DAN A4-SFX v4.1

luf

Efficiency Noob
Aug 30, 2020
Hey guys! Ordered my Dans A4 on the 24th, still patiently waiting for it to ship but I'm excited! New here as well.

My planned build so far is for unreleased stuff, I'm aiming for Ryzen 4900x using the Asetek AIO liquid cooler, 64gb ram, and an nvidia 3080, possibly a 3090 if it fits, the power supply can handle it, and if its thermals allow. Anyone got recommendations for modular power supply cables that bend well around the asetek AIO?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Hey guys! Ordered my Dans A4 on the 24th, still patiently waiting for it to ship but I'm excited! New here as well.

My planned build so far is for unreleased stuff, I'm aiming for Ryzen 4900x using the Asetek AIO liquid cooler, 64gb ram, and an nvidia 3080, possibly a 3090 if it fits, the power supply can handle it, and if its thermals allow. Anyone got recommendations for modular power supply cables that bend well around the asetek AIO?
pslate makes sleevless sets for the Dan A4 with custom length, makes it much easier.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Have you seen this small beauty?

Reactions: JDK

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
May we begin discussing the new RTX 3080 and 3070 in the DAN A4?

Just eyeballing it here and beginning to consider: how best to achieve proper airflow with these new dual slot 'flow-through' cards?
(and yes, check the rear of the 3070 – while both of its fans are front-mounted, it too features a pass-through vent on the back side)

Speculative ideas follow:

1. Rotate the PSU around, using its fan and airflow to assist in exhausting the GPU's. This would require trimming back the included plastic film.

Obvious concern: these cards will already be driving significant power consumption. Would flowing part of that heat through the PSU wreck PSU thermals? How would one even measure this – is there a thermal sensor in PSUs one can easily monitor?

2. Physically lower the PSU in the case. With low-profile modular cables and some standoffs from the top bracket this might be possible. Then mount a small fan above the PSU to pull up and exhaust both PSU and GPU heat.

I wonder how much clearance this might open up for rearward GPU airflow. One could fashion some additional shrouding to direct the heat and keep it from leaking over to the motherboard side of the case – a home-made chimney of sorts to keep the PSU (and GPU) exhaust exiting through the top of the A4.

Obviously, either of these schemes assume air cooling for the CPU and a standard SFX (not SFX-L) power supply.

Thoughts?

supremeMilo

Trash Compacter
May 3, 2019

XC3 cards will all be 2.2 slots. Length is 11.23in. - 285.37mm / Height is 4.38in. - 111.15 mm.

Do we think this will fit in the DAN A4?

Last edited:

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
XC3 cards will all be 2.2 slots. Length is 11.23in. - 285.37mm / Height is 4.38in. - 111.15 mm.
Do we think this will fit in the DAN A4?

A4-SFX v4.1:
  • Maximum graphics card length: 295 / 306 mm (without/incl. slot bracket)
  • Maximum graphics card height: 144 mm (from the bottom of the PCIe slot)
  • Maximum graphics card width: 40 / 45 mm (without/with backplate)

Graphics Cards' Slot Width Explained:

"A dual-slot graphics card is around 36mm wide ... 2.2 slot graphics card is around 42mm wide"​
If it doesn't fit, there's always this: DAN A4-SFX GPU Spacer.

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
I don't think so, no. Greater than 'X slots' usually refers to portions of the card/cooler extending outward, beyond the rear bracket – to the right if viewing the card upright and from behind, facing the ports.

This card would be a very tight fit. I would wait for others, or Dan himself, to weigh-in on this.

luf

Efficiency Noob
Aug 30, 2020
I would not use the reference card in the dans case personally. I'd get a 3rd party push fanned card with vertical heatsink fins.

Reactions: Tashi

supremeMilo

Trash Compacter
May 3, 2019
From the thread I referenced earlier direct from evga-

Thickness of the 3090/3080 XC3 models with backplate (XC3 Ultra/XC3) is 1.78in. - 45.1mm.
Thickness of the 3090/3080 XC3 models without backplate (XC3 Black) is 1.61in. - 40.9mm.

So maybe 1 mm to big?

Reactions: Zerofool

supremeMilo

Trash Compacter
May 3, 2019

Did the V2 have more GPU room?

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
I also think that it's "2.2" without the backplate. Here's a proper view. I doubt it will fit, but yes, someone more experienced should enlighten us.

Source: Wccftech

Slot sizes are mostly including the back plate.

A normal 2 Slot card is 2*19,75 = 39,5mm (inlcuding the back plate)
A 2.2 Slot card is 2,2*19,75 = 43,45

So I think the new 2.2 Slot EVGA RTX XC3 will fit.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Obviously, either of these schemes assume air cooling for the CPU and a standard SFX (not SFX-L) power supply.

Thoughts?

A rotated SFX-L could be better for temps because it has a bigger opening to get all the hot air from the back gpu fan. The will mean less hot air inside the case.

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
A rotated SFX-L could be better for temps because it has a bigger opening to get all the hot air from the back gpu fan. The will mean less hot air inside the case.

Thank you – that makes good sense, yes.

I've read others who claim that newer small form-factor PSUs – up to 1000W – will be introduced soon, but will adhere to SFX rather than SFX-L.

Either way, what are your thoughts, Dan, on the ability of a PSU to serve double-duty as an exhaust fan for hot airflow from a 320W GPU?
Do PSUs exist which can monitor and report their thermal status?