DAN A4-SFX v4.1

SoulTribunal

Caliper Novice
May 19, 2019
I tried a usb C drive and it works fine! So looks like the connector is okay. It's weird because when I plug my Pixel 3 phone using the front port it doesn't recognize it at all. I don't even see an option to change it to mass storage.

I also noticed that my temperatures are pretty high. In BIOS I'm getting 45-55 degrees. In Windows I'm ranging between 63 to 80 degrees, average around 70 just doing simple tasks like chrome, discord, etc... Cinebench R15 runs my CPU to 86 degrees and Prime 95 runs it to 95 degrees after 1 min of running. Are these normal temperatures on a Ryzen 3600 x570 board with the Noctua L9a + 3D Printed fan duct? I also have noctua exhaust fans at the bottom of the case.

Dan mentioned it earlier but because the internal USB header is USB 3.0 and the because of the type of header it is the front USB connector doesn't pay nice with certain USB C devices.

For the CPU temps I think it's just a bad mount, remount the heatsink and see if that helps.

PseudoPsyche

Cable Smoosher
Jul 10, 2019
Can anyone with an Asetek 645LT comment on if it’s possible to route the tubing around non low profile memory, such as the GSkill Trident Z Neo?

SoulTribunal

Caliper Novice
May 19, 2019
Can anyone with an Asetek 645LT comment on if it’s possible to route the tubing around non low profile memory, such as the GSkill Trident Z Neo?
While I can't confirm at the moment, if you can mount it with the radiator's connectors on the CPU side rather than the front panel side then it might give you enough slack to clear the ram one way or another. ?

Reactions: PseudoPsyche

PalaSicka

Chassis Packer
Jun 10, 2019
I also have noctua exhaust fans at the bottom of the case.
The problem I see is, you have the heatsink vertically, which will always mean worse temps. Basically, from what I see, there can be plenty of hot air coming back to the heatsink and staying trapped. Shouldn't be that bad, so I still would try to re-paste the CPU. If that doesn't help, I would check if you can swap the orientation of the heatsink and if can't, I would think about a different heatsink.

bobokun

Cable Smoosher
Jul 26, 2019
The problem I see is, you have the heatsink vertically, which will always mean worse temps. Basically, from what I see, there can be plenty of hot air coming back to the heatsink and staying trapped. Shouldn't be that bad, so I still would try to re-paste the CPU. If that doesn't help, I would check if you can swap the orientation of the heatsink and if can't, I would think about a different heatsink.
So I should be orienting the heatsink so that way the fins are pointing vertically instead of horizontally?

PalaSicka

Chassis Packer
Jun 10, 2019
So I should be orienting the heatsink so that way the fins are pointing vertically instead of horizontally?
Absolutely. And for several reasons:
  1. now you blow hot air on the vrm which is certainly not a good idea
  2. you are blocking the airflow with your RAM modules, trapping the hot air inside
  3. you are not effectively using the bottom fan, which would easily blow the hot air out and away from the case
  4. you have fan on m2, I would definitely use it to push the hot air away again, if you can switch the polarity on it
From what I've learned, vertical fins and duct is the most effective setup and there is not much to improve on it. I even didn't installed the PSU bottom fan, cause it didn't have basically any effect, other than making the case noisier. Of course, I don't know your motherboard and because AMD Noctua L9a is wider than L9i, you may or may not need to custom some stuff like removing the passive cooler from the VRM. You need to do some background check, but definitely vertical is better than horizontal in this case.

olddonkey

What's an ITX?
Jul 29, 2019
@Daemos :

Currently I like to discuss this:

I am thinking of including the 3M riser to the next batch of A4-SFXv4.1
Is someone interested in a featur like this. The current product price is $199 / 199€ the new product price would be $215-220 or 215-220€ is this the upgrade worth?

What do you think?

If there will be a v4.1 with 3M riser we can talk about a upgrade kit.
If 4.1 will be available, any estimation around when it will be available?

I am not sure I should buy V4 now or wait for V4.1?

Last edited:

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
I tried a usb C drive and it works fine! So looks like the connector is okay. It's weird because when I plug my Pixel 3 phone using the front port it doesn't recognize it at all. I don't even see an option to change it to mass storage.

I also noticed that my temperatures are pretty high. In BIOS I'm getting 45-55 degrees. In Windows I'm ranging between 63 to 80 degrees, average around 70 just doing simple tasks like chrome, discord, etc... Cinebench R15 runs my CPU to 86 degrees and Prime 95 runs it to 95 degrees after 1 min of running. Are these normal temperatures on a Ryzen 3600 x570 board with the Noctua L9a + 3D Printed fan duct? I also have noctua exhaust fans at the bottom of the case.

Every device that has a USB media controller inside like the Pixel or Galaxy S9 will not work. This is the disadvantage if you connect a USB-C port on a internal USB3.0 controller.

For your temps the temps are a bit high for a Ryzen 3600. Did you connect the L9a fan with the low voltage adapter? Make sure you use enough thermal paste and that the heatsink is screwed in correctly. You can play with undervolting or package power tracking (80W vs 88W default).

Ranker

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2018

With the 545LC, no. With the 645LT, yes. However, I can't comment on your exact RAM sticks but I have the Tridentz RGB and I was able to configure around them. However, it does result in the side panel bulging as it follow the CPU/EPS cable and is partially obstructed further by the ATX cable. There's only so much that the 'channel' for the wires/tubes can fit before it starts pushing on the side panel.

Reactions: PseudoPsyche

PseudoPsyche

Cable Smoosher
Jul 10, 2019
While I can't confirm at the moment, if you can mount it with the radiator's connectors on the CPU side rather than the front panel side then it might give you enough slack to clear the ram one way or another. ?
With the 545LC, no. With the 645LT, yes. However, I can't comment on your exact RAM sticks but I have the Tridentz RGB and I was able to configure around them. However, it does result in the side panel bulging as it follow the CPU/EPS cable and is partially obstructed further by the ATX cable. There's only so much that the 'channel' for the wires/tubes can fit before it starts pushing on the side panel.
Awesome, great to hear! I don’t mind the bulge too much, just wanted some confirmation on whether this was realistic since it’s what I was hoping to do in my upcoming build. As far as the specific memory, the Trident Z Neo look super similar to the Trident Z RGB, so it doesn’t seem like there should be much difference in that regard. Thanks! ?

Ranker

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2018
Now that AMD's new chips have been out for a while, can anyone comment on whether thermal issues are more difficult to deal with on the AMD platform?

I'm about to pull the trigger on another build around a 9700k + B360 in a Dan v2. The rave reviews thus far have me considering an AMD platform (which I've abandoned for over 10 years). Are thermal issues more severe with the AMD platform inside the Dan? I'm planning to use a Blackridge + 120mm fan and 2 92mm fans at the bottom. This one will be for the significant other's place where she'll mostly be working on it, with some gaming if I ever find myself bored to tears and forgetting my gaming grade laptop.

Admiral

Cable Smoosher
Dec 3, 2018
Now that AMD's new chips have been out for a while, can anyone comment on whether thermal issues are more difficult to deal with on the AMD platform?

I'm about to pull the trigger on another build around a 9700k + B360 in a Dan v2. The rave reviews thus far have me considering an AMD platform (which I've abandoned for over 10 years). Are thermal issues more severe with the AMD platform inside the Dan? I'm planning to use a Blackridge + 120mm fan and 2 92mm fans at the bottom. This one will be for the significant other's place where she'll mostly be working on it, with some gaming if I ever find myself bored to tears and forgetting my gaming grade laptop.

There is some exciting news on Tom's Hardware today that AMD will have a 65W, 12-core Ryzen 9 3900 coming soon. For the DAN case, I think a 65W part is essential — the AMD Ryzen 3000 parts have a boost TDP up to only 88 watts.

bobokun

Cable Smoosher
Jul 26, 2019
Every device that has a USB media controller inside like the Pixel or Galaxy S9 will not work. This is the disadvantage if you connect a USB-C port on a internal USB3.0 controller.

For your temps the temps are a bit high for a Ryzen 3600. Did you connect the L9a fan with the low voltage adapter? Make sure you use enough thermal paste and that the heatsink is screwed in correctly. You can play with undervolting or package power tracking (80W vs 88W default).

Thanks for the explanation on the USB media controller, makes sense now. I'm not using any low voltage adapter, it is connected straight from the noctua fan from l9a to the cpu fan header. I will try to remount the thermal paste to see if that helps.

Has anyone ever successfully changed the orientation of the heatsink on the l9a here? From what it looks like it can mount in one direction with the fins horizontally.

SoulTribunal

Caliper Novice
May 19, 2019

Any of the 65watt AMD CPUs will be completely fine. Though if you're using a 120mm fan with the black ridge then everything but perhaps the 12+ core CPUs should also be ok.

Ranker

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2018
Are any of the following motherboards incompatible with the Blackridge + 120mm Noctua fan + VLP RAM:

ASRock-Z390M-ITX-AC
Gigabyte Z390 I AORUS PRO WiFi
MSI MPG Z390I Gaming Edge AC
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming

SiKiaTriK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 28, 2019
Are any of the following motherboards incompatible with the Blackridge + 120mm Noctua fan + VLP RAM:

ASRock-Z390M-ITX-AC
Gigabyte Z390 I AORUS PRO WiFi
MSI MPG Z390I Gaming Edge AC
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming
I can vouch for the Gigabyte Z390 I AORUS PRO WiFi. The photos are taken with the 92mm fan attached, but I think the 120mm would also be fine (using VLP Ram, of course)

Last edited:

91Mackmr2

Trash Compacter
Jun 6, 2019

What is the purpose of the low voltage adapter?

Ranker

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2018
I can vouch for the Gigabyte Z390 I AORUS PRO WiFi. The photos are taken with the 92mm fan attached, but I think the 120mm would also be fine (using VLP Ram, of course)

Does it fit in any other orientation, such as the fins in a vertical position for optimal heat dissipation?