dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@Joseph24

He used a external power supply (AC-DC)

and a internal DC-DC power supply

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...bto-psus-are-now-available-direct-order.1983/

Swoti

Minimal Tinkerer
Dec 28, 2018
Dondan. Is there a hardware recommendation from you for the new case. I remember you once posted a Geizhals list? Thanks.

Ze-goldfish

Minimal Tinkerer
Apr 11, 2019
Last year I build a Desktop for my girlfriend in the A4-SFX v3. Cools pretty decent (delidded 7700k), but before moving to such a size myself I would like to see some upgrades to the cooling (wisper quiet is the only way). Especially I really liked the idea of a A4-SFX-XL (would buy that immediately if it got released).

My idea:

Width: 112 -> 130mm
  1. All width increase on CPU side
Height: 200mm -> 226mm
  1. Space below and above motherboard from 12.9mm to 25.9mm
New support for "A4-SFX-XL"
  1. 26mm more space for longer PSU and/or thicker fans + AIO
  2. Support 3x120mm fans (standard thickness, 25mm) such as NF-A12x25 PWM for much better airflow
  3. Support 120mm AIO in the bottom instead of 92mm
  4. Support 66mm air coolers, e.g. Cryorig C7 with the relatively new NF-A12x25 PWM using a 92mm to 120mm adapter OR Noctua L12
  5. Support 2x2.5" SSD between PSU and GPU
  6. Support 10-20mm longer GPU's by using the space where an SSD currently can be installed in the front
Really hope something like that can become a reality some day :D

UnknownBehemoth

Trash Compacter
Mar 27, 2019
Last year I build a Desktop for my girlfriend in the A4-SFX v3. Cools pretty decent (delidded 7700k), but before moving to such a size myself I would like to see some upgrades to the cooling (wisper quiet is the only way). Especially I really liked the idea of a A4-SFX-XL (would buy that immediately if it got released).
Did you take a look at the Louqe Ghost S1? It supports 66mm air coolers. And they have extension add-ons for the stuff you need.

I was considering it before, but I decided on the the A4 cause it's cheaper, lighter and smaller. (And since I'm coming from the Ncase M1). Plus, the new cooling solutions (Black Ridge and 645 LT) helped nudge me to this decision. :p

Last edited:

Ze-goldfish

Minimal Tinkerer
Apr 11, 2019
Did you take a look at the Louqe Ghost S1? It supports 66mm air coolers. And they have extension add-ons for the stuff you need.

I was considering it before, but I decided on the the A4 cause it's cheaper, lighter and smaller. (And since I'm coming from the Ncase M1). Plus, the new cooling solutions (Black Ridge and 645 LT) helped nudge me to this decision. :p

No, I had not considered that, thanks for the tip. Though it basically allows for what I would like to see, it does it in a less compact manner.

To support what i suggested above, i would need the 26mm extension both in the bottom and the top making it 14mm higher and 10mm thicker than It could be with a "A4-SFX-XL". :)

That would be a difference in case volume of 9.31 Liter vs 10.82 Liter.

LiYonJin

Caliper Novice
Mar 9, 2019

same, I just got the louqe but resold it back on the market for the same cost because its too heavy, weight important especially if you want to travel with it. just didnt make sense to get a ghost.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
No, I had not considered that, thanks for the tip. Though it basically allows for what I would like to see, it does it in a less compact manner.

To support what i suggested above, i would need the 26mm extension both in the bottom and the top making it 14mm higher and 10mm thicker than It could be with a "A4-SFX-XL". :)

That would be a difference in case volume of 9.31 Liter vs 10.82 Liter.

I currently work on the C4-SFX a ~10L case with similar size. Furthermore I plan to redesign the A4-SFX next year/end of the year completely with support for the Noctua L12S in 8L

Ze-goldfish

Minimal Tinkerer
Apr 11, 2019
I currently work on the C4-SFX a ~10L case with similar size. Furthermore I plan to redesign the A4-SFX next year/end of the year completely with support for the Noctua L12S in 8L

Nice, that sounds epic :D

Could you consider 120mm bottom case fans (could be with that width) and possibly moving motherboard completely to the top to support standard thickness fans in the bottom (12.9mm below motherboard + 12.9mm above motherboard = 25.8mm space combined)

Also I really think you could add two additional SSD mounts in the space between GPU and PSU if you move the PSU to still be mounted flat against the side panel (when the case is widened for L12S support)

Looking forward to see what you come up with ^^ The A4-SFX really is a nice series of cases

LiYonJin

Caliper Novice
Mar 9, 2019
regarding the changelog for v4, was the psu lifted up 5mm? and PWSW cable made longer for better access ? feels like there wasn't much changes now

Last edited:

friendscatdied

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2017
Thanks. I guess I'll buy the Black Ridge just for the fan (and as an air cooler backup for 645LT I guess) -- hopefully second-hand as I'd rather not support Alpenfohn.

Last edited:

Hellow

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 7, 2019
VLP ram (18-19mm). Here are some kits that will work on any board:

[…]

DATARAM DVM24E2T8V/16G 16GB PC-2400
Crucial CT16G4XFD8266 16GB PC-2666
Micron MTA18ADF2G72AZ 16GB PC2133-PC3200

All of them are ECC UDIMM. Are you sure it'll work on any board ?

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
All of them are ECC UDIMM. Are you sure it'll work on any board ?

I can confirm that right now there is just VLP RAM that is unregistered and non ECC made by Innodisk after request for a non consumer grade customer. And now here comes the big surprise:

Kingston grouped up with Nanya to produce exactly this VLP or ULP RAM modules in 4GB and 8GB capacities! Running @2666MHz it should be fine for modern Intel based systems:

KVR26N19S8L/8

KVR26N19S6L/4

They are even very reasonably priced at around 20€ each 4GB...so I payed 80€ for a 16GB Dual Channel configuration and can confirm the compatibility with my i7-8700K running at a Z390 Board. Hope that information might help some of you out as the RAM wasn’t publicly announced but released this year!

Reactions: NinoPecorino

UnknownBehemoth

Trash Compacter
Mar 27, 2019
Furthermore I plan to redesign the A4-SFX next year/end of the year completely with support for the Noctua L12S in 8L
Wow a L12S, that's going to have a bit wider footprint. Maybe for a feature you could have multiple case orientations to reduce the desk area, like the tall orientation of the Corsair One PCs if possible could be considered.

I'm sick of the NF-A9x14 being the only option and will gladly vote with my money by buying the Alpenfohn's fan instead.
Why sick of the Noctua? They're the only company that's cool enough to bother with such a niche size. That's a plus in my book.