DAN A4-SFX v4.1

PeGys

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 13, 2019
Wow really? Was my plan to get some more cooling. How did you mount it?

The v3 (don't know about the v2) model has a 120mm mounting plate for 120mm aio's.

I am waiting on my new PSU before I can install mine.

For extra flow, i need to see the case with the 120mm installed first...

PeGys

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 13, 2019
Yeah I know. But maybe he used custom cables as well. I know the 2018 version has sleeved cables
Corsair sf600 platinum (2018).
Stock 24-pin
Cablemod 8-pin
Cablemod single SATA power
Cablemod dual 8-pin PCI-E (Instead of the 2 separate ones it's a single cable with 2 connectors)

The reason I got cablemod cables (that by the way, are way to expensive) is because the stock cables are too long, have too many connectors for SATA on one cable and use 2 separate 6+2-pin cables while I now use a single cable with dual 8-pin for PCI-E.

blno

Efficiency Noob
Nov 27, 2018
How do people mount a Noctua A9x14 under the motherboard?

I have an ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/AC, and it doesn't seem to fit. It's difficult to measure but I think there's about 12-13 mm of clearance below.

SkyhookJr

Caliper Novice
Jan 14, 2019
I have the same board blno. Also have a A9x14 that i was goiing to try to fit under the board. Was going to start my build this weekend. I read posts that you need to unscrew the riser to get the fan in. What I would like to know is if the fan in this position creates a lot of noise/turbulance and will annoy me enough to have to take everything apart to remove it - I can’t stand noisy systems. Could we get some feedback on noise levels on fans below the motherboard?
Thanks.

Reactions: icymind

nascentparadigm

Caliper Novice
Jan 4, 2019
Could we get some feedback on noise levels on fans below the motherboard?
Thanks.

I have an A9x14 under an Asus x470i, and I can't hear it at all - at least not over the sound of the 2070's fans...that is if you have it pointing in the right direction (up/intake). I installed it upside down at first and it made a terrible racket. I think I also had the low-noise adapter plugged into it, but can't verify at the moment as the system is in pieces...

Reactions: SkyhookJr

PeGys

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 13, 2019
Even when you have the A9x14 running out of the case, at higher rpm it's always audible. Everything is RPM dependent.
If you mount it under the motherboards, at low rpm (+/- 600 ~ 800 rpm), it will be hardly audible.
If you run it at full speed, it will be loud.

I had it installed in the normal 92mm fan position with the rubbers and it was still loud when cranking up the rpm.
If you just connect it to a fan header on the motherboard and use a fan curve, it will be silent most of the time.

I use it on the 545LC and on normal tasks, it's dead silent. Once you stess the CPU or start gaming, you will certainly hear it, but at the point you start gaming, you GPU fans will start spinning and the PSU fun (in case of a corsair/silverstone psu) will start spinning as well and that one noctua fan will be the least of your concerns.

Just think about the fact the PCI riser cable will likely block alot of airflow.

Last edited:
Reactions: SkyhookJr

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Another small update.
Switched to a Gigabyte MB (the Asrock wasn't working with the Guniqe, and still don't know why and my second ASUS boards had water on it, so It is not stable anymore).
Trying to see the capabilities of the TX120 with a Gentle Typhoon 1850 PMW.
For sure I need to power limit the CPU, I hope only to 160W and AVX offset of 4/5. Trying to keep everything at max 90 degrees after 30 minutes of Prime95+Heaven.
Then, I'll try again the HW Labs LS, same fan, to see the cooling difference!

This is also for you @Wahaha360

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
What fittings do you use on the radiator?

Are the Koolance Low profile, the smallest available
https://koolance.com/fitting-single-black-swiveling-elbow-low-profile

Plus the Barrow 13/10mm. The Bitspower are a bit thicker and they touch each other, in the pump block especially and also in the radiator.

BTW, Dan, I would like to have the radiator on the outside and the fan on GPU side, but the USB is too high and was not possible.
I don't know if this is fixed in the V4!! I am just talking in this specific position, with the fittings on top.

Reactions: dondan

anttip

Cable Smoosher
Jan 1, 2019
I have the same board blno. Also have a A9x14 that i was goiing to try to fit under the board. Was going to start my build this weekend. I read posts that you need to unscrew the riser to get the fan in. What I would like to know is if the fan in this position creates a lot of noise/turbulance and will annoy me enough to have to take everything apart to remove it - I can’t stand noisy systems. Could we get some feedback on noise levels on fans below the motherboard?
Thanks.

Overall not recommended. Under full load in this position A9x14 will make a lot of noise. It will only fit in pull config, with the motherboard and riser cables pressing against the plastic fan guard. If you use a low-noise adapter it won't do much cooling. v4 will have an actual fan position here, so it should work fine.

Before fitting a case fan you can try plugging it into the case fan power and going into bios, with the side panel removed. You can then test it at different speeds against the bottom or side panel in pull vs push. You should hear an annoying buzz when trying the pull config. It will be even worse under the mobo, since the mobo and riser cable will push against the fan and further obstruct the airflow, causing more noise from the fan.

If you still want to try the fan under the motherboard, the easy way to do this is to first unscrew the motherboard, squeeze the backpanel inside the case, and unplug&loosen the power cables from the mobo. You can then shift the motherboard up to give space for the fan, and then pull the mobo back down in place. This way you don't have to pull apart your entire build to try the fan.

PeGys

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 13, 2019
Overall not recommended. Under full load in this position A9x14 will make a lot of noise. It will only fit in pull config, with the motherboard and riser cables pressing against the plastic fan guard. If you use a low-noise adapter it won't do much cooling. v4 will have an actual fan position here, so it should work fine.

Before fitting a case fan you can try plugging it into the case fan power and going into bios, with the side panel removed. You can then test it at different speeds against the bottom or side panel in pull vs push. You should hear an annoying buzz when trying the pull config. It will be even worse under the mobo, since the mobo and riser cable will push against the fan and further obstruct the airflow, causing more noise from the fan.

If you still want to try the fan under the motherboard, the easy way to do this is to first unscrew the motherboard, squeeze the backpanel inside the case, and unplug&loosen the power cables from the mobo. You can then shift the motherboard up to give space for the fan, and then pull the mobo back down in place. This way you don't have to pull apart your entire build to try the fan.

Also depends on the riser cable. V4 will have a adt riser cable which is shorter than the Lian-li one so no excess cable so you should be quite safe with the fan. This cable it compatible with the previous dan-a4 revisions and can be bought separatly. Though, the v3 and before are not meant to have a fan there, it should be possible. Using a descent fan curve, you can keep it quite silent too without a low noise adapter.

The V4 has a slightly risen mobo position helping the placement of the fan but with the right riser cable and cable management, it should be possible to get a fan in previous revisions.

Low airflow is still better than no airflow at all. Certainly if you are running watercooled and the motherboard has no additional airflow like when you run on air.

Reactions: fabio

JAugust

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2018
okay maybe i have the dumbest question ever.. But currently I'm looking for a motherboard for a Ryzen 3700X/2700X. I wanna cool it with the Asetek 545LC. but how do you connect the pump? just a pwm header? this would be my first AIO? motherboard I'm looking at right now is an Asrock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming ITX/ac. totally lost on this lol

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
okay maybe i have the dumbest question ever.. But currently I'm looking for a motherboard for a Ryzen 3700X/2700X. I wanna cool it with the Asetek 545LC. but how do you connect the pump? just a pwm header? this would be my first AIO? motherboard I'm looking at right now is an Asrock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming ITX/ac. totally lost on this lol
I will go for an Asus B450 for the Front M.2 and few more things that I don't remember, actually!
For the AIO, just plug it in the AIO header or CPU, is the same. Just be sure in the bios to set the FULL SPEED for the header you will use!

Reactions: AseDen

JAugust

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2018
I'll be using a regular m2 SSD. not the nvme. the 1TB nvme is way too expensive for my liking lol. besides that, it can be on the back, I don't mind that since regular SSDs wont get that hot, and I got the V4 riser cable in my Dan, so that's not in the way either. + I also like that the ASRock has SPDIF, since my speakers use that lol. the Asus and the Gigabyte doesn't have spdif.

But if it's set to full speed, wouldn't that be like really loud..??

Last edited:
Reactions: fabio

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I'll be using a regular m2 SSD. not the nvme. the 1TB nvme is way too expensive for my liking lol. besides that, it can be on the back, I don't mind that since regular SSDs wont get that hot, and I got the V4 riser cable in my Dan, so that's not in the way either.

But if it's set to full speed, wouldn't that be like really loud..??
I mean, I suggest to keep the pump at full speed for an AIO, and the fan of course depending by the CPU temp. Of course if the fan header you choose support the DC mode, you can have a curve for the pump depending from the CPU speed as well, but I will not go below 60% for the liquid flow. Of course depends from the pump power! Maybe @AseDen has a better advice!

Last edited:
Reactions: PeGys