DAN A4-SFX v4.1

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
It will be available together with v4 release.

Here are my current changes for v4.

• New riser with 185mm short cable (like this https://www.sfflab.com/collections/parts/products/pcie-extender-adt) will drop retail price $10-$25
  • Adding 92mm fan mountpoint + ventholes under the motherboard
  • Lifting the PSU 5mm up to have more space for 92mm AIO
  • removing 120mm AIO bracket from included to optional (orderable over SFFLabs parts section)
  • USB 3.1 gen2 Typ-C at the front
  • adding mointpoints over the motherboard for 120mm AIO bracket to be able to mount a 120mm fan above motherboard
  • making the PWSW cable longer for better access on cheap MSI AM4 boards
  • changing HDD bracket to support for 15mm thick drives
If you have more ideas please let me know.

Inversion (upside down internals) support? This would be welcomed by many AIO users. Although maybe too much re-tooling...

Reactions: AseDen

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
@dondan I have a question, an important one about your case:

Which is the best bottom fan direction for CPU cooler like the Black Ridge/Noctua L12S? Exhausting to outside or Intaking fresh air from outside?
No one can answer in this? Because the above coolers come with the fan preinstalled as exhaust (Noctua should have a reason for that!), but all people suggest as intake. Am I missing something?

JAugust

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2018
@dondan I have a question, an important one about your case:

Which is the best bottom fan direction for CPU cooler like the Black Ridge/Noctua L12S? Exhausting to outside or Intaking fresh air from outside?
No one can answer in this? Because the above coolers come with the fan preinstalled as exhaust (Noctua should have a reason for that!), but all people suggest as intake. Am I missing something?

Hmm yeah, i want to know this as well, because I might be going for a blackridge.

JAugust

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2018
@dondan does the V4 riser also fit in a V3? and can you order the psu bracket from the V4 for the V3 as well?

@fabio does that even fit in your dan? I'm curious about the outcome. :)

Last edited:

Lekic

Cable Smoosher
Dec 2, 2018
@dondan will the v3 compatible changes be offered as an "upgrade pack" (i.e. the 185mm riser, PSU bracket, USB-C 3.1 G2)?

Also, you mentioned bracket mounting above the mobo
adding mointpoints over the motherboard for 120mm AIO bracket to be able to mount a 120mm fan above motherboard
Would this support a 120mm aio over the mobo or only a 120mm fan? If its only a fan, will it fit on top of an Asetek 545LC CPU mount?

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@JAugust: Yes it will fit in v1, v2 and v3.

@Lekic: I have no plans offering a upgrade kit.

It will only fit a 120mm fan. I think it will be a very close fit between Asetek pump and side panel. Maybe you can fit a Scythe 12mm slim 120mm fan.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Would be someone interested in a A4-XL that has an increased width from 114 to 130 so you can install air coolers up to 66mm like the Noctua L12? I am also interested in using uni body desgin (no inner frame) for this version to bring the costs down. This design has also the future potential to use die stamping to reduce the costs a lot. I don't know if a case like this could co exists with the current A4.

The size would be 130x312x200 (WxLxH) = 8.1L

Last edited:

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 16, 2017
For me, I simply wouldn't go for extra 1 liter only for cpu cooler height increase. Instead, I prefer the current design with itx gpu with 120mm aio.

Last edited:
Reactions: deadline

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Would be someone interested in a A4-XL that has an increased width from 114 to 130 so you can install air coolers up to 66mm like the Noctua L12? I am also interested in using uni body desgin (no inner frame) for this version to bring the costs down. This design has also the future potential to use die stamping to reduce the costs a lot. I don't know if a case like this could co exists with the current A4.

The size would be 130x312x200 (WxLxH) = 8.1L

Here is a example (based on an past C4 drawing) on how the metal parts looks like for uni body :
I will love it!
Especially the possibilities to use a 120mm fan du push fresh air in.
But one suggestion: please, goes till 70mm for CPU cooler. THe L12, will never ever produced, and with 4mm more, the L12S is the BEST CPU cooler till that height.
I will buy it NOW just for testing, man!

Reactions: Nanook

Lekic

Cable Smoosher
Dec 2, 2018
Assuming that A4 XL can take what looks like 240mm worth of rad, YES! :D

I'm currently running an i9-9900k with an Asetek 545LC. Suffice to say that its struggling to keep that monster cool. My #1 option was a Dan C4-SFX, the A4-XL would be my second. Assuming they take too long to get to market I may have to look at an NCase/Ghost but I'd much rather stick to one of your products. The build quality of my A4 is amazing! It simply cannot handle the heat that the 9900k produces. :(

Reactions: fabio

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016

I'm currently running an i9-9900k with an Asetek 545LC. Suffice to say that its struggling to keep that monster cool. My #1 option was a Dan C4-SFX, the A4-XL would be my second. Assuming they take too long to get to market I may have to look at an NCase/Ghost but I'd much rather stick to one of your products. The build quality of my A4 is amazing! It simply cannot handle the heat that the 9900k produces. :(
Just limit to 140/160W TDP! I am at 120W with a L9i and it is still far better and cooler than my 2700X.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015

This was only a example picture and has nothing to do with the layout of a possible A4-XL. I removed the picture because I think it creates more irritation than it helps. My intention was to show what a uni body metal part looks like.

Reactions: fabio

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Are you sure? You can easily buy it from Noctua directly on Amazon.
Yes, of course they've restocked them for the Ghost, but I am pretty sure will be not produced more. Even on the website they say that is discontinued. There is no point for them to support it anymore: their L12S is only 4mm taller for 10 degrees of better cooling. Of course the RAM height clearance is in favor of the L12, but I don't think it's matter in the SFF world. Anyway, it is just a suggestion.
If your read in the ghost slack thread, almost every people are bending the L12S to reach 66mm after tested how far is better compared to the L12.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Why not install a A12x15 under the fin array of the L12. It will fit with default high ram (33mm)

Admiral

Cable Smoosher
Dec 3, 2018
It will be available together with v4 release.

Here are my current changes for v4.

[...]

• changing HDD bracket to support for 15mm thick drives
If you have more ideas please let me know.

If you make a 15mm HDD bracket, please consider that there is actually room for up to three (3) 15mm HDDs in the A4. Perhaps change the base bracket to accommodate two 15mm HDDs, and sell an optional bracket to accommodate three. I would gladly buy that bracket. My A4 v3 arrived today and I am gutted to find that the included bracket doesn't fit 15mm drives.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woxys and fabio

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
We can, of course! But, I am only saying, IF you want to go bigger now/future, why not to take into consideration the present solutions, and not one from the past, already discontinued basically? The L12S IS the reference right now till 70mm height, but it's up to you of course!

Reactions: deadline