DAN A4-SFX v4.1

yj668

Chassis Packer
Aug 13, 2019
Custom BIOS P4.20A for Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac requested from ASRock TSD with IA AC DC Loadline exposed.
Use at your own risk :)
I've just requested from ASRock TSD for a custom BIOS based on the latest build for ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac. Just a courteosy share for ASRock PGIX Z390 users before the file linked expires.

4.42A

• Based on P4.40?
  • AC / DC Loadline Unlocked (For use with offset/adaptive vcore by influencing VID) as with 4.20A I requested
  • Above 4G Decoding - > Resizable BAR (C.A.M. Clever Access Memory) for RDNA2 and RTX 3000

Last edited:
Reactions: Nichronos

swooby

Caliper Novice
Mar 2, 2021
I have a silver A4-SFX v.1 (SN 392) and black v.2 (SN 2330).
What RTX 30xx series can fit in these versions?
I am aware of @dondan's post https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/dan-a4-sfx.252/page-176#post-218290 and several others, but I am unclear if:
  1. The [5mm M3] riser trick be used in v1 and v2 to hold a thicker card and improve interior air flow behind it
    ex: https://dan-cases.com/downloads/a4sfx_rtx30x0guide1.0.pdf
  2. The maximum depth is any lesser for v1 and v2 than newer gen 300mm
I don't have a 3rd case to tinker with and thought I would ask here and possibly avoid having to take mine offline and tinker with them.

I am just starting my journey in updating what I can fit in these cases, most likely air-cooled, but inspired by some smaller cramped AIO, and am in no immediate rush, especially considering the poor availability of GTX/RTX GPUs nowadays.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Just get some 5mm or 10mm M3 stand offs from a local supplier or amazon an you can use this mod on the v1 or v2.

swooby

Caliper Novice
Mar 2, 2021
Just get some 5mm or 10mm M3 stand offs from a local supplier or amazon an you can use this mod on the v1 or v2.
Thanks! I've got tons of them already! The hardest part will be just obtaining two GPUs (one for each case) reasonably close to MSRP.

I am still confused on the specified supported GPU size though.
The A4 spec page (https://www.dan-cases.com/dana4_spec.html) says:
Dual-Slot up to 300 mm length

I am leaning toward a NVIDIA RTX FE 3060TI, 3070, or 3080, or a EVGA 3060TI XC (all confirmed to be "2 slots" and under 300mm).

You say in https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/dan-a4-sfx.252/page-176#post-218290 (example EVGA slots directly from their site)

EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 Gaming2.75 slotsnot fit
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming2.75 slotsnot fit
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Black Gaming2.2 slotsfit
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Gaming2.2 slotsfit
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming2.2 slotsfit

So 2.2 slots GPUs do fit?
Are there any caveats, such as the 5mm spacer absolutely required or just recommended?
Should the A4 Spec page be updated?
Is it reasonable to presume a 286mm 2.2 slot EVGA 3060 TI FTW3 *might* fit?

A EVGA 3090 XC3 is identical dimensions of 3080 XC3: Anyone thrown a 3090 XC3 in an A4? How is thermal performance?

Thanks!

swooby

Caliper Novice
Mar 2, 2021
Not enough cred to edit my post.
I do see Dan explaining the 2.2 slot size here:

peacecraft_M

Trash Compacter
May 30, 2019
So does anyone here have the new Full Black AXP-90 yet? I just ordered mine.

I saw the copper as of the best coolers for the Dan and then I remember when I had my C7 and all the adapters for the fan mounting and it got me thinking.

Could AXP-90 with a 120mm mount be the best air cooling option?

Last edited:

Saren

Case Bender
New User
Mar 8, 2021
Thanks! I've got tons of them already! The hardest part will be just obtaining two GPUs (one for each case) reasonably close to MSRP.

I am still confused on the specified supported GPU size though.
The A4 spec page (https://www.dan-cases.com/dana4_spec.html) says:

I am leaning toward a NVIDIA RTX FE 3060TI, 3070, or 3080, or a EVGA 3060TI XC (all confirmed to be "2 slots" and under 300mm).

You say in https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/dan-a4-sfx.252/page-176#post-218290 (example EVGA slots directly from their site)

EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 Gaming2.75 slotsnot fit
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming2.75 slotsnot fit
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Black Gaming2.2 slotsfit
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Gaming2.2 slotsfit
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming2.2 slotsfit

So 2.2 slots GPUs do fit?
Are there any caveats, such as the 5mm spacer absolutely required or just recommended?
Should the A4 Spec page be updated?
Is it reasonable to presume a 286mm 2.2 slot EVGA 3060 TI FTW3 *might* fit?

A EVGA 3090 XC3 is identical dimensions of 3080 XC3: Anyone thrown a 3090 XC3 in an A4? How is thermal performance?

Thanks!
Yep:

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
A AXP-90 with a 120mm without a fan duct will perform worse because the air will mostly go around the heatsink and not through it.

Reactions: peacecraft_M

Pancake

Chassis Packer
Mar 14, 2021
Request A4-SFX v5?:

I am currently in the process of ordering the next batch of A4-SFX. I have the idea to make the case 5mm more wide to support 2.5 Slot GPUs. With this change all new AMD cards will fit.

The volume will be increase from 7.2L to 7.6L.

What do you think?

Hello. How's this request going? Still there?
Since the width is increased by 5mm, how about also increasing the height by 5mm to accommodate a 9014 on top of the mobo? (which I presume would drastically improve the airflow

peacecraft_M

Trash Compacter
May 30, 2019
A AXP-90 with a 120mm without a fan duct will perform worse because the air will mostly go around the heatsink and not through it.
Makes sense, I just got mine and installed today.

AXP-90 Thoughts:
Used included Fan but was pretty loud, then swapped to L9a fan, and realized its turbulence. Actually considering getting a going back to L9A + duct unless there is a non-intrusive way to dampen / get rid of the turbulence.

I like the higher TDP rating for the AXP-90 as a "future proof" but I am only running a Ryzen 3600 and probably will be with it for a 2-3years. Having coverage for the potential next level up would be nice(even though I know the 5600 has the same rating)

Does anyone have an idea of how much more "TDP" the L9A+fan duct gets me? Like could I throw a 5800x in and be safe?(I have only had 65w CPUs) Mostly gaming but I do like to push 1440p at 154hz etc.

thanks,

SiKiaTriK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 28, 2019
I recall this topic being discused but I don't know if we had come into a conclusion or maybe some adjustments had been made into the concept.

This feature will be based on:

1- A simple spacer that can be bolt or attached into the original clips both case's and panel's (cheap)
2- Spacer + Aluminum specific side pannels replacing the original ones (expensive)

Reactions: Bonusround

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
I recall this topic being discused but I don't know if we had come into a conclusion or maybe some adjustments had been made into the concept.

This feature will be based on:

1- A simple spacer that can be bolt or attached into the original clips both case's and panel's (cheap)
2- Spacer + Aluminum specific side pannels replacing the original ones (expensive)
Based on the graphic (especially the first, showing frontal view), the side panels themselves became smaller in height and no longer cover the top and bottom of the case without the spacers - this indicates that the spacers will only work with new panels.
Oh, I presume this is only for taller gpu's, so it won't increase the clearance for the 120mm AIO bracket to use 25mm fans instead of the usual 15mm am I right? (I know it is super niche...)

SiKiaTriK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 28, 2019
Based on the graphic (especially the first, showing frontal view), the side panels themselves became smaller in height and no longer cover the top and bottom of the case without the spacers - this indicates that the spacers will only work with new panels.
Oh, I presume this is only for taller gpu's, so it won't increase the clearance for the 120mm AIO bracket to use 25mm fans instead of the usual 15mm am I right? (I know it is super niche...)
As you point, they appear smaller indeed but I was wondering if it is an absolutely requirement due to structural limitations like the side panel clip overlapping with the spacer's clip going into the case or something similar.
I point on that direction because there are 3d printed spacers already wich use the original panels and maybe it could follow that way with better materials or so.
Otherwise, if the reason is mainly aestetical to get that nice concave curve it could be an unnecesary cost that cripples the selling of the kit. 🤷‍♂️

Regarding the 120mm AIO clearance, I could be wrong but the smaller the panel the smaller the chance of having the needed height space "inside" the spacer so it would be also beneficial on that matter.

Reactions: Bonusround

lvnder

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 31, 2020
Makes sense, I just got mine and installed today.

AXP-90 Thoughts:
Used included Fan but was pretty loud, then swapped to L9a fan, and realized its turbulence. Actually considering getting a going back to L9A + duct unless there is a non-intrusive way to dampen / get rid of the turbulence.

I like the higher TDP rating for the AXP-90 as a "future proof" but I am only running a Ryzen 3600 and probably will be with it for a 2-3years. Having coverage for the potential next level up would be nice(even though I know the 5600 has the same rating)

Does anyone have an idea of how much more "TDP" the L9A+fan duct gets me? Like could I throw a 5800x in and be safe?(I have only had 65w CPUs) Mostly gaming but I do like to push 1440p at 154hz etc.

thanks,
I currently have the AXP-90 cooling a 5600X and its great. I too was annoyed at the turbulence until I tried placing a mesh filter in between the fan and the case which pretty much eliminated the noise.

The trick is to find the right mesh type for the filter - if the mesh pattern is too close together the fan won't get any fresh air to it, and if its too far apart then turbulence will again introduce itself (but hopefully in a quieter way). What I did was I cannibalised filters from old Corsair and CoolerMaster cases and tested each one until I was happy with the sound and the temps. I have not tried the Demciflex filters yet so I cannot speak on their effectiveness, but they do look like a cleaner solution as right now my filter is held down only with tape (which I don't mind at all since it's on the inside of the chassis).

peacecraft_M

Trash Compacter
May 30, 2019
The trick is to find the right mesh type for the filter - if the mesh pattern is too close together the fan won't get any fresh air to it, and if its too far apart then turbulence will again introduce itself (but hopefully in a quieter way). What I did was I cannibalised filters from old Corsair and CoolerMaster cases and tested each one until I was happy with the sound and the temps. I have not tried the Demciflex filters yet so I cannot speak on their effectiveness, but they do look like a cleaner solution as right now my filter is held down only with tape (which I don't mind at all since it's on the inside of the chassis).
This is great information. I just ordered a black ridge last night from overclockers.uk I think in the meantime I want to try this. Is there a particular demciflex I should be looking for?

UPDATE:
Apparently I have an address that’s easy to ship to. Overclockers.uk BR order is out for delivery already. That’s faster than some shippers here in the states. I think I will forgo my experiments with the axp-90 and just keep it for now as part of the collection. Still a fine cooler but I think it’s hard to go wrong with a BR in this case. Gonna run the L9A on it and see about possible RAM heatsink removable if I get bored.

Last edited:

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
Since my original post, I decided to try this with the inverted psu after all. Gained about 4-5 degrees, so nothing substantial, but it's welcome - guess having it facing outwards is not bad either if one can have 7mm clearance between the rad and the psu. This way it does have a cleaner look however.

Re-routed the cpu power cable too so it runs under the mobo.

Reactions: gffermari