise memory size?
Whats the biggest amd card that can fit in this card, is it a 6800 reference?

D90

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2017
v5 is on hold I am working on the new special side panels.

Dan is it a bit too early for any type of eta on these side panels? Even vagueness like Q4 this year or 2022...?

Reactions: CaveCanem

SiKiaTriK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 28, 2019
you think i'll need to cut the frame?
keep the side panel off wouldn't be such a problem, i hope i woont need to cut chassis
It will be fine in terms of total lenght, don't worry. It was just to make the joke with the song 😉 The panel will be gone, for sure, unless you print a suitable spacer to acomodate the 2.5 slots.

friendscatdied

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2017
Oof, these riser cables aren't too durable I guess. Had my setup for a little under a year now and took my mobo off to upgrade the wifi module, put it back and got no picture on monitor after that. Setup works fine with GPU directly in the mobo PCIe slot so broke the riser cable just by disconnecting/reconnecting the cable once after the initial setup a year ago. Help me @dondan ! :(:)
This happened to me as well -- twice! dondan graciously sent me a new riser cable the first time when the case was less than a week old, but I had the very same symptoms crop up with the replacement riser cable at right around during the 2 year mark during a recent GPU replacement.

I think it's partially due to tight tolerances within the case and expansion/contraction of components from thermal cycles (as the riser cable would work 80% of the time), but also likely partially due to my being not-very-gentle with my GPU insertion/removal. :) I guess even with ADT risers it's best to be a bit more careful.

SiKiaTriK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 28, 2019
You do need to cut part of the aluminium lip of the chassis right next to the pcie slot because it hits the 6800 XT shroud unfortunately.
Now I see what you pointed... I really hoped for OP that the only limitation was in terms of total length but the thickness makes it indeed incompatible, unless you take some inspiring action like @Valantar poetically suggested 😉 I'm sorry @mattxx88, it started as a joke but it has become sadly real 😟

Last edited:

mattxx88

Chassis Packer
Apr 7, 2020
Now I see what you pointed... I really hoped for OP that the only limitation was in terms of total length but the thickness makes it indeed incompatible, unless you take some inspiring action like @Valantar poetically suggested 😉 I'm sorry @mattxx88, it started as a joke but it has become sadly real 😟

yep, i meant that.

Anyway with some ghetto mod i got it 😍😍

edit: now i only need that Dan give me a top cover BLACK for free as gift 😆😆

Last edited: