DAN A4-SFX v4.1

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Yes it works but only with stupid devices like USB-Sticks, mouse s.o.. Devices that have a media controller inside (smartphone and hubs) will not work. The reason: The silverstone one does not have a controller on it that supports legacy USB mode. If you like to support these devices you need the LianLi or LINKUP one.

RaihaX

Caliper Novice
Jan 14, 2019
Yes it works but only with stupid devices like USB-Sticks, mouse s.o.. Devices that have a media controller inside (smartphone and hubs) will not work. The reason: The silverstone one does not have a controller on it that supports legacy USB mode. If you like to support these devices you need the LianLi or LINKUP one.

Thanks for the confirmation

A4 going forward will be available for preorder / order via www.w360mod.com

As part of SFFLAB 2.0, SFFLAB will not sell cases anymore. W360MOD will handle A4 and third party parts.

Shouldn't have checked but got too curious; but damn could have saved 25% off from ordering through you instead (you were a day too late!) ?

Kapsi

Trash Compacter
Nov 20, 2018
Currently I think of an step between v4.1 and v5 with an v4.2 with a black gen4 riser. My plans for the v5 is a bigger case that can handle bigger heatsink. The look will be similar to the new C4-SFX or the old C4-SFX. I will start my work of the v5 in the next weeks. So release not before end of 2020. Currently I can't say more because there are so many vendors that are also reading in the forum.
Thank you so much for your reply! I will look forward to it and good luck with the desing.

Mandalorian

Chassis Packer
Jan 1, 2020
Is it worth to go for I7 9700 instead I5 9600 considering I will use 95W cpu thermal limit (long duration)? Use-case: video editing (AVX), no games....
If I use cpu in unrestricted thermal mode, 9700 is clear winer, if they are both restricted, i assume 9700 will have lower max turbo but 2 extra core and less difference in results, any thoughts?
I found answer on my question, Annadtech made SFF 95W limit test

guniens

Average Stuffer
Nov 28, 2019
Hi guys
I have just built my first SFFPC in DAN A4. Build is:
  • Ryzen 7 3700X + L9A with fan duct
  • GIGABYTE AORUS X570 I PRO WIFI
  • Gskill trident z rgb 16GB 3600 C18
  • 2 Sabrent Rocket (256GB for OS and 1TB for games)
  • GIGABYTE GTX 970 WINDFORCE OC 3X (will be replaced with ampere/new navi)
  • Corsair SFX750 platinum
  • 2 Noctua 92MM fans under psu and motherboard as exhaust (NF-A9 and NF-A9X14)
This build will be for gaming only and here comes my questions:
Are there some guides to follow for:
  • an optimal bios configuration (temps and everything else for example)
  • some must-have tools
  • also how to sync my RGB on motherboard and ram
I haven't already played games but installed a fitgirl repack, case without sidepanels and cpu was about 70 and rear M.2 was 50 so i think it's not bad but i maybe be wrong lol.

Thanks in advance!

Titeywitey

Trash Compacter
May 24, 2019
So you came here to advertise your DIY project in an obnoxious way? Like, yeah, it's cool, but come on man, just post the link

TunnelVision

Cable Smoosher
Apr 29, 2016
I've just finished moving to this case. This is what I have:
  • CPU: Core i7-8700K delidded
  • Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i chromax.black
  • Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX H370-I GAMING
  • Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200
  • Storage: 2 x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB NVMe M.2 (for Windows and macOS)
  • Video card: Powercolor AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT Red Dragon
  • Case: Dan A4-SFX V4.1
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum
  • Case fan: Noctua NF-A9x14 chromax.black.swap
  • Front panel USB-C: Akasa low-profile USB 3.0 internal extension cable (ebay.co.uk) plus LINKUP adapter (amazon.co.uk)
Some notes:
  • I had to cut the retaining-clip from the power supply's CPU/EPS12V 8-pin connector to prevent it interfering with the case fan (fitted below the motherboard)
  • the fans of the first Powercolor graphics card I received made a nasty buzzing or rattling noise as they ramped up and down. Fortunately its replacement is fine

Last edited:

troybot

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2018
  • I had to cut the retaining-clip from the power supply's CPU/EPS12V 8-pin connector to prevent it interfering with the case fan (fitted below the motherboard)
I have roughly the same setup, but with a 9700k (but not delidded). I also had to cut the plastic clips.

What are your temps like with the with the L9i?

TunnelVision

Cable Smoosher
Apr 29, 2016
I have roughly the same setup, but with a 9700k (but not delidded). I also had to cut the plastic clips.

What are your temps like with the with the L9i?

I'm not an avid bench marker/stress tester so take this with a grain of salt but with current settings/variables (Long Duration Package Power Limit of 90W, 20°C ambient temperature plus some other things I haven't thought of):
  • at idle CPU temp is around 40°C with CPU and chassis fans at around 750rpm, clocks around 800MHz
  • after 10mins of Prime95 blend mode, CPU temp was around 80°C, CPU fan 2200rpm, chassis fan 1300rpm, clocks up to 4200MHz-ish

Reactions: troybot

DarkCanuck

Average Stuffer
Jun 28, 2018
@dondan Here the pictures and temp!

Specs:

ASUS Strix Z390 Itx
Intel 9900K, MCE enabled, Voltage offset -0.025, AVX Offset -1 (49) and -2 (48), No Power Limit
Corsair LPX 3733Mhz 2x16GB XMP 17-19-19-39, 1.35V
3M Riser 25cm PCIe 4.0 Ready
MSI 2070 Aero ITX
Corsair H75 (2018) + Scythe Kaze Flex Slim (got from the BS3) - Standard Fan BIOS Profile
Optane 905P 512GB U.2 to M.2 (back) Intel Cable (OS)
Samsung 970 Pro 1TB (Cache)
Samsung 860 Pro 2TB (Data)
Corsair SF600 Platinum (I get better temp actually with the fan INSIDE)
@Thehack M2427 Plug and Cable (AMAZING JOB!!!)
Noctua A9x14 Chromax on CPU side panel (from the new L9i Chromax) as Exhaust (SIlent BIOS Profile) (THIS CHANGE COMPLETELY THE TEMP SYSTEM!!)

And the temp under Blender Benchmark AVX Render Scene (4.9 and 4.8 GHz) and Cinebench R20 (4.9GHz).

@fabio May I ask how you mounted that fan on your side panel?

Last edited:

RaihaX

Caliper Novice
Jan 14, 2019
Can anyone confirm if the l9a running around 1600-1800 rpm on idle is normal? My temp seems normal when comparing to other Dan A4 users so I assume that speed is normal but then I saw the above poster where his fan is at 750rpm on idle on his l9i, so now I am not sure.

xredlinexx1

Average Stuffer
Mar 18, 2019
Hey, do you guys think this custom loop will fit? I'm pondering the idea of using the hdplex 400w instead of an sfx psu, then putting in a EK-XRES 100 DDC MX reservoir/pump (https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xres-100-ddc-mx-3-1-pwm-incl-pump), and then a 120mm radiator (https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-coolstream-se-120-slim-single-5000) with slim noctua fan. Also, this would be with a gigabyte 2060 mini gpu in the back.

It looks like I could put the hdplex on left side of the motherboard side, and have the reservoir/pump sit to the right of it. There would have to be a little gap to make room for the hdplex wires, so it will be a tight squeeze. Then have the radiator/fan on the backside/gpu side. If there is even enough room on the mobo side, i would likely have to use 90 degree fittings directly out of the pump and have the tubing flow upwards at first.

What do you think? I don't actually own a a4-sfx yet, so i'm only going off dimensions found the internet. I found another thread on here from years ago with this same exact idea, but nothing came of it.