DAN A4-SFX v4.1

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
In "idle" high peaks are normal for Ryzen Zen2. What temps do you have in Chinebench or Prime95?

BennyBait

Caliper Novice
Jun 12, 2019
How are you keeping that fan in place? Also, what is that tie you are using to keep the tubes in place? I need to replace the "wire tie" I am using. :)

In the photo its just held in place by friction, however I've now just added a m2 (that's m2 as in the screw size - nothing to do with m.2 drives) standoff in the heatsink screw hole to hold it in place. Think I ordered 25mm in length.

The tie used to keep the AIO tubes in place is from the Corsair 750SF (it came with a few) and they are just rapped around the tubes and the CPU bracket.

Last edited:
Reactions: M-jeri

M-jeri

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 20, 2016
In the photo its just held in place by friction, however I've now just added a m2 (that's m2 as in the screw size - nothing to do with m.2 drives) standoff in the heatsink screw hole to hold it in place. Think I ordered 25mm in length.

The tie used to keep the AIO tubes in place is from the Corsair 750SF (it came with a few) and they are just rapped around the tubes and the CPU bracket.

Thanks. Going to steal that standoff idea. :D

Yea I got the same PSU and I saw the tie in that package. Using that now.

Reactions: BennyBait

Hellow

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 7, 2019
My temp :
Ambiant root : 27°C
In bios : 43°C
Idle : 65°C (Ryzen master data)
Prime 95 (none AVX) : 85°C (Ryzen master data)
Idle (after Prime 95) : 70°C (Ryzen master data)

BennyBait

Caliper Novice
Jun 12, 2019
My temp :
Ambiant root : 27°C
In bios : 43°C
Idle : 65°C (Ryzen master data)
Prime 95 (none AVX) : 85°C (Ryzen master data)
Idle (after Prime 95) : 70°C (Ryzen master data)

Average 65 at idle or max 65? Seems very high for average idle

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@Hellow: The default Black Ridge is only as good as the L9a. So only with VLP ram and a Noctua A12x15 you will get the max performance of the BlackRidge. My 3700x on the L9a has also some high peaks on some cores for some seconds ~65°C. You system isn't in idle all the time sometimes some windows process are running an the Ryzen will clock very high on some cores to handle these faster. Here are some Steps you can check:

1) What clocks and temps do you have while running Prime95 10minutes. Your Prime temps are ok but I need to check the cpu clock.
2) Please boot the system. Wait 10minutes and the monitor the temps with CoreTemp or Aida and post us the min, max and current temps.
3) Check the contact of the black ridge with the CPU. After disassembly you can see how good the pressure was. Maybe upload a picture of the thermal paste. Maybe your heatsink does not have good contact.
4) Install the newest Chipset driver and Bios updates. AMD made some improvements with the newest updates
5) Install the fan in suck in mode.
6) Make sure the fan does not work in silent mode
7) Don't use the I/O Shield
8) Reduce PowerPackageTracking to 80 in UEFI
9) If you use case fans they should push air outside the case.

Vilmir

Trash Compacter
Jul 23, 2019
Thanks for the details. This has been insightful.

My system is up and running now however the way that I ran the cables leaves no space under the MB for another fan. Once my pslate order arrives, I will add that fan.

It is fairly easy to squish a Noctua down there and root the CPU PCI cable around it. I suck at cable management and I could achieve it with no pain.
At the end of my build, I found it easier to build in the Dan A4 than in my huge Define R5. The R5 has way more space for cable management, but accessing the mb screws was horrible and removing/adding PCI cards was a mess.
The Dan is small, so everything is accessible if you build it in the right order. I just love it.

cj360

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2017
I know most are getting the Asetek 645lt aio, but for those that got a 545lc before are there recommended screws for using it with the nf-a9? A few build posts on here people have just cut/dremel'ed the screws from the aio but I'd rather not do that.

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
I've got my hands on the new ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3 and did a little PCB analysis and VRM Breakdown! :)
Its german...I know! :D But if you're just looking for a first little impression...CHECK IT OUT! <3

@GucksTV, with all due respect, this thread is about a specific case. If you chose to post a review of how this particular MB works inside an A4, that would be fine. Without that, is feels like you're just pimping your YouTube channel to everyone, IMO.

Last edited:

CALiiGeddon

Chassis Packer
Jul 30, 2019
Does anyone here know if SFFLab ships to FPO addresses? I just found out that Overclockers UK does not so the Dan A4 and Asetek 92mm AIO I ordered just got refunded so now I am out a cooler and a case for some time. I already ordered my other parts so a Dan A4 is pretty much the only case I want.

Hellow

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 7, 2019
@dondan Thanks a lot for your reply

I read a lot of posts about people having hot temp with Ryzen 2.

Shoud I try to tweak the Ryzen Balaned energy mode?

In so far as what I call idle isn't real idle (I had Steam + Origins + Discord and others apps running on background) I should redo a real test without anything.

I'm using VLP and Noctua A12x15 in pull mode (it sucks hot air from the Black ridge and push it inside to the mobo), that's why I was waiting for better temp. While I'm thinking about it, I tied it up only by using one of the 92mm fan screws. Idk if it could reduce overall performance.

1/ with which parameters do you want me to test?

3/ pretty sure it's OK. I think I've tightened properly the cooler because I've shortened the backet to avoid any problem with my Aorus B450I board.

4/ already done

5/ already done

6/ I'm using silent custom fan curve but I can increase RPM a bit.

7 and 9/ I really don't want to take it all apart again.

8/ gona try this

JustinDulay

Caliper Novice
May 3, 2019
@Hellow I have a 3700X on an Asus B450i with a Black Ridge using just the 92mm fan.

What dondan said is correct - when I boot up my PC and fire up Ryzen Master, I’m going to see the VCore sitting at 1.4 or higher. The temps are sitting at 55 to 60C with just the usual startup programs.

Once I do a Cinebench run, VCore somehow stabilizes at 1.35, 80C temps. Same VCore for games, but at a much more manageable 65C, which is what I’ll be doing almost all the time anyway. This is my experience using the Asus board and the latest chipset drivers, using Balanced Power Plans.

TL;DR - New Ryzen chips are idling at high voltages, leading to high idle temps. Load temps aren’t actually that high. Already being ironed out with some users having better luck with the latest drivers.

cj360

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2017
In case others are wondering or want to test with the 645lt aio the screws I found to fit the nf-a9x14 to the 545lc were #6-32 x 3/4".

Was using a meanwell & distro 400 to use a 120mm rad but the meanwell made moving the case a pita so I opted back to parts that just fit all in the case.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@Hellow: Newest Prime version , 8k run, FFTs in Place and 10min. What is your fan speed in "idle" and max load?

Hellow

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 7, 2019
30 min of idle temp :

Hot or not ? ^^

About Prime95 test, do you want me to test this test ?

And ofc, a pic of your little monster on my desk :

Last edited: