DAN A4-SFX v4.1

anttip

Cable Smoosher
Jan 1, 2019
It will be available together with v4 release.

Here are my current changes for v4.

• New riser with 185mm short cable (like this https://www.sfflab.com/collections/parts/products/pcie-extender-adt) will drop retail price $10-$25
  • Adding 92mm fan mountpoint + ventholes under the motherboard
  • Lifting the PSU 5mm up to have more space for 92mm AIO
  • removing 120mm AIO bracket from included to optional (orderable over SFFLabs parts section)
  • USB 3.1 gen2 Typ-C at the front
  • adding mointpoints over the motherboard for 120mm AIO bracket to be able to mount a 120mm fan above motherboard
  • making the PWSW cable longer for better access on cheap MSI AM4 boards
  • changing HDD bracket to support for 15mm thick drives
If you have more ideas please let me know.

I just got my Dan A4 v3, and I've had great fun tinkering with it. It will be a useful portable workstation once I've got the cooling airflow worked out. My build uses suggestions from the forum&Youtube, with Asetek 92mm 545LC with Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM for CPU cooling, but the other motherboard components are getting so hot the CPU can't get close to good performance. I'll try adding another NF-A9x14 or Akasa AK-FN076 on the bottom, as well as on top of the motherboard and on top of the case, with the top&bottom activated only under high temps, so the case will still be low-noise under normal use.

The airflow seems to be the main issue with this case, and your changes 2,3 and 6 will help with that. I'd have two other ideas:

1) add flexibility to mounting the motherboard, by adding alternative screw positions:
- If I could mount the motherboard 5/10mm higher, I could put a 20/25mm thick fan on the bottom, or have more air clearance for a thinner one. And if I could mount it 5/10mm lower, I could put a thicker fan on the top.
- If I could mount the motherboard 5/10mm deeper, I'd have more space for CPU & motherboard fans. Or with even a deeper placement someone could remove the double-chamber, positioning a GPU on the same side as the CPU with more airflow for the motherboard.
These variations would also allow extending an AIO tube more if needed, and reposition cables for better fit.

2) replace the mesh panels with full-coverage mesh that doubles as mounting points and ventholes: Currently even the recommended Corsair 600 gets a quarter of its intake covered by the meshless part of the side panel. Adding intake/exhaust fans is handicapped since the mesh holes don't have the same airflow impedance as regular case fan ventholes. And its difficult to mount any fans, since aside from mesh holes and CPU/heatsink brackets there's nothing to attach fans. To me the best option now seems partially mounting fans using M2.5 bolts&nuts to the available mesh holes, and this sounds bad.

Idea 1) would require more holes in the case. Idea 2) could be mostly implemented with alternative side/top panels, if those could be available for purchase. I'd buy a set straight away :)

AseDen

Cable-Tie Ninja
Asetek
Dec 7, 2018
www.asetek.com
same here! :)

Which is the best AIO on the market now? My plan: Dan A4 with 120mm AIO and Noctua NF-A12x25

sorry for may bad english...

Not a 120mm, but we'll be launching a new improved version of the 92mm AIO as well. If you still want to have the option to go full-length GPU :)

Ranker

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2018
Not a 120mm, but we'll be launching a new improved version of the 92mm AIO as well. If you still want to have the option to go full-length GPU :)

What will the new improved version of the 92mm AIO change that would benefit us DAN case users?

AseDen

Cable-Tie Ninja
Asetek
Dec 7, 2018
www.asetek.com
What will the new improved version of the 92mm AIO change that would benefit us DAN case users?

Among improvements would be a new pump, which features less noise and slightly better performance. Furthermore we've been working at optimizing the tubes. I will be receiving an early prototype next week, and should be able to share some interesting stuff with you by then (hoping to get this done before CES!)

AseDen

Cable-Tie Ninja
Asetek
Dec 7, 2018
www.asetek.com
Sfflabs is taking preorder for an asetek 92mm AIO. Is that the new version?

As mentioned on Reddit. The image is not the new version, whether they're taking preorders for the new one is up to SFF Labs to clarify. They might've gotten a shipment of old 545LCs somewhere. They would be able to provide the answer on this, though :)

Reactions: chyll2

vcashmo

Minimal Tinkerer
Jan 3, 2019
For the v4 what thickness 92mm fan is supported below the motherboard? Will a 120mm above the motherboard be supported on the final version?

Creep

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 2, 2017
If I put my NHl9i on the Asetek, is there another Noctua you might suggest for the case itself? I see some builds with 40s(?) places.

Has anyone switched their NHl9i with a Redux?

nascentparadigm

Caliper Novice
Jan 4, 2019
Hey all,

I'm planning out my build and am trying to determine if it's possible to do a custom loop without having to use an AIO, or any external pumps/radiators. My v3 case is still in transit so I can't take measurements myself, and was hoping I could enlist some assistance...

Basically, the plan (as it stands) relies on being able to put this pump under the 120mm fan/radiator, which based on this review, means I would need at a minimum >37.5mm of vertical clearance, ideally >41.4mm.

With the fan/radiator placed as high as they can be in the v3 mount (with the inlet/outlet of the radiator at the bottom ideally), what is the vertical clearance? Image example of the placement:

deadline

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 9, 2018
Stupid question mayhaps, but will the new-ish Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB ram fit in the Dan A4? And even more importantly, will taller RAM fit with the new Asetek pump (as opposed to having tubes _over_ the ram)? @dondan @AseDen

Thanks!

Reactions: AseDen

AseDen

Cable-Tie Ninja
Asetek
Dec 7, 2018
www.asetek.com
Stupid question mayhaps, but will the new-ish Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB ram fit in the Dan A4? And even more importantly, will taller RAM fit with the new Asetek pump (as opposed to having tubes _over_ the ram)? @dondan @AseDen

Thanks!
Given ideal circumstances, I THINK it might be possible. But I cannot say this with a 100% certainty, as I'm limited to stock PSU cables and actually only have Corsair LPX ram for testing.

Will make sure to send a sample to @dondan soon, so he can start validating :)

Aux

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2018

Thanks!

Corsair vengeance pro rgb ram is 51 high(I have it in my hand . .). Spec for Dans case says 52 high is ok

Reactions: deadline

deadline

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 9, 2018
Given ideal circumstances, I THINK it might be possible. But I cannot say this with a 100% certainty, as I'm limited to stock PSU cables and actually only have Corsair LPX ram for testing.

Will make sure to send a sample to @dondan soon, so he can start validating :)

So it's not possible to say if the pipes are long enough to be routed underside or overside of the ram sticks as opposed to rest on top of the ram?

AseDen

Cable-Tie Ninja
Asetek
Dec 7, 2018
www.asetek.com
So it's not possible to say if the pipes are long enough to be routed underside or overside of the ram sticks as opposed to rest on top of the ram?

I cannot say with complete certainty. I think, that with custom PSU cables you'd be able to route the tubing below the RAM. However, I don't know if you might run into some kind of clearance issue.
I will be sending a sample to Daniel of Dan Case next week. I suppose he probably has some non-LPX ram lying around :)

Aux

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2018
Only Dan could say for sure.

it would also potentially depend on your mother board. There are pictures with an asrock board and an asetek cooler, but the ram is along the base of the case.
in a case with the 370i and an asetek cooler, they have corsair "low profile" vengeance ram showing the pipes going over the ram.

whats your mother board?

leram84

What's an ITX?
Jan 4, 2019
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/leram84/saved/sn8Bbv

Hey guys. This is going to be my first build and im pretty much swinging for the fences on this one lol, so im pretty nervous... Just trying to get any/as much feedback as possible so I don't mess this all up. I've already ordered the case and the aio so while i wait for those i figured i should check with you guys about the rest of this. It's pretty well researched, but i do have a few last issues/questions.

1) I feel pretty confident that the asetek/nf-a9 can handle a 5.2ghz oc (siliconlottery) 9700k (please lmk if im mistaken, or if there is a better fan out there), but I have read that there might be issues with the m.2 overheating. Can anyone confirm this? Is there a tested solution? Really I would like to know if there is anything i can do to improve thermals anywhere on this build, or if im supposed to (or even able to) add more fans anywhere.

2) Custom cables. I'm trying to find a source for something that is already made and tested with this config/case. It's a pretty popular one, but every time ive seen this or similar build referenced, i couldn't find an actual source... just a vague mention of needing custom cables. Would appreciate some direction here.

3) Storage. With this loadout, is there room for a second 2.5 ssd?

4) Should i consider an aftermarket 2080ti for better thermals? I've already accepted that i won't be able to do a window kit with this much heat, but not sure if should still be concerned with the gpu side airflow.

Thanks for any/all help!