DAN A4-SFX v4.1

Tashi

Trash Compacter
Jun 15, 2019
According to OptimumTech undervolting his 3080 got it down to only using 265W, which is a huge reduction in power. For ITX systems helps with PSU thermals as well, especially if you have a 600W unit.

Reactions: unknownexception

darknoise

Caliper Novice
Sep 28, 2020
I personally haven't needed to. I'll let you know if I do though. Black Ridge with 92x15 Noctua.

Alright, but as @Tashi mentioned it‘s possible to lower the power consumption a lot and therefore the heat of the GPU. This also reduces the noise due to the lower fan speed on the graphics card.

Here is a good guide for undervolting:

Maybe you could give it a try and post your GPU thermals again. Would be great to see the difference.

archagon

Average Stuffer
Aug 17, 2020
I'm new to some of this stuff, could somebody explain to me why undervolting works? Like, do manufacturers give their cards more voltage than needed for some reason? Why would they do that? (I assume they'd want their cards to run as cool as possible.)

@dondan Any idea when Overclockers is going to restock? Still haven't seen any movement over there...

Reactions: jason.jensen

Tashi

Trash Compacter
Jun 15, 2019
I'm new to some of this stuff, could somebody explain to me why undervolting works? Like, do manufacturers give their cards more voltage than needed for some reason? Why would they do that? (I assume they'd want their cards to run as cool as possible.)

@dondan Any idea when Overclockers is going to restock? Still haven't seen any movement over there...
It's because of chip quality. Not all chips can achieve the same clocks at the same voltages. That's why the BIOS has a voltage/frequency curve that is going to work on all chips, including the worst ones. How far down you can underclock is dependent on how lucky you are at getting a better chip. However, the huge reduction in power OptimumTech showed, from 320w to 265w is massive and unprecedented so I don't know what's going on there.

Reactions: archagon

darknoise

Caliper Novice
Sep 28, 2020
It's because of chip quality. Not all chips can achieve the same clocks at the same voltages. That's why the BIOS has a voltage/frequency curve that is going to work on all chips, including the worst ones. How far down you can underclock is dependent on how lucky you are at getting a better chip. However, the huge reduction in power OptimumTech showed, from 320w to 265w is massive and unprecedented so I don't know what's going on there.

In the video I’ve posted from wccftech, they are also able to decrease power consumption of a RTX 3080 FE from 310W to 201W (-35%). Have a look at the corresponding article:

Last edited:

mangusid

Cable Smoosher
Jul 1, 2020
Recently got mine brand new v4.1. The front panel was in minor scratches and a sticker with a case number was applied to the power plug hole.
It seems guys on Lian Li factory was in hurry.
Apart fron this everything is great and I was really surprised how small it is. No pictures and vids could give you real imagination of it's size

Last edited:

thomaddox4

Chassis Packer
Sep 21, 2020
How long do RMA responses usually take? I totally get that Dan is busy, but it's been over a week now. I'd just like to know how to proceed.

Last edited: