DAN A4-SFX v4.1

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Thermal pad on an M.2 NVME SSD on the back of a motherboard in the A4 SFX?... For what purpose? To bridge the M.2 with the case itself with the thermal pad or what?...

This

Reduce thermal. It's been mentioned the m.2 behind the mobo runs around 80-90+ if just left on it's own. Basically using the case as a heat sink.

I was actually just about to make a post on this. Been using the build for 2 weeks, has a 92mm NF-A9x14 below the motherboard and the M.2 temps are:
  • Front (with the heatsink fan): 50C idle, 55C light load, 65C full load
  • Back (NO thermal pad): 55C idle, 65C light load, 75C full load
Then last night an epiphany came and I realized I haven't touched the thermal pad included with the Aorus X570i so I took out everything to install it. The temps now are:
  • Back (WITH thermal pad): 40C idle, 50C light load, 60C full load
I'm seriously debating if I should move my main main/boot M.2 (front) to the back now for better temps haha.

bhk1004

Caliper Novice
Mar 2, 2020
This

I was actually just about to make a post on this. Been using the build for 2 weeks, has a 92mm NF-A9x14 below the motherboard and the M.2 temps are:
  • Back (NO thermal pad): 55C idle, 65C light load, 75C full load
Then last night an epiphany came and I realized I haven't touched the thermal pad included with the Aorus X570i so I took out everything to install it. The temps now are:
  • Back (WITH thermal pad): 40C idle, 50C light load, 60C full load
I'm seriously debating if I should move my main main/boot M.2 (front) to the back now for better temps haha.
I'm glad it's not an issue for you, even as you specifically dont have an m.2 in the back.

There are posts littered with this issue on reddit. If no one here is doing anything that's fine. There are a few people posting in this forum mentioning shims and thermal pads for it as well. I believe it is 3mm, but wanted to confirm.

Below is an example of posts.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
I'm glad it's not an issue for you, even as you specifically dont have an m.2 in the back.

There are posts littered with this issue on reddit. If no one here is doing anything that's fine. There are a few people posting in this forum mentioning shims and thermal pads for it as well. I believe it is 3mm, but wanted to confirm.

Below is an example of posts.

I actually use both M.2 slots on my board - a Samsung OEM one in the front for boot and the Intel 660p in the back as a media/gaming drive. Unlike that Reddit post you referenced, I did not re-route the riser cable to the other side of the case and next to the back of the GPU. Instead I left it where it was shipped and re-position the green tape (the thing that keeps the riser cable stuck to the case) to align with the M.2 slot and have the thermal pad touches the tape instead of the bare riser cable.

Temps still went down by 20C as observed so it works. The only concern is that maybe, long-term wise, the riser cable may get degraded from excessive heat from the M.2 drive given that the thermal pad is touching the green tape that is directly touching the riser cable. But I do have the slim 92mm fan below the Motherboard on an aggressive fan curve and will add a full 25mm thick 92mm fan to add more airflow later on.

bhk1004

Caliper Novice
Mar 2, 2020
I actually use both M.2 slots on my board - a Samsung OEM one in the front for boot and the Intel 660p in the back as a media/gaming drive. Unlike that Reddit post you referenced, I did not re-route the riser cable to the other side of the case and next to the back of the GPU. Instead I left it where it was shipped and re-position the green tape (the thing that keeps the riser cable stuck to the case) to align with the M.2 slot and have the thermal pad touches the tape instead of the bare riser cable.

Temps still went down by 20C as observed so it works. The only concern is that maybe, long-term wise, the riser cable may get degraded from excessive heat from the M.2 drive given that the thermal pad is touching the green tape that is directly touching the riser cable. But I do have the slim 92mm fan below the Motherboard on an aggressive fan curve and will add a full 25mm thick 92mm fan to add more airflow later on.
Thanks for the heads up. I completely misread your first reply, and oddly I cant edit my reply back.

ordered some 3mm thermal pads and will report back! and definitely planning on adding the 92mm fan below my Mobo. will come off the 645LT as I will be using the losercard mod and use a 25mm with the radiator that comes with the kit. Just awaiting some cables and losercard mod to put this whole thing together.

Reactions: thelaughingman

SFFJunkie

Cable Smoosher
Mar 13, 2020
Hi Guys.
Is the Dan Case 4.1 suitable to cool a Ryzen 3900x?
I have just pulled the trigger on one and a Aorus 570i mobo.
Im not planning to overclock.
Is there a suitable air cooler for this cpu/mobo/case combo or will i need to look at the Asetek 645.
Thanks.

RaihaX

Caliper Novice
Jan 14, 2019
Hi Guys.
Is the Dan Case 4.1 suitable to cool a Ryzen 3900x?
I have just pulled the trigger on one and a Aorus 570i mobo.
Im not planning to overclock.
Is there a suitable air cooler for this cpu/mobo/case combo or will i need to look at the Asetek 645.
Thanks.

Saw a 3950 build recently and he was happy with the temp/performance but it is with the 645.

SFFJunkie

Cable Smoosher
Mar 13, 2020
Saw a 3950 build recently and he was happy with the temp/performance but it is with the 645.
Thanks, will do a bit more looking around at other builds with the Dan/3900x. Im guessing it would have to be with the 645 too. Maybe its just a tad out of the range of an air cooler.

bhk1004

Caliper Novice
Mar 2, 2020
Thanks, will do a bit more looking around at other builds with the Dan/3900x. Im guessing it would have to be with the 645 too. Maybe its just a tad out of the range of an air cooler.
I posted a reddit post about temp and power draw vs performance of running eco mode + pbo vs stock vs stock + pbo. It's for a 3950. Should apply fairly similarly to a 3900. Might be an interesting read to control temps. I'm planning on running eco + pbo on my 3950 myself on a 645lt.

bhk1004

Caliper Novice
Mar 2, 2020
Also, as this is so damn long, has anyone listed what can be used for the A-Key connector? I ordered the item below. I am 99% sure it is essentially the same thing that is listed on Dan's website.

Anywho if this is correct, this is something that people in the US can order if they require it. Completely forgot I needed it XD

bhk1004

Caliper Novice
Mar 2, 2020
Maybe I overlooked it but, I cannot for the life of me figure where to buy this case in the U.S.
Have to order through overclockeruk. They ship via dhl and also remove the VAT tax. I got mine in 3 or 4 days. They also bundle I believe with 645lt as well if you want to go that route. Might be other bundle options as well depending on what cooler u are looking at.

Make sure to order 645lt or whatever cooler with proper mount.. dont be like me and not notice you have to select an option. Also I believe they sell the blackridge or whatever it is as well and that isnt available in the US either. So if you want either cooler get at the same time.

Link below.

bhk1004

Caliper Novice
Mar 2, 2020
Also, as this is so damn long, has anyone listed what can be used for the A-Key connector? I ordered the item below. I am 99% sure it is essentially the same thing that is listed on Dan's website.

Anywho if this is correct, this is something that people in the US can order if they require it. Completely forgot I needed it XD

So I received this today, and realized due to the power supply location it wont fit. I need an adaptor that has the A-key plugging in downward or as an cable. Maybe I will need to use a 20 pin extension cable.

If anyone has an option please let me know.

jensakut

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 6, 2020
For those who want to maintain their option for an M.2 SSD, the USB 3.0 to USB 3.1 Gen 2 Key-A 20 pin adapter seems like a good option. (~25 EUR/USD)

!! Please be aware. See comment from @LoserCard below. Except for the Lian-Li (which seems to be no longer sold), you probably need a USB 3.0 header extension cord to get clearance from the PSU. E.g. (shortest I found so far - 12cm) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32794246283.html

More info from supplier: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33057674460.html (be aware, longer shipping times from CN)
Also sold by Lian-Li: http://www.lian-li.com/product/pw-inc1tr/
Also sold by Corsair: https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Cooling/USB-3-1-Gen-2-Header-to-USB-3-0-19-pin-Adapter/p/CC-8900303

There it is

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Heya everyone,

So I have a question regarding something I've been wondering about... For those who have an Dan A4 SFX case and an 92mm Asetek AIO, are there any risks involved regarding the PSU and mostly the PSU cables, hence they being so densely packed in there. I'm thinking of the heat that is coming from the AIO onto those PSU cables, long term effects (if any).

What do you guys think regarding this?...

Kozi

Caliper Novice
Jun 13, 2019
Heya everyone,

So I have a question regarding something I've been wondering about... For those who have an Dan A4 SFX case and an 92mm Asetek AIO, are there any risks involved regarding the PSU and mostly the PSU cables, hence they being so densely packed in there. I'm thinking of the heat that is coming from the AIO onto those PSU cables, long term effects (if any).

What do you guys think regarding this?...

Nothing to worry about, you will never see a temperature high enough to damage the cables.

Reactions: Dawelio