DAN A4-SFX v4.1

integer

Trash Compacter
Aug 29, 2019
I noticed some sites like the official one say v4.1 and others say just say v4.

Does "4.1" just mean the 2nd batch of v4's? wondering any physical differences between the v4 and v4.1

Last edited:

BennyBait

Caliper Novice
Jun 12, 2019
I noticed some sites like the official one say v4.1 and others say v4. Does "4.1" just mean the 2nd batch of v4's? wondering any physical differences.

On the Dan Case website:
With v4.1 the A4-SFX will be the first sandwich layout case that supports PCIe® x16 Gen4. Furthermore we add USB 3.2 gen2 type-C front panel support with the new internal Key-A connector.

• 3M™ 8KC3-0726-0300 PCIe® x16 Gen4 riser
  • USB 3.2 gen2 Type-C front port with internal Key-A

Reactions: integer

integer

Trash Compacter
Aug 29, 2019
On the Dan Case website:

Thanks, I saw that previously.

The website states the listed improvements for the v4.1 includes a front USB Type-c port. However the v4 also has this as an improvement. Therefore the blurb does not differentiate between v4.0 and v4.1?

integer

Trash Compacter
Aug 29, 2019
Sort of answering my own question here. Had to dig in archive.org to see full history of release notes.

Here is the v4.0. So clearly is a difference between 4.0 and 4.1.

What's new in v4?
With v4 we reduce the retail price again. Therefor the v4 comes with a special riser made by ADT. The new riser cable will support PCIe® x16 Gen3.
  • ADT R33UF-TU PCIe® x16 Gen3 riser
  • USB 3.2 gen1 Type-C front port
  • 92mm fan mount point under the motherboard
  • Pre-drilled threads for custom window kits
  • The 120mm AIO bracket is now optional
Reason I ask is a few v4.0's floating around and wanted to know if it's worth waiting for the 4.1 batch to ship. Anyway, prob dont' need PCIE4.0 for gaming. Not sure what a "internal Key-A" means or if it's worth holding out for ?

advblue

Caliper Novice
Jan 13, 2019
4.1 front USB port supports speeds of USB 3.2 gen2, old 4.0 front USB port supports speeds of I think USB 3.0. So basically, with 4.1 you are getting different front USB cable. I think I read that currently there are no ITX motherboards that have USB 3.2 gen2 header.

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
Hi there,
I purchased a v2 from the 2nd kickstarter. I remember reading, and just confirmed, that using an AIO watercooler required removal of the front usb connector.
Would replacing the v2 usb connector with the v3 usb connector (https://www.sfflab.com/products/dan_a4_cable_usb?_pos=1&_sid=12b4825fa&_ss=r) allow me to install the Asetek 656LT 92MM SFF AIO without issue? Much appreciate the help!

I emailed Dan this question a while ago he said yes, the v3 connector will work on the v2 case.

Last edited:

Redux-Limited

Caliper Novice
Sep 1, 2019
I see that Caseking.de has already the v4.1 listed on their site but remains "unknow" but in the Dan-Case website says avaiable in November, so hipoteticaly if I buy it right know I should be receiving it around November. Did someone bought one from them? I'm asking because I'm living in Germany now and it would be awesome to buy it directly from them.

FaKe_VirTual

Cable Smoosher
Sep 1, 2019
I see that Caseking.de has already the v4.1 listed on their site but remains "unknow" but in the Dan-Case website says avaiable in November, so hipoteticaly if I buy it right know I should be receiving it around November. Did someone bought one from them? I'm asking because I'm living in Germany now and it would be awesome to buy it directly from them.
You can look at the Website of SFFLAB.com they're open for preoders of the A4 with shipping at around 18th October.
I do also live in Germany and ordered the Case myself yesterday.

FaKe_VirTual

Cable Smoosher
Sep 1, 2019
4.1 front USB port supports speeds of USB 3.2 gen2, old 4.0 front USB port supports speeds of I think USB 3.0. So basically, with 4.1 you are getting different front USB cable. I think I read that currently there are no ITX motherboards that have USB 3.2 gen2 header.
Yeah I just read that, unfortunally after odering the new Version of the Case. I currently have no Idea how to get the Front IO working without any support for this header.

Redux-Limited

Caliper Novice
Sep 1, 2019
You can look at the Website of SFFLAB.com they're open for preoders of the A4 with shipping at around 18th October.
I do also live in Germany and ordered the Case myself yesterday.

Yeah but I was asking to avoid the more expensive shipping costs, I think I don't have an option at the moment, thanks for the answer!

boomstick

What's an ITX?
Sep 2, 2019
I have a V2. I saw the 120mm AIO bracket is available separately. I know the V2 doesn’t have the connection points for it, but has anyone tried to retrofit it? Is it a matter of tapping some holes or is it more significant than that?

I’m thinking about stepping up to the 3900x and need a major cooling improvement to get there.

PeGys

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 13, 2019
I have a V2. I saw the 120mm AIO bracket is available separately. I know the V2 doesn’t have the connection points for it, but has anyone tried to retrofit it? Is it a matter of tapping some holes or is it more significant than that?

I’m thinking about stepping up to the 3900x and need a major cooling improvement to get there.
The threads are in the bracket so drilling holes should be sufficient. Bare in mind that the holes are concaved for the screws to fit flush otherwise the case won't close properly.