DAN A4-SFX v4.1

Lekic

Cable Smoosher
Dec 2, 2018
Just limit to 140/160W TDP! I am at 120W with a L9i and it is still far better and cooler than my 2700X.
Even with gaming load I'm getting low-mid 70's on gaming load (I got a pretty rubbish chip, 4.6@1.2v). :(
Although the temps aren't horrible, I'm really just keen on the idea of having as 240mm rad comfortably cool the chip in as small a form factor as possible. If Dan could squish one into an A4 somehow it would be amazing!

Lekic

Cable Smoosher
Dec 2, 2018
This was only a example picture and has nothing to do with the layout of a possible A4-XL. I removed the picture because I think it creates more irritation than it helps. My intention was to show what a uni body metal part looks like.
Ah, my mistake. Either way, if a 240mm rad was possible it would be awesome! I would buy it immediately. Otherwise I'll probably just wait for the C4 (p.s. I prefer the original mockup)! :D

Lekic

Cable Smoosher
Dec 2, 2018
@Lekic: The C4-SFX is my product for 240mm AIO cooling.
Sounds good to me! I'll go give my 2 cents on that thread! I look forward to getting my hands on one of those soon!

Edit: I bought an A4-SFX about a month ago. Absolutely loving it! Keep up the amazing work Dan!

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Sounds good to me! I'll go give my 2 cents on that thread! I look forward to getting my hands on one of those soon!

Edit: I bought an A4-SFX about a month ago. Absolutely loving it! Keep up the amazing work Dan!
I totally agree, I am trying so many SFF from the community, missing a lot of course, but the DAN Case has the highest quality and it's a joy to build inside it, squeezing, etc. And everything it's so easy to do!

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
Would be someone interested in a A4-XL that has an increased width from 114 to 130 so you can install air coolers up to 66mm like the Noctua L12? I am also interested in using uni body desgin (no inner frame) for this version to bring the costs down. This design has also the future potential to use die stamping to reduce the costs a lot. I don't know if a case like this could co exists with the current A4.

The size would be 130x312x200 (WxLxH) = 8.1L

I would be very interested since the addiction of that second fan at the bottom of the MoBo area that lessen the need for a 240 AIO for the CPU! And because I'm much more interested in CPU performances than GPU performances, having a 2 slot GPU would be not a problem for me!

Reactions: fabio

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Would be someone interested in a A4-XL that has an increased width from 114 to 130 so you can install air coolers up to 66mm like the Noctua L12? I am also interested in using uni body desgin (no inner frame) for this version to bring the costs down. This design has also the future potential to use die stamping to reduce the costs a lot. I don't know if a case like this could co exists with the current A4.

I would love the ability to add more cooling capability to the A4. The toughest part would be deciding how much cooler height to add. 66mm would accommodate a NH-L12, 70mm may be better as it accommodates the newer NH-L12S. I am currently testing the Louqe with NH-L12 abd an A12x25 underneath by using VLP ram, and are seem to be doing ok with a 95-150w power limited 9900K.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
@Nanook: Did you also tested NH-L12 with A12x15 and default height ram?
I've tested the L12S in the Nouvolo Steck, Exhaust mode:

TDP Limit of the 9900K to 140W for the Long Period, and well, now under Prime after 1 hour it stays rock solid at 4.3GHZ, no thermal throttling, 80 Degrees CPU Package!

Under Intel BurnTest, 10 loop, Frequencies between 4.5 and 4.7, Max Temp reached is 95 degrees.

In Intake mode, I didn't try, but you've said we have better temp than exhaust!

JAugust

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2018
That's actually interesting that Dondan picked a Ryzen 2700X with the black ridge, is that with the stock clockspeeds @ 2700X and is that just the stock fan on the black ridge?

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
@Nanook: Did you also tested NH-L12 with A12x15 and default height ram?
No, I don’t think a 15mm slim fan would fit under the NH-L12 with my Corsair LPX ram (shortest I have that isn’t VLP). I don’t have any regular height bare ram.

Side note for reference — I’ve tried a A12x15 under a NH-L12S with LPX ram with a 8700K in a Lone L4 (build log here), and remember it running about 75-80c at 130w power draw.

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
@dondan I would like to ask if you have a suggested custom sized length for DAN case cables! Do you? Could you share with us?
Thanks a lot!

Cheng

Caliper Novice
Sep 29, 2018
It will be available together with v4 release.

Here are my current changes for v4.

• New riser with 185mm short cable (like this https://www.sfflab.com/collections/parts/products/pcie-extender-adt) will drop retail price $10-$25
  • Adding 92mm fan mountpoint + ventholes under the motherboard
  • Lifting the PSU 5mm up to have more space for 92mm AIO
  • removing 120mm AIO bracket from included to optional (orderable over SFFLabs parts section)
  • USB 3.1 gen2 Typ-C at the front
  • adding mointpoints over the motherboard for 120mm AIO bracket to be able to mount a 120mm fan above motherboard
  • making the PWSW cable longer for better access on cheap MSI AM4 boards
  • changing HDD bracket to support for 15mm thick drives
If you have more ideas please let me know.

Spot on for shorter riser cable, reduced price, optional AIO mount, 15mm HDD bracket, front type-c and 92mm fan mountpoint.!

1. Everything is perfect when I received my v3 except for the power button. The button's travel distance is so short and and felt so hard when it bottoms out. It doesn't reflect the premium quality of the case at all. The first thing I looked up online after receiving the case was to find power button mods.

2. More documentation on your case's official website and SFF lab page for the following info:
- list the tallest and longest graphics card that can fit inside the case for reference
- let the common GPUs including 2070 & 2080 that would fit inside the case
- list the common CPU coolers for both intel and amd
- cable mod length

I am sure you are aware of the Ghost m1 case. They have a few pdfs (about graphics card with top hat choices and cooler choices) on their site that are very useful. (Your case audiences are very much likely to use 3rd party cooler and cable solutions, they need these information before making purchasing decisions)

To be really picky about the design (if you haven't given up on reading this post yet):

- A slightly shorter power cable (9 to 10 cm shorter), so when it goes around the front and to the top, it can plug into sf450 or 600 directly without the 10cm or so left over
- A slightly shorter power button cord
- A slightly shorter USB3 cable

Thanks for this wonderful case :)

Last edited:

Cheng

Caliper Novice
Sep 29, 2018

Considering how many people have asked and discussed cooling solutions for the current A4, yes, the benefit definitely outweighs the slight increase in volume. I don't see how the A4 and A4-XL could co-exist though.

enricko7

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 12, 2018

I for one, would go for a larger A4. More compatibility for cpu coolers is welcome, though I would still prefer the 'sandwich' design. Would it follow the v4 update allowing bottom intake mounted fans (2x120)?

Sldr

Average Stuffer
Feb 7, 2017

I’d buy that in a heartbeat, would even want to beta-test early versions for you, got the Celcius S24 and Asus Rog Ruyjin 240 waiting to be installed on my 8086K and RTX2080Ti. My testings would offer performance of your case with AAA-hardware... Hit me up if you’re up for it!

(Btw, owner of a v1 and v2 and made a guide to make custom plexiglass panels for the A4-SFX...)

Reactions: Nanook

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
I’d buy that in a heartbeat, would even want to beta-test early versions for you, got the Celcius S24 and Asus Rog Ruyjin 240 waiting to be installed on my 8086K and RTX2080Ti. My testings would offer performance of your case with AAA-hardware... Hit me up if you’re up for it!

(Btw, owner of a v1 and v2 and made a guide to make custom plexiglass panels for the A4-SFX...)
Same here. I'd love to test a larger A4. I have the v1 and v2. I may get the v4 if it supports a top exhaust -- currently using 2x 40mm fans for top exhaust, and 1x 40mm fan for bottom intake.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Same here. I'd love to test a larger A4. I have the v1 and v2. I may get the v4 if it supports a top exhaust -- currently using 2x 40mm fans for top exhaust, and 1x 40mm fan for bottom intake.
How did you Mount the top exhaust?