spacefighter

What's an ITX?
New User
Jun 8, 2018
First post. Figured I'd share my build:

sjug

Cable Smoosher
Mar 8, 2018
Despite the slapped together "compatibility list" of the 120mm AIOs for the A4 v3 listing the EVGA CLC 120 is extremely NOT compatible.

The tubing comes out of the top of the pump and it is beyond impossible to fit the side of the case back on with the pump and block attached to the CPU.

Hopefully someone reading this doesn't blow $60 in the future... Thanks dondan.

Cane

Cable Smoosher
Feb 25, 2018
Hey Dan. Are there any plans to bring back the windowed sidepanels since the v3 is out? I would appreciate if theres an option to just buy the aluminium sidepanel without the acrylic since Im already planning on buying a custom one.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@dondan hey what’s up with your 120mm and hdplex configuration? The last time you said the hdplex got too hot?! How is it coming along? Please keep us posted on that.

Today I tested the new sample i got from HDPlex. Now it works like charme. The HdPlex is only hand warm and is rock solid with a GTX 1070 Founders Edition, a 120mm AIO for Ryzen 1700. The system needs 300W in Prime95.

Now I can finalize the work on the A4-SFX Water Cooling manual, because I know it works very well.

Last edited:

JAugust

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2018
Someone who got the DAN with a Be Quiet! SFX L 500/600W PSU?

Only PSUs I can see in the reviews are Corsair SFX (but I want SFX L) and the silverstone SFX L, but I'm not really that fond of SS

Last edited:

Drue

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2018
Is there anyway to cool an 8700k without delidding with this case? I am now seeing 120mm rads, and I thought only the 92mm rad worked?

Cerulean

Case Bender
May 27, 2018
Is there anyway to cool an 8700k without delidding with this case? I am now seeing 120mm rads, and I thought only the 92mm rad worked?
Downvolt the CPU and use a 92mm AIO is your best chance. Or put a noctua fan on a copper verison of C7

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@Drue: If you like to use a 8700K without delidding it, you need a very good cooling solution. In extreme situation like some rendering software (Keyshot) or system stability validation tool like Prime95 the core temp will reach 100°C in 2-3 minutes if you use a L9i or C7. Also games will peak out in the 80-90°C zone. Btw. also bigger ITX heatsinks that will not fit inside the A4 will have the same problems like Thermaltake AXP100, Zalman CNPS8900 s.o. This means you need a very big tower heatsink to handle the CPU.

Here are some solution how to handle the 8700K without delidding it inside the A4:
1) Disable Intel Turbo Mode in UEFI: The CPU will "only" clock with 3,7Ghz but is now very easy to cool.
2) Undervolt the CPU or maybe clock it some Mhz down. If you set the max multiplicator to 42 and set the offset voltage to -0.75 - -0,125V
you have still a high clock while the CPU generates less heat. The performance lost is low.
3) If you have the A4-SFX v2 you can use the 92mm Asetek AIO
4) If you have the A4-SFX v3, a full size GPU and a HDPlex PSU you can use a 120mm AIO. This solution can handle the 8700K also with light OC.
5) If you have the A4-SFX v3, a ITX size GPU and a SFX PSU you can also use a 120mm AIO. This solution can handle the 8700K also with light OC.
6) External Water cooling: Works on every A4 version, remove the I/O shield and route the pump of an big 240mm or 360mm AIO through it. Now reinstall the boards. The radiator can be placed behind the case or under the desk. This solution will give you the best thermal results and heatroom for OC.

Last edited:
Reactions: krinkle and Nanook

Drue

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2018
@Drue: If you like to use a 8700K without delidding it, you need a very good cooling solution. In extreme situation like some rendering software (Keyshot) or system stability validation tool like Prime95 the core temp will reach 100°C in 2-3 minutes if you use a L9i or C7. Also games will peak out in the 80-90°C zone. Btw. also bigger ITX heatsinks that will not fit inside the A4 will have the same problems like Thermaltake AXP100, Zalman CNPS8900 s.o. This means you need a very big tower heatsink to handle the CPU.

Here are some solution how to handle the 8700K without delidding it inside the A4:
1) Disable Intel Turbo Mode in UEFI: The CPU will "only" clock with 3,7Ghz but is now very easy to cool.
2) Undervolt the CPU or maybe clock it some Mhz down. If you set the max multiplicator to 42 and set the offset voltage to -0.75 - -0,125V
you have still a high clock while the CPU generates less heat. The performance lost is low.
3) If you have the A4-SFX v2 you can use the 92mm Asetek AIO
4) If you have the A4-SFX v3, a full size GPU and a HDPlex PSU you can use a 120mm AIO. This solution can handle the 8700K also with light OC.
5) If you have the A4-SFX v3, a ITX size GPU and a SFX PSU you can also use a 120mm AIO. This solution can handle the 8700K also with light OC.
6) External Water cooling: Works on every A4 version, remove the I/O shield and route the pump of an big 240mm or 360mm AIO through it. Now reinstall the boards. The radiator can be placed behind the case or under the desk. This solution will give you the best thermal results and heatroom for OC.

Thank you for the reply @dondan I think I am going to wait for your C4-SFX since the extra few liters don't make a difference to me. I've been following the C4 for awhile now very excited to see what is to come.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Here is a small list of temp values made with an Noctua L9i on an Intel i7 8700 that show what temps you can reach if you play with the maximum power consumtion of your CPU. On my Asrock board the value is called "Long Duration Power Limit" (LDPL). This value give you the chance to setup you CPU in that way that it will run in Intel specs and you are able to cool it. All results was made in Prime95 v26.6 (8k Test FFTs in place)

Auto (125W) = 100+°C /6x 4,3Ghz
95W = 91°C /6x 3,9-4,0Ghz
80W = 80°C /6x 3,7-3,8Ghz
65W = 72°C /6x 3,5-3,6Ghz

Special Test with LDPL @ 100W and untervolted - 0,1V.

100W + undervolt = 87°C / 6x 4,1 -4,2Ghz.

Reactions: krinkle and Bonk

JAugust

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2018

I'm kinda confused by the maximum length? so including the PCI bracket it can hold a Zotac 1080Ti AMP edition? (planning to buy that one, since I don't want a blowerstyle. too much noise) excuse me if I'm wrong, but don't you need to take off the PCI brackets to mount a GPU anyway? lol. I'm really confused about this one.

Given this, it says it will fit. but it's 148 high and 300mm in length. It's kinda confusing, but can someone confirm if the Zotac GTX 1080Ti AMP edition will fit in the DAN? If so I'll definitely go for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: krinkle

bananaboy93

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 28, 2018
Here are some impressions of the new A4-SFXv3. The pressure point of the power button is now very great, the 92mm AIO will fit without removing the front USB and today i did a first test with 120mm AIO, HDPlex PSU and full size GPU. The temps are very good in Prime95.

For some odd reason my 92mm AIO would not fit correctly...This is the v3 version, am i doing something wrong? Please help me.

bananaboy93

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 28, 2018
Just got my A4 setup today.

Asus Z370-i
i7-8700
ASETEK 92mm AIO w/ NF-A9X14
1TB 860EVO M.2
1TB 970EVO M.2
32GB G.Skill Trident
SilverStone SX650-G
EVGA 970 SC

**This is at 65W max setting**
I am seeing 36*C - 42*C at idle while doing web browsing, file copies etc.
Running PRIME95 60-64*C
These temps were pulled from Core Temp 1.12.1. My Asus AI Suite shows CPU temp at 55*C under load.

Room ambient temp is around 25-26* C
How did you get your 92mm to fit, mine would not fit the v3 case at all. By any chance can you compare the number to see if we got different 92mm models from asetek? thank you for the help!

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
For some odd reason my 92mm AIO would not fit correctly...This is the v3 version, am i doing something wrong? Please help me.

I have the v2, and had to remove the rubber clip from one side (or both, I can't remember) to fit the 92mm radiator.

bananaboy93

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 28, 2018
I have the v2, and had to remove the rubber clip from one side (or both, I can't remember) to fit the 92mm radiator.
ohhh, maybe thats the reason. Can someone else confirm that i have to remove the rubber clips to fit the 92mm AIO? thanks man!!

Bonk

Cable Smoosher
May 28, 2018
I am planning to order a v3 from the next batch, but have a hard time deciding which color is there any downside to waiting untill the end of august with ordering? Would it ship earlier if I order now?

yaj

Minimal Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2018
ohhh, maybe thats the reason. Can someone else confirm that i have to remove the rubber clips to fit the 92mm AIO? thanks man!!

I had to remove both of the clips to fit the radiator in the case.
But... i had very big troubles to fit the PSU (SF600) . The cables (Corsair flexible kit) taking the whole space even if i bend them almost 90°.
What am i doing wrong?
Where to put the powercables?I couldn't install lthe Asetek. What is the recommended order to install the parts?
Only video i could find where the asetec is installed is the judge mod on youtube, but this guy installs the noctua fan at the end and doesnt show it because he cuts it out.
I appreciate if someone could help me here.
Greetings

EDIT:
Oh I didnt see you wrote "rubber clips". IF you are speaking about the clips at the bottom of the case, i used them to fix the radiator with the screws from the case ( SSD cage). I was speaking about the clips you use to attach the side panel.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
I had to remove both of the clips to fit the radiator in the case.
But... i had very big troubles to fit the PSU (SF600) . The cables (Corsair flexible kit) taking the whole space even if i bend them almost 90°.
What am i doing wrong?
Where to put the powercables?I couldn't install lthe Asetek. What is the recommended order to install the parts?
Only video i could find where the asetec is installed is the judge mod on youtube, but this guy installs the noctua fan at the end and doesnt show it because he cuts it out.
I appreciate if someone could help me here.
Greetings

EDIT:
Oh I didnt see you wrote "rubber clips". IF you are speaking about the clips at the bottom of the case, i used them to fix the radiator with the screws from the case ( SSD cage). I was speaking about the clips you use to attach the side panel.

I recommend installing the radiator and fan first. Fan should be pulling air through the radiator. Plug in the front I/O next. Route the PWR and usb3 cables as best as you can. Followed by slowly angling the PSU, with all the cables already plugged in, into place. The PSU cables will be very tightly bent. The radiator tubing will able be bent very tightly. Just make sure the tubing isn’t kinked, and no cables are inside the fan. Secure PSU. Plug the PSU cables into motherboard last. If you want to push air through the radiator out of the case, you'll need to get a 92mm fan grill to keep cables and tubing out of the fan. But space will be even tighter with the grill. Some of the excess 24pin and 8pin cables may be tucked under the motherboard. You’ll also need low profile ram in order to close the side cover.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: yaj