DAN A4-SFX v4.1

Yugo555

Average Stuffer
Mar 13, 2020
Hello, I am new on the forum. I often play computer games but it is challenging to move my tower PC around since I change location quite every year, sometimes months. I don’t like to use Laptops because of the fan noise, hot keyboard surface after long sessions, limited hardware upgrade possibility and fragility.
I haven’t heard about SFF PC till this year, it seems as a solution for me. I would like to order one of these Dan A4 cases after reading various threads on the forum and watching YouTube videos. However, I am struggling to get some informations about this case. I tried to use the search-box but the results were not satisfying.

I would like to ask if there are dust filters included with the case, if not, possibility to find or is it not necessary at all?
Secondly, in order to install the low profile Noctua L9a air cooler, do I need to buy a separate mounting or adaptor kit or depends on the motherboard I use? I am going with Gigabyte Aorus b450i Wifi btw.
Thirdly, is the PCI riser 4.0 compatible with this MoBo once the 4.0 graphics cards are on the market or should I buy x570? Or completely new series of MoBos will be released for that generation of GPUs?

Thank you very much in advance. I wish a good night to everybody :)

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Hello, I am new on the forum. I often play computer games but it is challenging to move my tower PC around since I change location quite every year, sometimes months. I don’t like to use Laptops because of the fan noise, hot keyboard surface after long sessions, limited hardware upgrade possibility and fragility.
I haven’t heard about SFF PC till this year, it seems as a solution for me. I would like to order one of these Dan A4 cases after reading various threads on the forum and watching YouTube videos. However, I am struggling to get some informations about this case. I tried to use the search-box but the results were not satisfying.

I would like to ask if there are dust filters included with the case, if not, possibility to find or is it not necessary at all?
Secondly, in order to install the low profile Noctua L9a air cooler, do I need to buy a separate mounting or adaptor kit or depends on the motherboard I use? I am going with Gigabyte Aorus b450i Wifi btw.
Thirdly, is the PCI riser 4.0 compatible with this MoBo once the 4.0 graphics cards are on the market or should I buy x570? Or completely new series of MoBos will be released for that generation of GPUs?

Thank you very much in advance. I wish a good night to everybody :)

hi there, here are the answers to the best of my knowledge
  1. Dust filters are not included with the case. There are a few compatible dust filter sets out there but here is the DEMCIFilter Filter Set as featured on Dan's website along with availability. I'm using my case without dust filters since the trade-off is more restrictive airflow and worse temps for components.
  2. There are 2 versions --L9a (discontinued) and L9a-AM4. If you have the L9a-AM4 then you are set, but if the L9a version then you need NM-AM4-L9aL9i kit
  3. If you get V4.1 case then the stock riser cable is already PCIE 4.0 compatible. If you get V4.0 or prior then those riser cables are only PCIE 3.0 Dan A4 Spec - Changelog at the bottom of the page

DarkCanuck

Average Stuffer
Jun 28, 2018
Have to order through overclockeruk. They ship via dhl and also remove the VAT tax. I got mine in 3 or 4 days. They also bundle I believe with 645lt as well if you want to go that route. Might be other bundle options as well depending on what cooler u are looking at.

Make sure to order 645lt or whatever cooler with proper mount.. dont be like me and not notice you have to select an option. Also I believe they sell the blackridge or whatever it is as well and that isnt available in the US either. So if you want either cooler get at the same time.

Link below.

I can second Overclockers UK; fantastic experience.

Yugo555

Average Stuffer
Mar 13, 2020
  1. Dust filters are not included with the case. There are a few compatible dust filter sets out there but here is the DEMCIFilter Filter Set as featured on Dan's website along with availability. I'm using my case without dust filters since the trade-off is more restrictive airflow and worse temps for components.
  2. There are 2 versions --L9a (discontinued) and L9a-AM4. If you have the L9a-AM4 then you are set, but if the L9a version then you need NM-AM4-L9aL9i kit
  3. If you get V4.1 case then the stock riser cable is already PCIE 4.0 compatible. If you get V4.0 or prior then those riser cables are only PCIE 3.0 Dan A4 Spec - Changelog at the bottom of the page

Thank you very much my friend. I will go with L9a-AM4, so I don‘t need extra mounting set. About the PCI riser 4.0, if I get the case version 4.1, will there be any problem running GTX 1660 Super? Any compatibility problems?

those who are looking for a good filter, here is the one of the best solutions, women stockings

just choose extra large size and you good to go, simple, cheap and will cover the entire case.

no jokes !!

That’s creative :D

deanorthk

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 27, 2017
I'm going to build a A4 setup, for dual purpose... ROON server and gaming.
I intend to use my O so solid Evga FTW3 1080ti, that still gives me solid performance at 1440P, which is enough for me. Z390 and core I5 9600 I think, and, most important, externel HDPLEX PSU 400W with internal 400W AC converter. I would like to use the room created by the empty PSU space for an AOI, or, as I still have my 1080TI FTW EKWB waterblock, and a cpu waterblock, maybe order that EKWB pump/flat reservoir combo that first in a 120mm space.... but then, just a thin 240mm radiator, where would it fit, even with the 1080TI with its waterblock.... but I would like the GPU especially to be silent, that is sure.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Thank you very much my friend. I will go with L9a-AM4, so I don‘t need extra mounting set. About the PCI riser 4.0, if I get the case version 4.1, will there be any problem running GTX 1660 Super? Any compatibility problems?

Should be no problem at all. I'm running a Vega 64 which is also a PCIE 3.0 card and left the setting auto in the bios (I'm using the Aorus X570i btw) and everything just works out of the box.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
  1. There are 2 versions --L9a (discontinued) and L9a-AM4. If you have the L9a-AM4 then you are set, but if the L9a version then you need NM-AM4-L9aL9i kit
  2. If you get V4.1 case then the stock riser cable is already PCIE 4.0 compatible. If you get V4.0 or prior then those riser cables are only PCIE 3.0 Dan A4 Spec - Changelog at the bottom of the page

True, but you also have the new/updated chromax version of the same cooler.
Only difference is that this one is all black, black heatsink and fan.

No need for PCI 4.0 today, only very limited M.2 NVMe drives that utilises it. Which you won’t notice all that much in day to day usage. Sure, benchmark scores etc are impressive, but how much of those reflect real world usage and day to day usage?...

Todays graphics card doesn’t even fully utilize PCI 3.0 yet, so no need to go 4.0.

Look at my reply above regarding your question. But in short; Not sure exactly which GPUs that support PCI 4.0, as far as I’m aware only RTX line up does. But don’t quote me on that.

Reactions: Yugo555

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
True, but you also have the new/updated chromax version of the same cooler.
Only difference is that this one is all black, black heatsink and fan.

No need for PCI 4.0 today, only very limited M.2 NVMe drives that utilises it. Which you won’t notice all that much in day to day usage. Sure, benchmark scores etc are impressive, but how much of those reflect real world usage and day to day usage?...

Todays graphics card doesn’t even fully utilize PCI 3.0 yet, so no need to go 4.0.

Look at my reply above regarding your question. But in short; Not sure exactly which GPUs that support PCI 4.0, as far as I’m aware only RTX line up does. But don’t quote me on that.

True the Chromax version exists. But why pay 25% more ($39 vs 49$) when you're never going to see the cooler in the A4?

PCIE 4.0 is not needed today, yes. But the poster clearly stated his question is for future proofing - i.e. when more PCIE 4.0 cards are released.

And as of today only AMD Navi cards are PCIE 4.0 compatible. All current RTX cards are PCIE 3.0 only.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
True the Chromax version exists. But why pay 25% more ($39 vs 49$) when you're never going to see the cooler in the A4?

PCIE 4.0 is not needed today, yes. But the poster clearly stated his question is for future proofing - i.e. when more PCIE 4.0 cards are released.

And as of today only AMD Navi cards are PCIE 4.0 compatible. All current RTX cards are PCIE 3.0 only.

Regarding the cooler and it's colour, it's all personal preference :) Some people still have OCD and still like the idea that their rig is all black and nice inside, even if you can't see it. Plus. at the end of the day, it's $10 difference, which likely isn't going to do that much of a damage to ones wallet. But each to their own :)

Ah I see, no worries there. Was just being informative and subjective regarding it all, nothing personal or so meant with my post.

Well look at that then, I was clearly wrong and stand corrected. Had a hunch though that only AMD cards may have had 4.0 though, seeing as AMD is the only company that has the 4.0 standard today.

Reactions: thelaughingman

x111

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT MECH OC
or
MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT GAMING X
or
any other Radeon RX 5700 XT

does anyone try to fit it ?

it looks like all those cards are too thick.

and this card has PCI 4.0

Last edited:

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT MECH OC
or
MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT GAMING X
or
any other Radeon RX 5700 XT

does anyone try to fit it ?

it looks like all those cards are too thick.

and this card has PCI 4.0

Yes, all of those graphics cards are too thick for the A4 SFX. Only dual slot will fit.

Reactions: x111

x111

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
ok, than,
after a bit of research I came across this one
"PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon RX 5700 XT"
Does anyone have a positive experience with it ?

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
ok, than,
after a bit of research I came across this one
"PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon RX 5700 XT"
Does anyone have a positive experience with it ?

Don't have any experience, but here you've got a few videos regarding this specific GPU:

bhk1004

Caliper Novice
Mar 2, 2020
For anyone curious. the 3mm thermal pad on the rear M.2 + Fan below the motherboard = 30 degrees idle and so far max of 33 degrees. I went a little bit nuts and ordered the thermal pad below for the high thermal conductivity. For reference the one below is 12 and arctic silver is only 6. But it costs much more than the arctic silver thermal pads.

Reactions: thelaughingman

x111

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
For anyone curious. the 3mm thermal pad on the rear M.2 + Fan below the motherboard = 30 degrees idle and so far max of 33 degrees. I went a little bit nuts and ordered the thermal pad below for the high thermal conductivity. For reference the one below is 12 and arctic silver is only 6. But it costs much more than the arctic silver thermal pads.

Thermal Conductivity amounts to 12 W/mK,
it seems like a scam !!