DAN A4-SFX v4.1

Kozi

Caliper Novice
Jun 13, 2019
i7 8700 rtx 2080ti 32gb ssd m2 256gb ssd 1 tb
the asaka 80x10 cooler is on the processor heat sink and the processor is constantly working on 4 gigahertz rtx 2080ti graphics card the temperature inside the case does not exceed 40 c in games
I would never have thought that Alphacool radiotor would fit there. That's crazy!

RonnyDance

Case Bender
Jan 22, 2020
I just build my Dan last weekend and was shocked about the temperatures in Full Load using the Ryzen 3700X.

My Specs:
Ryzen 3700x
Aorus Pro WiFI X570 with newest Bios (11)
Noctua NH L9i Chromax with the Montage Kit for AM4 (Well I just saw today the post of DAN that because of that I am loosing 4-7 °C -_-)
3D printed Fan Duct
1x Noctua nf-a9x14 chromax at the SSD Cage Position exhaust
Zotac 2070 Super MINI

I am using the manual temp graph in the UEFI of DAN, meaning:
0-60°C 40%
60-70°C 60%
70-80°C 75%
80°C + 100%

In Full Load the CPU temp was around 80 °C and went up to 95°C . In Idle I also had sometimes 60-75 °C. I understood that I am not alone with the issue and that this is normal using the 3700x whith the Noctua L9 in a Dan Case even though using a Fan Duct?

What I did yesterday was disabling the CPB (Core Performance Boost) so I never run in turbo mode above the 3.6ghz. Well after that the temps are fine.

42-44°C in idle and 65-71°C max in Full Load (Cinebench).

Right now I am just unsure if everything is normal / fine and deactivating the CPB was the right approach. Perhaps undervolting the CPU or setting the TDP manually is better?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

peacecraft_M

Trash Compacter
May 30, 2019
1) It will not change that much. Yes exhaust.
2) Here are the best air heatsinks sort by performance:
  • Blackridge with A12x15 + VLP Ram
  • Thermalright AXP90 Copper
  • Noctual L9a + Fan Duct
  • Cryorig C7G + Noctua A9x14
  • Blackridge with A9x14
  • Noctua L9a without Fan Duct

Wonder where the C7 with 120mm fan adapter would fall.

RonnyDance

Case Bender
Jan 22, 2020
How much thermal paste did you put, ryzens and especially 3xxx series require more paste than usual because of the die size and layout.
Yeah I thought about the thermal paste also but would be surprised if it's because of that.
I am using the Noctua Thermal Paste and used a drop of thermal paste. Difficult to explain how much but it wasn't a small drop. I also did not use too much paste and covered everthing. Just a good drop in the middle which I always used until now but for Intel CPUs. I saw this video (LINK) and well my drop is a little bit bigger. Since the vid is really old perhaps it's really too small.
Of course, a processor crystal made according to 7-nm standards has an extremely small “contact spot” with a heat-distribution cover, and therefore it is really more difficult to cool a Ryzen 3000 than 12- and 14-nm processors. However, the 90-degree heating of the CPU raises doubts that such a processor under load demonstrates power consumption at the level of 53 W, about which all its internal sensors report. One gets the impression that AMD intentionally and very underestimates the consumption figures so that the processor automatically accelerates to higher frequencies as part of the Precision Boost 2 technology, which sets the 88 kW upper bar for the 65-watt Ryzen 7 3700X.
The actual power consumption of the Ryzen 7 3700X can be judged by the sensors of the motherboard power converter. According to their testimony, the processor, which supposedly creates an electrical load of 53 W, is supplied with a current of 106 W plus another 15 W for SoC. The system as a whole at this time demonstrates consumption of the order of 185-190 watts, so there is no doubt left: the 65-watt Ryzen 7 3700X under load is able to consume about twice as much as the declared heat packet. In other words, the energy efficiency of the Ryzen 7 3700X is a lie, slander, and provocation.
Thanks a lot for the detailed and fast answer. Never thought about how high the watts can go and how difficult it could be to keep the CPU cool. With CPB deactivated the temps seem fine for me. It's sad because of the performance loss, but well I don't need it that much.

Last edited:

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
The amount in the video is too low in my opinion, I would use at least double that. But the method is fine, big drop in the middle and heatsink spreads it on its own.

mkdirs

Case Bender
New User
Jan 22, 2020
Hi guys, first post here after been lurking this forums for a couple of years...

It's just a quick note on this:
Of course, a processor crystal made according to 7-nm standards has an extremely small “contact spot” with a heat-distribution cover, and therefore it is really more difficult to cool a Ryzen 3000 than 12- and 14-nm processors. However, the 90-degree heating of the CPU raises doubts that such a processor under load demonstrates power consumption at the level of 53 W, about which all its internal sensors report. One gets the impression that AMD intentionally and very underestimates the consumption figures so that the processor automatically accelerates to higher frequencies as part of the Precision Boost 2 technology, which sets the 88 kW upper bar for the 65-watt Ryzen 7 3700X.
The actual power consumption of the Ryzen 7 3700X can be judged by the sensors of the motherboard power converter. According to their testimony, the processor, which supposedly creates an electrical load of 53 W, is supplied with a current of 106 W plus another 15 W for SoC. The system as a whole at this time demonstrates consumption of the order of 185-190 watts, so there is no doubt left: the 65-watt Ryzen 7 3700X under load is able to consume about twice as much as the declared heat packet. In other words, the energy efficiency of the Ryzen 7 3700X is a lie, slander, and provocation.

The source of the article is here, which is a translation-ish from here. It's kinda technical but is a good read.

seppola

Trash Compacter
Jan 1, 2020
what is the recommended screw lenght to install the dan duct on a Noctua L9a? (seems I didnt receive the screws for the 25mm thick fan in the box)

Last edited:

Mandalorian

Chassis Packer
Jan 1, 2020
Is it worth to go for I7 9700 instead I5 9600 considering I will use 95W cpu thermal limit (long duration)? Use-case: video editing (AVX), no games....
If I use cpu in unrestricted thermal mode, 9700 is clear winer, if they are both restricted, i assume 9700 will have lower max turbo but 2 extra core and less difference in results, any thoughts?

Mandalorian

Chassis Packer
Jan 1, 2020

I got Black Ridge in bundle with case and now im thinking about Corsair H55, also open to any other option
With 170mm ITX gpu (RX570) im flexible for best cooling solution. I also have SFX PSU.

Im in favour of 120mm AIO, easier to install, with some good airflow planning i think i could get good results, what are your thoughts?

120mm AIO idea
AIO mount on GPU side, fan set for intake with sealed edges to prevent air recirculation
40mm x1/x2 bellow PSU or 40mm on side next to PSU as exhaust to pull hot air out
Motherboard 92 fan intake to cool vrm's
GPU with 3D printed shroud + 92mm Noctua exhaust to take hot air outside of the case (without this GPU would heat up AIO radiator)
Custom cables

david_dutton87

What's an ITX?
Jan 27, 2020
i was just wondering if anyone knows where i could get hold of the old usb c front panel connector that goes to the usb 3.0 header? i know that there are work around's but i really don't like the idea of having to use multiple adaptors (expensive and more points of failure) to get this to work on all ryzren mini itx boards. I've tried to find a replacement cable but can't seem to find the right one which is annoying as i know someone must make them. @dondan

Misjn

Chassis Packer
Oct 29, 2019
Just finished my build, first time working on anything remotely this small.

The case seems pretty great. Didn't have any big unexpected issues building in it, having to bend the riser cable felt all kinds of wrong but doesn't seem to have broken so whatever :) Only had one case fan to put in for now so have to open it up another time to add a second one. Think I might try the PSU the other way around then also, cable management seemed challenging with the PSU positioned the recommended way.

I got the Thermalright AXP-90 Copper and wouldn't recommend it for this case. It fits in but gets noisy with the sidepanel on as it's basically touching it. I knew this could likely be this way so almost expected it. Will probably change to a NH L9a.

Last edited:

mikethetiger

Case Bender
Jan 7, 2017
I'm moving my build to the A4 I just got. I wanted to use the WD Black SN750 drives with the heatsink on my motherboard. Does anyone know if there will be clearance issues on the underside of the motherboard mounting position? Motherboard is an Asus ROG Strix Z270i Gaming.

Mandalorian

Chassis Packer
Jan 1, 2020
I'm moving my build to the A4 I just got. I wanted to use the WD Black SN750 drives with the heatsink on my motherboard. Does anyone know if there will be clearance issues on the underside of the motherboard mounting position? Motherboard is an Asus ROG Strix Z270i Gaming.

i returned mine today, it wont fit, plus backplate gets really hot, especially if you have blackridge as pull, not even 92mm fan under mbo help.
one of the solutions would be thermal pads, i saw few posts with decent temp drop, depend on your mbo, you have maybe 2-3mm space there

btw i move riser cable on gpu side