I need som advice my Dan friends,

I`ve currently have this setup in my DAN v4.1:
- MSI Asus 2080 RTX
- i7 9700
- 32 GB LPX
- Asetek 645lt
- 1TB SSD
- 600w

Im considering selling it to build a new PC with the new AMD CPU`s and 3080 in the upcoming months. I got an offer for 1700$ for the whole rig now, which i think will drop a lot the upcomming months if i dont sell.

I also got an offer of 400$ for my GPU, if i do this option i just have to get my hands on a 3070 or 3080 that fit the Dan when it is released.

Should i with this rig:
A) Do nothing, chill, maybe wait for next generation in 2021. Because i can play with 120 FPS in Cod warzone no problem now. What more will i get by upgrading, and adding 1000$ to get new part?
B) Just sell the GPU and upgrade that, all the other parts are fine for a while
C) Sell the damn thing, 1700$ is a good price for this setup, then maybe build with another case that is suitable for the founders edition?

Problem if i do A; value of my PC will go down hard to maybe 1k max. so it will be a bigger money spend to upgrade next year
Problem with B; i dont know how long i will be without a GPU for, when will the suitable card be available to purchase? October? later? (in Norway)
Problem with C; I love my Dan, its like selling my puppy :( And i will be without a PC for several months at best. There is no cases that i want i can get a hold of right now.( All the SFF cases are sold out or not available in norway) Plus it with cost me at least 1 000$ more to upgrade, is it worth it?

scishock

Cable Smoosher
Sep 3, 2020

- MSI Asus 2080 RTX
- i7 9700
- 32 GB LPX
- Asetek 645lt
- 1TB SSD
- 600w

Im considering selling it to build a new PC with the new AMD CPU`s and 3080 in the upcoming months. I got an offer for 1700$ for the whole rig now, which i think will drop a lot the upcomming months if i dont sell.

I also got an offer of 400$ for my GPU, if i do this option i just have to get my hands on a 3070 or 3080 that fit the Dan when it is released.

Should i with this rig:
A) Do nothing, chill, maybe wait for next generation in 2021. Because i can play with 120 FPS in Cod warzone no problem now. What more will i get by upgrading, and adding 1000$ to get new part?
C) Sell the damn thing, 1700$ is a good price for this setup, then maybe build with another case that is suitable for the founders edition?

Problem if i do A; value of my PC will go down hard to maybe 1k max. so it will be a bigger money spend to upgrade next year
Problem with B; i dont know how long i will be without a GPU for, when will the suitable card be available to purchase? October? later? (in Norway)
Problem with C; I love my Dan, its like selling my puppy :( And i will be without a PC for several months at best. There is no cases that i want i can get a hold of right now.( All the SFF cases are sold out or not available in norway) Plus it with cost me at least 1 000$ more to upgrade, is it worth it?

B. You're in Norway, go hike or something for a month.

• Haha
Reactions: Kozi and conmanique

Kozi

Caliper Novice
Jun 13, 2019
RTX 3080 compatibility list:

too bad that there are so many cards more that Dual-Slot. So there are only a few cards that will fit:

CardA4-SFX
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080not fit
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 OCnot fit
ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3080not fit
ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 OCnot fit
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 Gamingnot fit
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gamingnot fit
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Black Gamingfit
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Gamingfit
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra Gamingfit
Gainward GeForce RTX 3080 Phoenixnot fit
Gainward GeForce RTX 3080 Phoenix GSnot fit
Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 3080 Masternot fit
Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 3080 Xtremenot fit
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 Eagle OCnot fit
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 Gaming OCnot fit
INNO3D GeForce RTX 3080 iCHILL X3not fit
INNO3D GeForce RTX 3080 iCHILL X4not fit
INNO3D GeForce RTX 3080 Twin X2 OCnot fit
MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Gaming Trionot fit
MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Gaming X Trionot fit
MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3Xnot fit
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Editionfit(rotate PSU)
Palit GeForce RTX 3080 GamingPronot fit
Palit GeForce RTX 3080 GamingPro OCnot fit
PNY GeForce RTX 3080 OC XLR8 Gamingnot fit
PNY GeForce RTX 3080 OC XLR8 Gaming Epic-Xnot fit
Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Trinitynot fit
Dan, will EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 fit too? looks like all XC3 are the same size.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018

- MSI Asus 2080 RTX
- i7 9700
- 32 GB LPX
- Asetek 645lt
- 1TB SSD
- 600w

Should i with this rig:

if I were you I would chill for a couple of years at least, unless you want to push 4k 144hz right now.

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018

- MSI Asus 2080 RTX
- i7 9700
- 32 GB LPX
- Asetek 645lt
- 1TB SSD
- 600w

Should i with this rig:

Upgrade the GPU only. If your primary need for performance is gaming then GPU upgrades are the best bang-for-buck. Unless your SSD is slow don't touch anything else. The rest of your system looks fine for now.

If you can or care, wait for the new Radeon cards and benchmarks.

Joche87

Chassis Packer
Mar 22, 2020
Will the Evga 3080 XC3 be available same time AS founders edition or later? If so how much later. Suck to be with out a usable pc for many weeks.. if I sell now

Jawbreaker

Chassis Packer
Sep 10, 2020
Upgrade the GPU only. If your primary need for performance is gaming then GPU upgrades are the best bang-for-buck. Unless your SSD is slow don't touch anything else. The rest of your system looks fine for now.

If you can or care, wait for the new Radeon cards and benchmarks.
Don't forget the PSU. He'll need 750W if he wants to jump on the 3080 bandwagon. SF750 is hard to come by right now, unless you're willing to pay $100 more than MSRP.

This site has it on preorder for $186, I placed my order today. Hoping I get one.

vermadas

Case Bender
New User
Sep 14, 2020
Anyone else who is planning on grabbing the 3080 XC3 worried about thermals? Looks like the underside of the card has vents, where, like the FE, it may expect to push some of the hot air through. Probably not going to know what to expect until we get some hands-on.

Don't forget the PSU. He'll need 750W if he wants to jump on the 3080 bandwagon. SF750 is hard to come by right now, unless you're willing to pay $100 more than MSRP.

Despite nvidia's recommendations, as long as it's a quality PSU like the SF600 Gold or Platinum, 600W will be fine.

Jawbreaker

Chassis Packer
Sep 10, 2020
Despite nvidia's recommendations, as long as it's a quality PSU like the SF600 Gold or Platinum, 600W will be fine.
I'm inclined to believe you, but what's your source or experience with that? I've ordered a SF750 already, but it will arrive past the launch date for the 3080, I wouldn't mind installing it early.

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
Whatever you do, DON'T go with selling your GPU only. 400 USD is laughable offer for a 2080 that is on par with the 3070 in performance. I mean that would translate to you selling something that's kinda like the 3070, but with tried and tested compatibility, possibly better thermals and lower power usage for 400 USD. Because of this, having a 2080 might be the better deal if it's cheaper than a 3070 FE in my opinion when you have a Dan-A4, because it's more compatible. Your 2080 is ALL GOOD. 120 fps in Warzone, you're good to go for years. And also if you're without a gpu you still can't use the computer, it's the same as selling it alltogether.

So either sell it completely or better yet, keep it (especially if you're fond of it) and just use it, that build is the current TOP tier for christ sakes. You're set! Just recently built your rig I presume, take time to enjoy it. Also, my main reason for anyone with a 2070 or 2080 to not upgrade is that you can't even justify the difference in perofmance with the current games. Warzone as you said, will run above 100 fps with both gen, so why buy anything now that will only matter much later? The games where you could acutally see what difference the ampere cards make are not here yet, they're yet to come, right now these gpu's don't matter and just degrade with time. The games when they will become relevant with will only arrive later and by then, maybe these 3000 cards will be cheaper.

So just lay back and let the consumer fanatics ahead, give it time for the amprere-craze to wear down and when the purple dust settled and the competition (big navi) arrived, we'll see how things are. Who knows, maybe we will find a more DAN-A4 friendly ampere card by then. OR: with a 2080 you can also skip the whole ampere line alltoghether and wait for the upcoming gen. I don't see the reason to upgrade gpu or cpu for just a single gen anyway. There's literally no point. So my vote: KEEP IT.

Last edited:

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
400 USD is laughable offer for a 2080 that is on par with the 3070 in performance.

May I ask where did you get this information from? Since there are no reviews out yet and all the information we have so far is from the announcement from Nvidia. Which they clearly stated that a 3070 will be faster than a 2080 Ti, which is faster than a 2080 and even faster than the 2080 Super.

So a 2080 is not on par with a 3070. A 3070, as far as we know, is faster than a 2080 Ti.

Which you can see in this picture from the announcement:

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
May I ask where did you get this information from? Since there are no reviews out yet and all the information we have so far is from the announcement from Nvidia. Which they clearly stated that a 3070 will be faster than a 2080 Ti, which is faster than a 2080 and even faster than the 2080 Super.

So a 2080 is not on par with a 3070. A 3070, as far as we know, is faster than a 2080 Ti.

Which you can see in this picture from the announcement:

This graph basically illustrates my point. As you can see, if the 2080 is between the 2070 Super and the 2080 Super, then compared to the 3070, the difference is like... an additional 1/7 in performance?
Insignificant. Hardly called an upgrade. Definetly not worth to ditch something that already works well. Especially if it might involve extra heat and for some, even a need to purchase a bigger psu in addition.

Last edited:

Nichronos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 22, 2018
@dondan I've got the official dimensions for the EVGA XC3 Black (no backplate version) from EVGA

Dimensions: 285 x 111 x 44 mm (L x B x H)

Will it fit???

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
@dondan I've got the official dimensions for the EVGA XC3 Black (no backplate version) from EVGA

Dimensions: 285 x 111 x 44 mm (L x B x H)

Will it fit???

If you can't be bothered to check the official website as it has the dimensions covered, atleast take the minimal effort to scroll upwards as there's a compatibility list WITHIN this very page (177) containing your answer.