DAN A4-SFX v4.1

icymind

Efficiency Noob
Nov 17, 2018
On v4 you can install 2x 92x92x15 (Noctua A9x14) at the bottom. One under the PSU the other under the motherboard. Furthermore you can mount the 120mm AIO bracket also above the motherboard. This allows you ro install a heatsink without a fan and add a 120mm fan above it on the bracket.
hi dan, what dimensions the 120mm fan is?

icymind

Efficiency Noob
Nov 17, 2018
It will be available together with v4 release.

Here are my current changes for v4.

• New riser with 185mm short cable (like this https://www.sfflab.com/collections/parts/products/pcie-extender-adt) will drop retail price $10-$25
  • Adding 92mm fan mountpoint + ventholes under the motherboard
  • Lifting the PSU 5mm up to have more space for 92mm AIO
  • removing 120mm AIO bracket from included to optional (orderable over SFFLabs parts section)
  • USB 3.1 gen2 Typ-C at the front
  • adding mointpoints over the motherboard for 120mm AIO bracket to be able to mount a 120mm fan above motherboard
  • making the PWSW cable longer for better access on cheap MSI AM4 boards
  • changing HDD bracket to support for 15mm thick drives
If you have more ideas please let me know.

Hi, dan.
What's the temperature performance of v4 with all three fans mounted?
I plan to use 120mm AIO (corsair h60, mount at gpu side) to cool my 9700K(without OC). I need these fans to keep motherboard cool

Last edited:
Reactions: xpt11

icymind

Efficiency Noob
Nov 17, 2018
Hi guys here are all changes for A4-SFX v4

- ADT 185mm PCIe x16 gen 3 riser
- USB 3.0 Typ-C to 20pin intrnal header (90% confirmed)
- changed to the drive bay so it will support 15mm thick drives
- added thread for easy installation of custom window kits
- adding 92mm fan support under the motherboard
- lifting up motherboard for better bottom fan clearance
- the 120mm AIO bracket will not be included and an optional part on SFFLab

With best regards
Daniel
No top 120mm fan any more?

Last edited:

Brock2621

What's an ITX?
New User
Feb 17, 2019
It will be available together with v4 release.

Here are my current changes for v4.

• New riser with 185mm short cable (like this https://www.sfflab.com/collections/parts/products/pcie-extender-adt) will drop retail price $10-$25
  • Adding 92mm fan mountpoint + ventholes under the motherboard
  • Lifting the PSU 5mm up to have more space for 92mm AIO
  • removing 120mm AIO bracket from included to optional (orderable over SFFLabs parts section)
  • USB 3.1 gen2 Typ-C at the front
  • adding mointpoints over the motherboard for 120mm AIO bracket to be able to mount a 120mm fan above motherboard
  • making the PWSW cable longer for better access on cheap MSI AM4 boards
  • changing HDD bracket to support for 15mm thick drives
If you have more ideas please let me know.

Man I need this case in my life! I'm ready to order v4 right now! When we gunna see some production runs? This will be my first SFF build ever and I'm so excited.

nascentparadigm

Caliper Novice
Jan 4, 2019
So I wanted to share my tale of woe with the community. After trolling through the community forum, it looked like most folks go for either a low profile CPU air-cooler, or a 92mm/120mm AIO. But looking at some of the examples in the HoF on Dan's page, I couldn't help but wonder, would it be possible to put a fully custom water loop inside the case, without having to use any external components?

My imagination ran with that idea, and after a lot of research, and finally came up with a plan that I thought would work. You can see the progress/work done on imgur:

Got everything installed (which was a huge pain), powered the system on with my fingers crossed...and realized the pump was way louder than the fans ever were, which was a huge disappointment. Looking online it seemed like the culprit was bubbles in the loop, and in my attempts to bleed them out the failure in my design became apparent. The reservoir above the pump was too shallow, and the pump too powerful for such a small loop, so when the pump was going it created a vortex that pulled more air into the system than could be bled out of it.

Thinking this could possibly be solved by lowering the voltage to the pump, I hooked up the pump to the mobo and play with the fan curves...but then the system didn't POST. Highly concerned, I pulled the entire system apart, put it back on a test bench (aircooled) to make sure everything was ok, and once it POSTed I checked the BIOS settings to see that the AIO pins would only run at 100% and couldn't be changed...

So I've abandoned the idea for now and am going back to air-cooled, but thought I would post my journey here as a cautionary tale in case others might be considering doing something similar. Or, someone may have solutions to the problems I encountered and succeed where I could not!

Reactions: gotcha43

John7up

What's an ITX?
Feb 24, 2019
Yes Dan, that's right, for one. I was thinking of implementing something just like Ncase M1 had but it supported 92mm in the back, so that's not possible. I haven't seen any estimate ETA for V4. Nor can I find a link for the upcoming 545LC From asetek or whatever the new model is called.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
I made the decision to not release Window Kits in the near future by myself because I am not very happy with the temp results on it. Also the v4 will support custom Window Kits very easily (pre drilled threads). For v4 there will be a 2D CAD file on my website later, that you can customize and upload to an Acrylic Onlinshop. Furthermore I send my old Window Kit CAD files to SFFLab and they will work on a official solution for you.

Maybe I will work on this topic in the future again by myself, but currently I have to work on more important topics like C4-SFX.

HylianSteel

Cable Smoosher
Feb 25, 2019
I registered today just to say this. I've been thinking of doing a SFF for a while now and I've been eyeing your A4-SFX v3 for some time. Today I was thinking of buying it, but all the official retailers have no stock anymore. I was kinda concerned and a google search led me here. To my surprise, I found out you're doing a v4! That's pretty amazing. I'm really looking forward to when the new version is out.

Creep

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 2, 2017
Welp, closed her up for the first time. Absolutely love it. Love SFFPC builds. I do have the slightly puffed side panel because of the cabling but it honestly doesn't even bother me that much. Hope to own it for a long time.

Decided to hold off on the custom sleeved cables and installing the Asetek on my 7700k for the moment being. Still unsure if I should upgrade my ZOTAC 1080 and/or MOBO/CPU before the Asetek. Wondering what the time/cost/risk would be to attempt replacing the stock switch with the Bulgin Vandal from my previous S4, as well.

Might try my hand at developing a home NAS & server before then.

Reactions: JonRican

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
@dondan

Have you considered a mounting solution for the psu at the bottom, so that a 92mm radiator can be mounted at the top? This would allow the pump from Asetek (545LC) to be seated lower than the radiator, and probably make sure there is no air pocket in the pump, causing it to be more noisy, or fail, in the long run.

advblue

Caliper Novice
Jan 13, 2019
Not that it matters much, I'd like to see black power button inside plastic. Maybe something to consider if there is going to be v5.

kanth

Trash Compacter
Feb 20, 2019
@dondan

Good day everyone,

May I ask sir , since there will be a new V4 Dan A4 Version ,
Is there any chance , to also produce the Chassis where the motherboard is now screwed on with bigger Cut out Gaps on them on top and bottom so that people with previous Versions can Install Fans below and Above the Motherboard?
I mean as a separate extra part for purchase.
Of course at a price , but to have the Option,
I think giving more gap there , it would make it possible if I'm not mistaken.

carpet3

Caliper Novice
Mar 1, 2019
Do you have an idea when in April? Beginning or the end? I'm looking to build a PC and would love to do it in a V4

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Another small update thanks to PSlate custom cables!
The 9900K has the long power duration limited to 120W.
I am back to the brickless A4! The Aorus 2080 Ti, under load is so fucking noisy! But under stress, it never goes above 70 degrees. So it means that tweaking a bit the fan curve, it will be much better!