DAN A4-SFX v4.1

isg

What's an ITX?
Apr 28, 2019
For all those that pre-ordered the V4, SFFLab just sent an email saying they will start to fulfill orders from 5/3 to 5/8, so make sure your shipping addresses are correct!

Can't wait!!!
Yes got mail! Awesome. But in that mail was no confirmation button or rehash of address. Just info. Had to go back to order mail manually to check. Same for you?

:)

omardesu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 14, 2019
@isg same for me. In the mail, it says that from the 27th, orders cannot be changed so I assume you can't change any details. If your address is wrong, they simply said to email them before they start printing shipping labels.

It's a nice reminder since I'm sure everybody that pre-ordered has been waiting patiently and it would have sucked if you made an error on the shipping address and you end up never getting your case!!!

Reactions: isg

omardesu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 14, 2019
All my parts that I ordered over the last few months (actually the Strix Vega 56 is going into an eGPU of mine and my 1070 Ti blower will go into the Dan A4):

I finally was able to get back to the USA to pick them up and then test them while in my hotel:

Gladly all components work, so I didn't have to return anything before I flew out of the country just a few days after. Now on to waiting for the case!!!

omardesu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 14, 2019
@dondan So I tried to put the fan duct on the NH-L9i today just for fitment check and it looks like there's a problem because of my ram which not very low profile at all (just had to go for the LED)... If I remove the one ram module, then it will sit flush, but that's something I'm not willing to do...

I will go to the 3D printing shop tomorrow to see if they can help me do a modified duct. But is it possible for you to make a secondary duct file with one side eliminating the conical portion (see my crude sketch below) and making a wall to provide rigidity? Do you think this will have that much effect on the airflow that is tunneling in through the duct?

I haven't used CAD SW in over 15 years, so I feel like I'm wasting my time trying to learn it again when I know you could probably have modded in a few minutes.

Both ram modules installed

One ram module removed

Idea for modified duct that will be compatible with any ram type used

Reactions: fabio

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
@dondan So I tried to put the fan duct on the NH-L9i today just for fitment check and it looks like there's a problem because of my ram which not very low profile at all (just had to go for the LED)... If I remove the one ram module, then it will sit flush, but that's something I'm not willing to do...

I will go to the 3D printing shop tomorrow to see if they can help me do a modified duct. But is it possible for you to make a secondary duct file with one side eliminating the conical portion (see my crude sketch below) and making a wall to provide rigidity? Do you think this will have that much effect on the airflow that is tunneling in through the duct?

I haven't used CAD SW in over 15 years, so I feel like I'm wasting my time trying to learn it again when I know you could probably have modded in a few minutes.

Both ram modules installed

One ram module removed

Idea for modified duct that will be compatible with any ram type used
BTW, I suggest to turn 90 degree the L9i, so the air can go through the fins bottom-top, and not against the RAM ;)

Reactions: omardesu

omardesu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 14, 2019
Finally made something that gives the idea of what I'm trying to accomplish (painfully long process to do this small mod in FreeCAD)... @dondan could you model up something like this?

Last edited:

AseDen

Cable-Tie Ninja
Asetek
Dec 7, 2018
www.asetek.com
Hello @dondan!
I need to ask again. When will the Asetek 645LT stock be replenished?
Please let me know the rough release date.
Thank you!

Overclockers UK have stock of the 645LT.
SFFLab will be getting theirs sometime in May, as they opted to only have their stock shipped by sea (where OCUK opted for airfreight on their initial batch, to bring it quickly to market).

That is one of my mistakes. But if you turn the pump all the air will be hidden in the radiator.
I am planning to purchase Asetek 645LT and will go along with gray coolant and BitsPower Fitting (for coolant replacement).
The Asetek 545LC is a very nice AIO, but it is very difficult to handle without distorting the tube.

Looks cool! :) I imaging that regular tubes like the ones you've used are very hard to work with, without getting kinks! :-O
Love the color of the coolant, though :D
You might want to bleed it better, as others have mentioned. Also, please note that since the rad is aluminum and the coldplate is high-grade copper, you'll want to make sure coolant is fit for mixed metals - to avoid clogging in the coldplate and/or rad :)

omardesu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 14, 2019
So I got my modified duct today... looks good, but the printer decided to make the layer height a bit larger which made the whole thing a bit weaker structurally... I’ll get him to make me another one with lower layer height but fitment-wise it seems fine.

Last edited:

glow

Trash Compacter
Feb 5, 2019
BTW, I suggest to turn 90 degree the L9i, so the air can go through the fins bottom-top, and not against the RAM ;)

My only complaint against the Noctua L9a cooler for AMD sockets is exactly this, lol. No way to reorient that so the airflow isn't running right into the RAM sticks.

Tsuchinoko

Caliper Novice
Sep 28, 2018
Overclockers UK have stock of the 645LT.
SFFLab will be getting theirs sometime in May, as they opted to only have their stock shipped by sea (where OCUK opted for airfreight on their initial batch, to bring it quickly to market).

Looks cool! :) I imaging that regular tubes like the ones you've used are very hard to work with, without getting kinks! :-O
Love the color of the coolant, though :D
You might want to bleed it better, as others have mentioned. Also, please note that since the rad is aluminum and the coldplate is high-grade copper, you'll want to make sure coolant is fit for mixed metals - to avoid clogging in the coldplate and/or rad :)

Hello @AseDen!
I use Coolant for Car's Coolant (LLC). It will be changed to Thermaltake P1000 White later. However, I heard that Thermaltake's Coolant is weak to mixed metals. If that is true, I will continue to use the Car's Coolant.
What does AseDen think of Thermaltake Coolant? I planned to use the gray coolant by mixing Thermaltake's black colorant. That's really unfortunate.

Stryprod

Cable Smoosher
Mar 17, 2019
@omardesu Oh my gosh, this is exactly what I was thinking of fabricating purely for vanity reasons as I have some RGB modules.

Would you kindly share your file and/or printer so I can order a set? I think this would look smart in black.

Regards!

So I got my modified duct today... looks good, but the printer decided to make the layer height a bit larger which made the whole thing a bit weaker structurally... I’ll get him to make me another one with lower layer height but fitment-wise it seems fine.

AseDen

Cable-Tie Ninja
Asetek
Dec 7, 2018
www.asetek.com
Hello @AseDen!
I use Coolant for Car's Coolant (LLC). It will be changed to Thermaltake P1000 White later. However, I heard that Thermaltake's Coolant is weak to mixed metals. If that is true, I will continue to use the Car's Coolant.
What does AseDen think of Thermaltake Coolant? I planned to use the gray coolant by mixing Thermaltake's black colorant. That's really unfortunate.

So I cannot say about the exact composition of the liquids you've described. We have our very own mixture that we use.
I just wanted to give you a heads up on the dangers of replacing liquids.. We actually have a chemist for that very reason, as there is a surprising number of potential outcomes associated with different liquids.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015

Looks good I will add a high ram clearance edition to my website later this day :)

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
I've done a comparison between the Alpenföhn Black Ridge and the new Asetek 645LT in a...lets say simulated enviorment! ;) Just to get a ruff guess on what to expect from both cooling solutions inside the Dan A4...still waiting for the V4 to reach the shelfs in Germany tho! :D

The system was running an i7-8700K @5.0GHz and 1.28v with an LCC of 2 to reach great stability even while running Prime95 and full AVX load.
All temperatures were measured after 5 Cinebench runs (R15) in a row and one run of IntelBurnTest to approve system stability.
Both cooling solutions used the Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM 92mm fan running in auto.

My results:

Alpenföhn BLACK RIDGE V1:
Min. 45°C
Max. 96°C

Asetek 645LT:
Min. 34°C
Max. 77°C

Max. while running Prime95 with FFTs in space in a Custom Run was 98°C that with a peak of 195W running through the package...
I call that a win! :D

I have done a comparsion between the Alpenföhn BLACK RIDGE V1 and the new released V2 the day before and the results are matching relativly well to the given ambient temperature of the day the testing was done:

Alpenföhn BLACK RIDGE V1:
Min 40°C
Max. 93°C

Alpenföhn BLACK RIDGE V2:
Min 34°C
Max. 90°C

The interesting part of that is that the Min. temperature was measured always after 15 min of the system idling and the Asetek 645LT and the BLACK RIDGE V2 are getting the same results at idle which is quiet impressive. All that said: The BLACK RIDGE can get a advantage in noise and better temperatures with using the VLP RAM and a 120mm fan...but that's going to be another video! :) Cheers

Hellow

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 7, 2019
I can be wrong but its last sentance suggests the results are with stock fan and it can improve with 120mm and VLP which will be the subject of a future test

omardesu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 14, 2019
Got my 3D printer to redo the modified duct with lower layer height of 0.14mm (and in black) and it looks great!!!

I also started playing around with custom PSU cabling... no paracord needed as the wiring that I bought already had some sheathing on it. Looks a bit thin compared to paracord sleeving, but I will go with this type for now... Won't fab the harnesses until I get the case and extra connectors that I ordered from mod-one.com.